Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In regards to us OLD FELLERS that have no regard for the
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 25
| visibility 2,820

In regards to us OLD FELLERS that have no regard for the

Aug 1, 2018, 6:42 PM

planet and want to keep sending the biodegradeable balloons aloft......

I got this little story from MBTC and thought I would share it....

Checking out at the store, the young cashier suggested to the much older lady that she should bring her own grocery bags, because plastic bags are not good for the environment. The woman apologized to the young girl and explained, "We didn't have this 'green thing' back in my earlier days."

The young clerk responded, "That's our problem today. Your generation did not care enough to save our environment for future generations."

The older lady said that she was right -- our generation didn't have the "green thing" in its day. The older lady went on to explain:

Back then, we returned milk bottles, soda bottles and beer bottles to the store. The store sent them back to the plant to be washed and sterilized and refilled, so it could use the same bottles over and over. So they really were recycled. But we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Grocery stores bagged our groceries in brown paper bags that we reused for numerous things. Most memorable besides household garbage bags was the use of brown paper bags as book covers for our school books. This was to ensure that public property (the books provided for our use by the school) was not defaced by our scribblings. Then we were able to personalize our books on the brown paper bags. But, too bad we didn't do the "green thing" back then.

We walked up stairs because we didn't have an escalator in every store and office building. We walked to the grocery store and didn't climb into a 300-horsepower machine every time we had to go two blocks. But she was right. We didn't have the "green thing" in our day.

Back then we washed the baby's diapers because we didn't have the throw away kind. We dried clothes on a line, not in an energy-gobbling machine burning up 220 volts. Wind and solar power really did dry our clothes back in our early days. Kids got hand-me-down clothes from their brothers or sisters, not always brand-new clothing. But that young lady is right; we didn't have the "green thing" back in our day.

Back then we had one TV, or radio, in the house -- not a TV in every room. And the TV had a small screen the size of a handkerchief (remember them?), not a screen the size of the state of Montana. In the kitchen we blended and stirred by hand because we didn't have electric machines to do everything for us. When we packaged a fragile item to send in the mail, we used wadded up old newspapers to cushion it, not Styrofoam or plastic bubble wrap. Back then, we didn't fire up an engine and burn gasoline just to cut the lawn We used a push mower that ran on human power. We exercised by working so we didn't need to go to a health club to run on treadmills that operate on electricity. But she's right; we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

We drank from a fountain when we were thirsty instead of using a cup or a plastic bottle every time we had a drink of water. We refilled writing pens with ink instead of buying a new pen, and we replaced the razor blade in a razor instead of throwing away the whole razor just because the blade got dull. But we didn't have the "green thing" back then.

Back then, people took the streetcar or a bus and kids rode their bikes to school or walked instead of turning their moms into a 24-hour taxi service in the family's $45,000 SUV or van, which cost what a whole house did before the "green thing." We had one electrical outlet in a room, not an entire bank of sockets to power a dozen appliances. And we didn't need a computerized gadget to receive a signal beamed from satellites 23,000 miles out in space in order to find the nearest burger joint.

But isn't it sad the current generation laments how wasteful we old folks were just because we didn't have the "green thing" back then? Please forward this on to another selfish old person who needs a lesson in conservation from a smart ### young person. We don't like being old in the first place, so it doesn't take much to #### us off...

***And this is from OLE SPUD...If I purchased items totalling $87.59 and I gave you a crisp Ben Franklin.....you, the cashier, could count my change back to me without a computer! At least if you were of the legal working age of 14 back then....

Okay now. Back to the suspense of the day. Who do we get from OSU?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In regards to us OLD FELLERS that have no regard for the

Aug 1, 2018, 6:53 PM

Harry Miller .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Aug 1, 2018, 7:12 PM

Yep, the old timers surely wasn't responsible for the green thing, and I know bc I remember those old days well!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Like riding your bicycle 3 miles to football practice and

Aug 2, 2018, 12:44 AM

then back home after practice...

And dying from cooties after kissing a girl***

Aug 2, 2018, 7:58 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: And dying from cooties after kissing a girl***

Aug 2, 2018, 8:21 AM

Like you would know.....

I saw the film in PE...gross***

Aug 2, 2018, 8:35 AM

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I saw the film in PE...gross***

Aug 2, 2018, 11:26 AM

Lol.
Now you want us to believe that you kissed girls AND exercised????

????

thanks for that Spud! I agree ***

Aug 2, 2018, 1:18 AM

Nm

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 2, 2018, 1:24 AM

This whole " going green" thing is a huge money maker for a whole lot of people who are only Interested in some other kind of green. I get most are too ignorant to see through the charade of it all, got to give it to ole Al Gore though. The man made himself a millionaire many times over by getting people to buy into it.

I believe I read somewhere that his power bill in his Tennessee mansion was higher than 6 or 7 average American homes combined.

But that article is correct, now days most who complain about balloons being released will do so in their nicely chilled air conditioned homes and not think twice about the hypocrisy of which they live. This earth is a tough ####### and has heated up and cooled down many times before we came along. It's just now many think their existence means so much to the earth, that they somehow can decide how hot or cold it should be.

It neglected the really big ticket item we didn’t have

Aug 2, 2018, 1:42 AM

home air conditioning! In the 50s & 60s many homes did not have central air conditioning. No wasting of fossil fuel electricity to tune of $200-$400+ a month in the summer! We used open windows, fans, wet washcloths and alcohol (external!) rubs to cool off enough to sleep! Not sure I’d want to go back to our “non green” no AC days!

Re: It neglected the really big ticket item we didn’t have

Aug 2, 2018, 7:42 AM

LOL - good one Spud and lots of truths.

How many youngsters would ever consider drinking water from a hosepipe like we did?

Our first TV required at least one of us to hold the rabbit ears antennae to prevent the TV screen from 'rolling' (youngsters have never witnessed what that is), so we would take turns at each commercial.

We had ONE landline phone so we considered ourselves lucky because my cousin had to share a "party line" where other families used the same line and they had to take turns, and they would get mad if you picked up too often to check if usable or listen to their conversation.

And AC in a car??? I was in my early 20's before I got a car with AC, and my parents got one after that. And no, we did not use seat belts or car seats for kids. Heck, my kid would stand in the front seat and stick his head out of the sunroof while riding, and I would just hold onto him to keep him from getting clobbered.

Good times. Heck, these younguns missed a lot of fun, and a lot less stress.

That said - we do need to move towards GREEN, for the sake of the planet if not for future generations.

So.. did the old bag start using the green bags or not

Aug 2, 2018, 7:28 AM

Dont leave us hanging

Excellent!***

Aug 2, 2018, 7:53 AM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

left out that people actually survived without an AC

Aug 2, 2018, 8:11 AM

blowing on them 24/7.

You ever heard a youngun start whining when the power goes out? They are fairly convincing that they may not be able to survive more than an hour or two without it.

Aug 2, 2018, 8:29 AM

Absolutely the POTD!! While I believe in preserving the environment, I believe the present generation has ZERO understanding of how previous generations went a long way in recycling without even considering the true impact.

All Tigernet posters born after 1990 need to read and really appreciate what is in the original post!

Go Tigers!

and us OLD FELLERS remember that they replaced the old

Aug 2, 2018, 9:37 AM

brown paper bags with the plastic ones because the tree huggers raised hell with all the trees we were killing to make the paper bags. a perfect example of reactionary government, pass legislation to appease the people making the most noise at the time to shut them up. it doesn't matter if it makes sense or not.

now they are proposing paper straws to replace the plastic straws. so here we go again, more trees to make more paper.

Re: and us OLD FELLERS remember that they replaced the old

Aug 2, 2018, 10:30 AM

[img][/img]

Preach it brother

Aug 2, 2018, 9:51 AM

Tater.

Spud, thank you for saving Tigernet this morning.

Aug 2, 2018, 10:36 AM

+1

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 3, 2021, 9:08 AM
cdc.jpg(144.7 K)

However, the CDC does want you to stop washing and reusing condoms, so take that off the list of recyclables.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

To bring this topic full circle, those look like BALLOONS!

Aug 2, 2018, 10:53 AM

:)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I FIND THIS VERY OFFENSIVE.

Aug 2, 2018, 10:52 AM

It's hate speech and a trigger to anyone who is cruising through life thinking they know where they are going without knowing where they've been.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I remember when paper bags had instructions and a

Aug 2, 2018, 10:55 AM

diagram to show how to fold them into a book cover. Best was you could customize those covers with some markers and stickers.

Shift to plastic bags came about due to the snowflakes of

Aug 2, 2018, 11:06 AM

the time calling for an end to the grocery store practice of "double bagging" (bag in a bag) paper bags for strength so that the bottom would not fall out under a heavy load. The plastic bags would be lighter, but stronger, and save trees.

Re: Shift to plastic bags came about due to the snowflakes of

Aug 2, 2018, 11:14 AM

Now we can use recycled paper to create "new" paper bags! Better yet come up with bamboo bags or Kudzu based items to get rid of the roadside invasion!

Go Tigers!

Replies: 25
| visibility 2,820
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic