Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In defense of TL
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 2,992

In defense of TL

Nov 11, 2018, 10:19 AM

I’ve seen a number of comments in this board saying TL had a bad game, it was his worst of the season, he made bad decisions all game, he completed no deep passes, etc. I can’t figure out what game you guys were watching, but TL looked great to me for most of this game. ESPN agrees - it was his highest adjusted QBR (the final QBR number after reviewing the game more carefully) since being named the starter at 85.7.

To provide context since apparently some of you watched a different game than me, let’s set the stage:
- little help from the running game, in part due to play calling as we kept running into pressure
- BC defensive end Zach Allen seemed to live in the backfield - giving our right tackle a very hard time and pressuring TL on nearly every play
- BC disguised blitzes, went delayed blitzes, faked blitzes then dropped into coverage all night. The co-offensive coordinators said after the game that BC’s defensive staff did an incredible job and surprised them a lot, especially in the first half
- it was windy, which has a direct correlation with accuracy of deep balls

With that in mind, TL threw at least 5 perfectly or near perfectly thrown deep passes - Rodgers in the first drive; Higgins down the right side on another drive; Kendrick down the left side; Kendrick down the middle; and Renfrow on a slant in the third quarter (this might be the only one to qualify as intermediate rather than deep). Going into halftime, he threw what looked to me to be an accurate pass to Ross who appeared to slow down toward the end. I was disappointed there by the effort by Ross. The next play was a deep pass to Higgins, which was the only actual overthrow to an open deep receiver on a play that counted (he missed one in Q3 that would have been negated anyway by a holding call).

TL completed 72.5% of his passes. When you adjust for throw-aways, which the co-offensive coordinators called some of his best decisions during the game, the percentage is approaching 80%.

The co-offensive coordinators also said TL did a lot of things the average fan doesn’t see, such as change the blocking scheme successfully. They particularly called out him doing so on the long pass to Renfro in Q3.

Of course, he is still a true freshman and is going to make a handful of mistakes a game. The most glaring of these were:
- catching the deflected pass and losing 12 yards in the process (he throws for over 300 yards without that). It was a reflex and a teaching moment.
- taking the sack during the two minute drill going into the half
- throwing the ball out of bounds on the hail mary
- sliding too early again on a 3rd down play

Overall, out of about 60 offensive plays, he made mistakes on maybe 10% of those plays. That means he was successful the vast majority of the time, which is why ESPN graded him so highly.

TL is incredible and raised all of our expectations beyond the realm of human capabilities. Don’t go into each game expecting 50 points of offense, and you’ll enjoy these games much more. We only get TL for a little over 2 more season (though he may follow his hero Peyton Williams Manning and come back for his senior year). Enjoy it! Stop nitpicking every little thing and missing the forest for the trees as a result.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In defense of TL

Nov 11, 2018, 10:25 AM

Well said TigerCFA....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 10:26 AM

Trevor was great last night. Not exactly ideal weather conditions and JJ Watt Jr in your face all night.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 10:59 AM

He was dealing with a good D throwing a bunch of coverages at him. They disguised them well too. He did fine

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 11:45 AM

Great post.

He absolutely needed a game like that against good competition and good coaches to get ready for the other things we want to accomplish this season.

Oh, no, we didn't score 50 at night on the road against a good team! We're doomed!

the playcalling and lack of blocking from the OL

Nov 11, 2018, 11:48 AM

Was the main issue to me. TL has missed most of his deep balls all year. Nothing new imo

Nov 11, 2018, 11:56 AM

Completely agree, only thing I would change is Ross is still somewhat slower due to that hammy injury, he is probably playing at 75% or so if I had to guess

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please don’t lump all comments on TL as bashing.

Nov 11, 2018, 12:17 PM

You said it yourself:

Of course, he is still a true freshman and is going to make a handful of mistakes a game. The most glaring of these were:
- catching the deflected pass and losing 12 yards in the process (he throws for over 300 yards without that). It was a reflex and a teaching moment.
- taking the sack during the two minute drill going into the half
- throwing the ball out of bounds on the hail mary
- sliding too early again on a 3rd down play

These are all mistakes he made. And he’ll get coached on it and get better. And he’s already great. That’s what I love about seeing those mental errors...he’s already outstanding, he’s coachable, and he’ll get better.

null

He had a good game. But his deep ball accuracy and pocket awarenes limited

Nov 11, 2018, 12:23 PM

our production a bit.

I thought the game was called well by the OCs. They clearly made adjustments and controlled the initiative and the game. I thought it was one of the best called games all year actually.

There are two more TD's on the board if TL can make those throws.

But saying he had a bad game is insane. He just had a good game.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He had a good game. But his deep ball accuracy and pocket awarenes limited

Nov 11, 2018, 12:42 PM

Exactly. He had a good game, but not a great or even very good. I was surprised he got the MVP. That usually goes to a player that had a great game. Perhaps the entire defense.

I was most impressed with Renfrow and our corners.***

Nov 11, 2018, 1:10 PM

Re: He had a good game. But his deep ball accuracy and pocket awarenes limited

Nov 11, 2018, 1:13 PM [ in reply to He had a good game. But his deep ball accuracy and pocket awarenes limited ]

The OCs did a pretty good job but continuing to run the zone read and get trevor hit with the game in hand was really pi$$ing me off.

He's a good athlete but is not good at avoiding hits yet. I'm going to lose it if the offense struggles and we try that stuff on bama. They will hurt him guaranteed.

Nov 11, 2018, 12:30 PM

The best to come of this is tape. He will analyze and learn from his mistakes. He will continue to get better. Kids no where near his potential.

Nov 11, 2018, 12:36 PM

Very well stated.

Nov 11, 2018, 12:50 PM

You need to post more often!+1

I was formally known as Furious george and have changed my name to match the name I use to call on WCCP radio.

Nov 11, 2018, 12:53 PM

Trevor was great! Some of the long balls throughout the year were catchable with the right receiver downfield. I fully expected the heat from the blitzes and I'm thrilled that Trevor got the opportunity for experience. Bama's gonna be strong on their blitzes too...

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That a a perfect summary of the mistakes which can correct

Nov 11, 2018, 1:15 PM

And, on the long ball I agree...WR giving up or wind impacting the throw.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 1:33 PM

great summary.... agree 100%

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 11, 2018, 1:36 PM

In Ross's defense he appeared to slow up then reach for the back of his leg like he tweaked something. I have seen nothing but all out effort from him. Agree with everything else you stated.

Replies: 18
| visibility 2,992
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic