Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Interesting article on Justyn Ross and the XFL... (link)
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1

Interesting article on Justyn Ross and the XFL... (link)

Apr 3, 2019, 10:51 AM

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/2828855-already-a-pro-talent-clemson-superstar-justyn-ross-willing-to-wait-for-payday?utm_source=cnn.com&utm_campaign=editorial&utm_medium=referral

Apologies if already posted...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Interesting article on Justyn Ross and the XFL... (link)

Apr 3, 2019, 11:27 AM

That article says players only get $5,000 a year from colleges in average. That is just their stipend. It completely ignored the cost of tuition (particularly for out-of-state players), room and board, and the access to elite coaching, facilities, and equipment to best prep you for the NFL. That adds up to over $100k a year easily in value. I hate these half-as.s.articles.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2019, 12:09 PM

While true, I'd think that's not how most young kids are going to see it. All they'll see is the cash money, much as young folks just entering the work force tend only to see the paycheck and not understand the value of benefits.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree with that. Ross has a role model who he respects and

Apr 3, 2019, 1:20 PM

who gives him good (loving) advice.

But there will be kids whose "handlers" encourage them to take the money and not "waste their time" getting an education...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 3, 2019, 11:48 AM

The XFL is going to have to offer a lot bigger contracts than $200,000 per year if they want to pull any star players away. For some middling prospects in the college ranks I can see wanting to leave early for it, but even a practice squad player can make $125,000 for a full year in the NFL.

I just don't see the draw to leaving a program like Clemson where you can be in a great environment, get an education, have access to everything needed to get better, and then sign a first round NFL deal for millions of dollars.

Time will tell but I hope the XFL is ready to shell out some big money if they want to be viable at all.

A player would be very short sighted to sign with the XFL

Apr 3, 2019, 12:23 PM

Over the NFL. They will never receive their entire contract before the league files for bankruptcy.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Interesting also that Ross wanted to leave Clemson after 2

Apr 3, 2019, 1:23 PM

games and go play basketball at a community college. I'm sure part of that was from being homesick...

Mr. Ross, you have been truly blest with talent, but more importantly,

Apr 3, 2019, 1:26 PM

an incredible mom!

Replies: 7
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic