Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
States making move to circumvent Electoral College (link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 386

States making move to circumvent Electoral College (link)

Apr 5, 2019, 10:23 AM

I wasn't aware this was happening - it sounds feasible though.

https://www.cnn.com/2019/04/04/politics/new-mexico-popular-vote/index.html

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ahh...the bane of every large democracy that has failed

Apr 5, 2019, 10:32 AM

And that's ALL of them btw. Tyranny of the majority. That's why we were designed to be a republic.

Might as well dismantle the Senate as well while you're at it. And cities and urban interests will rule the land. Heck, do away with the Senate and California and New York can rule the country.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's impressive that our founders knew to put the EC in

Apr 5, 2019, 10:45 AM

place.

I'll admit - it would be interesting to see the difference in a campaign being run to win the popular vote. I'm in NC (a swing state) and we were buried with Trump/Hillary ads in 2016. If elections were won by popular vote - most of that campaign money would have been spent elsewhere (like Cali and NY) and not in NC.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: It's impressive that our founders knew to put the EC in

Apr 5, 2019, 10:49 AM

they James madison was afraid of a true democracy.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

French Revolution says hello.

Apr 5, 2019, 11:41 AM

As does the Weimar Republic, the Kerensky Provisional Government of Russia, Kuomintang Government of China, and the Democratic People's Republic of Korea.

And we won't go into the Roman Republic, which collapsed into a string of tyrants.

James Madison knew what he was doing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They all were, and for good reason.***

Apr 5, 2019, 12:12 PM [ in reply to Re: It's impressive that our founders knew to put the EC in ]

Yep. All in cities, and all in large population states.

Apr 5, 2019, 11:23 AM [ in reply to It's impressive that our founders knew to put the EC in ]

If you know history though, the very same urban/rural demographic (hence political) divide that exists today existed back then. At our founding, rural agrarian interests differed greatly from urban/industrial interests. Back then the rural farmers had the power in numbers to make a true democracy into a republican (anti-federalist) state.

Power was to be kept as much as possible in the states, and federally, power was to be equally distributed among the states, not a total count of the popular vote. If that had happened, we would have failed long before the Civil War. Our founders knew the dangers inherent in a democracy. The only way we could be "democratic" was to have popular elections among the states, but function as a republic of states and not as one federal entity. The French overthrew their monarchy at about the same time as we founded our republic. The key difference was the French did not address the tyranny of the majority, and that's exactly what they got. France disintegrated into the Reign of Terror and eventually you ended up with Napoleon.

All large democracies fail. Always have, and always will. Historically democracies have always thrived in smaller, homogeneous states where people of like political, religious, and social beliefs could govern themselves effectively. But in a large, populous, and diverse nation with many religions, many social beliefs, and diverse political beliefs, democracies ALWAYS fail because you can not make everyone happy when the majority controls policy for all. Disperse that power among 50 states (or 13), and let each state have autonomy in making and establishing their own laws, and you get 13 states with happier people than if one federal government made the laws for all 13 states. Take abortion as an example. It should be a state issue, but isn't. If it were a state issue, you would have states where it is legal, states where it is illegal, and overall you would not have 50% of Americans unhappy about it. You may have a minority in each state unhappy, but a minority of people in each state unhappy one way or another, is better than 50% of everyone in all states combined unhappy about it.

To this day it makes my skin crawl when I hear a President, internet troll, or even a political science professor refer to the United States as a "democracy". A democracy has a centralized government with a popular ("democratic") vote. I can not tell you how many POSC professors at Clemson cited the United States as the lone "exception" to the rule that large democracies always fail. To them I always retorted that we are not a democracy but a republic, a "democratic republic", with republic coming first. Think of democratic as meaning every citizen has a voice and a vote. Think of republic as a functional mechanism of governance, dispersing instead of centralizing power. Understand and combine the two and you understand our founding and our Constitution.

Many a nation has fallen to tyrants that were once "democracies". The republic part is what differentiates the United States from all of the rest. Add to that checks and balances and three branches and you have the bedrock upon which we thrive. And today I have no clue why the 10th Amendment is still even in the Bill of Rights anymore. It was destroyed by the implementation and interpretation of the 14th Amendment so as to be basically worthless.

There was a time when we had political leaders who understood all of what I just typed. That is no longer the case sadly.

Interesting quote by Alexander Hamilton

Apr 5, 2019, 11:24 AM [ in reply to Ahh...the bane of every large democracy that has failed ]

The primary reason the Electoral College was created was so "that the office of President will never fall to the lot of any man who is not in an eminent degree endowed with the requisite qualifications". The idea is that we avoid electing a demagogue.

a leader who gains popularity in a democracy by exploiting prejudice and ignorance among the common people, whipping up the passions of the crowd and shutting down reasoned deliberation. Demagogues overturn established norms of political conduct, or promise or threaten to do so.

I wonder what Hamilton would have to say about current office holder. Would he view him as the electoral college's greatest example of success?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Spoken like a true Federalist.

Apr 5, 2019, 12:05 PM

Many a tyrant has risen to power on the popular vote.

Originally, the electors were chosen by the state legislatures, and only later by popular vote. The states can choose a winner take all result, or apportion them by the popular vote. They are free to do this.

A little more insight:

Preference for Direct Legislative Choice of Electors at the Convention
Among the most controversial issues at the Constitutional Convention was the method of
selecting the President. The delegates debated this issue on 21 non-consecutive days and required
60 ballots, relating to seven distinct proposals, prior to obtaining consensus on the final
provisions (Bowen 189; Slonin 35; Katz 2). Proposals included Congressional choice, state
legislative choice, national popular vote, and an Electoral College system whereby Electors
within districts of each state would be elected for the purpose of choosing the President (Farrand
21, 68, 80; vol. 1; Farrand 29, 31-32, vol. 2).

Gouverneur Morris’ proposal that the people at large elect the President was defeated by
a 9-1 vote, with George Mason of Virginia asserting: “It would be as unnatural to refer the
choice of a proper character for a chief Magistrate to the people, as it would to refer a trial of
colors to a blind man. The extent of the Country renders it impossible that the people can have
the requisite capacity to judge of the respective pretensions of the candidates” (Farrand 29, 31-
32; vol. 2). Later in the Convention, Gouverneur Morris captured a primary motive of those who,
like himself, favored popular election as being the preference of the lesser of two evils as
compared to election of the President by Congress: “No body had appeared to be satisfied with
an appointment by [Congress]. Many were anxious even for an immediate choice by the people”
(emphasis supplied) (Farrand 500; vol. 2).

After debating the alternatives, Gouverneur Morris moved to treat the determination of
the method of electing the President as “not being yet finally determined,” which passed
(Farrand 480; vol. 2). Consequently, the issue was referred to a special committee consisting of
one delegate from each state. This committee introduced a plan involving indirect election by

Electors (Farrand 493-94; vol. 2), which was approved and included in the Constitution as signed
and ratified. As subsequently modified by the Twelfth Amendment, this plan remains the
Electoral College system in effect to date.
The Convention’s special committee dictated that the selection of Presidential Electors
was to be determined “in such Manner as the Legislature thereof may direct.” This provision
allows the broad discretion of state legislatures to directly choose Electors or popular election in
contrast with the previous suggestion to confine the process to the election of members by the
House of Representatives (“by the People of the several States” in Article I, Section 2) and
senate (“chosen by the Legislature thereof” in Article II, Section 3 of the original Constitution).
Though the motion to have state Electors choose the President carried 6-3 when it was
first approved, the more favorable vote of 8-2 was returned when the motion specified that
Electors should be “chosen by State Legislatures” (Farrand 57-58; vol. 2). This voting data
suggests a preference for direct legislative choice, rather than a popular election. This preference
is further demonstrated by the provision produced by the special committee allowing state
legislatures to exercise full discretion in respect to the selection of Electors. Considering this
provision within the context of the final two weeks of the Convention, it is possible to conclude
that it was an effort to placate delegates (such as Gouverneur Morris, a member of the special
committee) who favored a popular election. Further, outspoken Morris likely influenced the
special committee to adopt this broad language as a compromise to provide for one or more
states to allow popular election of Electors. In fact, Morris, along with James Wilson, ensured
that their home state of Pennsylvania chose their Electors for the first Presidential election by
popular vote (McCormick 28). The pressure for direct legislative choice by key delegates like
Morris (within the special committee and/or before the general Convention) risked prolonging
the contentious Convention debate when a critical and heretofore elusive consensus on an overall
final document was at hand.

https://concept.journals.villanova.edu/article/download/282/245/

I wouldn't go that far but he certainly won...

Apr 5, 2019, 12:41 PM [ in reply to Interesting quote by Alexander Hamilton ]

without colluding with Russia to fix the election.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: States making move to circumvent Electoral College (link)

Apr 5, 2019, 11:44 AM

I'm all for the country dividing into districts and each district sending a tribute to the capital for a battle royale. The winning district's tribute gets to elect the new leader.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I wonder of Hillary had won the EC if we'd even be

Apr 5, 2019, 11:50 AM

talking about this.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Obviously not. The fact that she got pummeled in the EC, I

Apr 5, 2019, 12:16 PM

think, raised a few more eyebrows. But I think that speaks more to her dependency on the polls to direct her campaigning. She never visited Wisconsin during the campaign (for example).

If things were determined by popular vote - all of the campaigning would be done in the most heavily populated areas - which is kinda why there is an EC...

No because republicans are fine with it***

Apr 5, 2019, 12:35 PM [ in reply to I wonder of Hillary had won the EC if we'd even be ]

Surprised it held on this long. City values will be imposed

Apr 5, 2019, 12:16 PM

on the countryside and there will be a movement to politically separate. The only reason the countryside will be able to resist is because of the 2nd Amendment, otherwise the tyranny of the majority would be the penultimate step before neo-liberal authoritarianism.

1 down, 37 more to go.***

Apr 5, 2019, 12:25 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 386
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic