Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Defense Looking To Sideline. . . M.M.N!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 1

Defense Looking To Sideline. . . M.M.N!

Nov 14, 2018, 1:26 PM

It: makes me nervous when our DL is looking over at the sideline for what appears to be far too long! The offense sometimes is down in their stance and appears ready to fire off the ball.
I understand it's "let's get them in the perfect defense for the formation" that is behind it. I appreciate that. It just makes me nervous and you wonder if it will cost us some major yards.
In fact, I think Syracuse pace the last couple years did not allow for it. You had to get lined up and play ball w/o the signal when playing them. Now, it also means their offensive calls will have to be basic too!

Anyone else have this concern? I mean, it's probably unwarranted concern, we are after all #1 or within the top 5 in major categories as a defense. It just as I said: M.M.N! Go Tigers!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Defense Looking To Sideline. . . M.M.N!

Nov 14, 2018, 1:31 PM

I think the defense is just fine. I would guess that hey have some sort of "default" scheme in the event that the play call doesn't get in in time.

While we're on the subject of coaches trying to get the perfect playcall in late, it reminds me of Spurrier's days at USCjr on offense when he would keep sending in audibles until the play clock expired. There were multiple times that they would have to call back to back timeouts because he couldn't manage to get his audible called in time. I've read reports that even when he was coaching the Redskins he still insisted on calling audibles from the sidelines rather than trusting his QB to make the calls.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 26, 2018, 9:34 AM

I heard an explanation of this earlier in the season. They call a "base" play for the D and then look to the sideline for an adjustment based on how the offense lines up.

Normally it has not been a problem. But if you are an offense trying to beat our D then simply do what SC did: don't substitute, play hurry-up, show unusual formations, throw quickly, and look for mismatches. All it takes is a few completions and you have the D scrambling to get in position, get the right personnel groupings on the field, etc.

Watch for Pitt (and whoever we play in the BCS) to try to use some form of the above against us. Will it work again? That remains to be seen. BV and his staff will do their best to try and fix things and probably add some new wrinkles.

Thank goodness we have a high octane offense that can bail the D out when needed.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let's see we've given up 43 points in the last five ball

Nov 14, 2018, 1:32 PM

games. Most of those came in the forth quarter when we were playing everyone on the roster. Oh, yeah seven of those came on a punt return, not the defense. Worried, not so much.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Let's see we've given up 43 points in the last five ball

Nov 14, 2018, 2:46 PM

Another 7 came off of a KO return. Take away the punt return and the KO return and the defense has given up 29 points in the last 5 games. That's pretty impressive.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

WE ARE DOING ALRIGHT...LINK

Nov 14, 2018, 1:37 PM

https://www.ncaa.com/stats/football/fbs/current/team/22

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, we're doing just fine. But you saw what BC was

Nov 14, 2018, 1:43 PM

doing before their QB got hurt. That was not a comfortable feeling to start the game. Burning TO's because our defense wasn't even on the LOS yet was an issue.

The great thing about BV is, anytime our defense struggles with something, it gets fixed by the next game and it never seems to be an issue again.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Yes, we're doing just fine. But you saw what BC was

Nov 14, 2018, 1:52 PM

GWPTiger®
Thanks GWPTiger for understanding when others apparently didn't!
I didn't think that statement was out of line or overly critical of the team at all! Just wondering if any other Tigers fans had the same concern.
In fact, I believe I stated we are ranked high on defense, so. Anyway!

Exactly, BV won't make back to back mistakes or have back to back games where a scheme beats us. Think Utah pass in the Pitt game. He loves it now when that play gets crushed.

Thanks!

I agree, and realizing we have one of, if not THE best

Nov 14, 2018, 2:05 PM

defense in the country, it still makes me anxious when the offense is lined up about to snap the ball and our defense is looking at the sidelines. So I get it.

If there is a "default" scheme as mentioned above, our players in the first few minutes of the game Saturday had no idea what that default was.

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

In both the Pitt and Syracuse losses, the d calls seemed to be late and a lot of confusion too***

Nov 14, 2018, 2:48 PM

null

Message was edited by: lovingit®

Re: Yes, we're doing just fine. But you saw what BC was

Nov 14, 2018, 2:52 PM [ in reply to Yes, we're doing just fine. But you saw what BC was ]

This year he usually has that fixed the next time the defense comes out on the field. I think that's why they ended up calling the Timeout so Coach V could fix the issues before BC was able to drive the length of the field.

Doing Fine. Yep. But, Not intent of thread.

Nov 14, 2018, 3:03 PM

Clearly we are one of the best defenses in the country. This is not a criticize the defense thread.

Compartmentalize this: only referring to the extremely long looks they give to the sideline pre-snap! And, that's it.

Pitt used a "muddle-huddle" as well as most of the time clock so adjustments couldn't be made. They broke out the huddle just in time and too late for any adjustments.

Cuse just went so fast you could barely catch your breath let alone look for signs on the sidelines. Both worked; you must admit.

T. Lamar and K. Joseph will have to get everybody lined up in those situations best they can quickly. Opponents we hope to play in a bowl playoff match up won't just allow you to get your call in. But, again for anyone who cannot compartmentalize it - we are one of the best defenses in the nation, yes!

until our D is #1 in the nation, we need to work on this!***

Nov 14, 2018, 1:54 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Nov 14, 2018, 1:54 PM

With the athletes and talent we have on Defense, we can line up in our base and stop 95% of our opponents. The other 5% would still catch hell and have to slow down at some point. We are elite and schemes will only help you to a certain point.

Nov 14, 2018, 3:07 PM

Teams are scoring 13 points a game against our 1st 2nd 3rd 4th and 23rd string players. Why the hell would anyone be concerned? Venables knows what he is doing that is obvious.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 14, 2018, 3:15 PM

Whitehurst74

B/C as stated above; it has been exploited before.

And, b/c it makes me nervous as stated above as well.

Nobody is saying Venables doesn't know what he is doing. Wrong argument buddy!

Replies: 15
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic