Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting facts about NC State head coaches
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1

Interesting facts about NC State head coaches

Nov 9, 2018, 12:27 PM

I was thinking Dave Doeren would have done the best job at NC State of recent years. But, I was wrong looking at recent history.

Amato
49-37 (.570)
4 bowl wins in 6 years

O’Brien
40-35 (.533)
2 bowl wins in 6 years

Doeren
40-33 (.548)
3 bowl wins in 5 years

There is really no notable difference b/n any of these coaches. Except for Chuck Amato's Micky mouse voice.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

They really haven’t improved appreciably over Mike O’Cain***

Nov 9, 2018, 12:38 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: They really haven’t improved appreciably over Mike O’Cain***

Nov 9, 2018, 12:40 PM

Mediocrity at it's best!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting facts about NC State head coaches

Nov 9, 2018, 12:40 PM

Amato also wore red sneakers . You talk about total commitment .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

and sweet shades...

Nov 9, 2018, 12:47 PM

Nov 9, 2018, 12:42 PM

The O'Brien firing was interesting because they were 7-5 and made a bowl when they fired him.

Not an awesome record, but not a record most people would think required firing the coach.

Doeren has not been noticeably better than O'Brien and he was on the hot seat last year before they went 9-4 and he got a contract extension.

I would say that he is safe for a long time because of their relatively low expectations and because no one expected much this year with all the players they lost after last year.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 9, 2018, 1:11 PM

O'Brien was a good coach but he was too 4-4 in conference to stick around. Especially, when he kept the same coordinators around for all 6 seasons.

I think Dabo & Jimbo *fired* O'Brien indirectly. After the 2010 and 2011 win over Clemson late in that season, I think O'Brien got NC States hopes up for the next season. It saw the coaching landscape change suddenly. They were hoping to emerge from the bigger schools shadow and suddenly, competing with FSU/Clemson was "plausable". But State being State, it got a 33-6 point thrashing by UVA, finished 4-4 the next season and behind the power schools. I think that NC State saw that Clemson/FSU were now going to be widening the gap after a window of opportunity and they had to do something different than "Steady Tom".

The strange thing was they were *kinda* right. If we did not have patience with Dabo, if Louisville didn't have a few good seasons, NC State could have been a legitimate darkhorse. However, they picked the wrong coach. Instead of upgrading from 4-4 Tom, they have 3-5 Doren. Rather than beating Wake, they are dropping to Wake. Seriously, losing twice in a row to Wake should get any coach fired.

Nov 9, 2018, 12:49 PM

If you look back, NC State will have a long run of 6-7 season coaches of lightly above 0.500 back to the early 80s. You only have a few that did better (Rein, Holtz, Sheridan) and the two who did better left.

I was wondering before the season if this was going to be Deoren's last and that she should try to cash out while she still had some value to a desperate program. Even if NCSU gives him a 7th season, they normally does not go to well for NCSU coaches...

I liked AMATO & wished his Pack Team had crossed the Goalline at

Nov 9, 2018, 1:06 PM

OHst (or was it NDame) in last seconds of a huge matchup of ACC vs BiG10.

They had a super good RB @ State who was a Horse.

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, at least Nancy State excels at

Nov 9, 2018, 1:12 PM

mediocrity.

Nov 9, 2018, 1:40 PM

Just for shiggles, here are Sheridan's #s:

over all 52–29–3 ACC 31–18–1

I think that comes out to about a 62% overall winning percentage.

Nov 9, 2018, 8:47 PM

Sheridan was the last good coach they had.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic