Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
In Search of a Clemson Hero from the Mid-Nineteen Fifties
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 1

In Search of a Clemson Hero from the Mid-Nineteen Fifties

Jul 18, 2019, 2:58 PM

This Post is for Clemson Students from the mid-nineteen fifties, or their families. I am searching for a hero that I never thanked. My hero was a tall, thin, athletic young "Clemson Man" with short cut hair, who saved my life at *High Falls in Oconee County. I recently posted the childhood memory on my facebook page, and was encouraged to share it where it might be seen by more of the “Clemson Family
I tried to find him in a Clemson digital yearbook; however, while the event is stored like a video in my retrievable memory files, the features of his faces have blurred. My hope is that he, or one of his three companions, shared the story that day. I think he would be in his mid to late eighties if he is still alive.
*High Falls was once a popular place, where locals and visitors came to picnic and swim. Shortly after 1966, the area was submerged beneath 75 feet of water. Today, many boaters on Keowee pass over the spot, unaware of the beautiful falls that were there.

Facebook Post
One summer day in the fifties, a young man from Clemson was relaxing with a few friends after a swim at High Falls in Oconee, SC. A group of children with one adult were picnicking also. One of the youngsters remained in the water, walking backwards toward the falls (until chest deep), and then swimming, time and time again, toward shallow water. He didn't see her when she stepped back, one step too far, and was sucked under by a waterfall whirlpool. No one saw her as she fought her way up from the hole, unable to scream. Pulled under again, she saw the swirling bottle caps in the sand and kicked her way up again and managed a scream. She saw a tall young man leap to his feet on the bank, as she sank again, too tired to hope that he would save her. A peacefulness engulfed her as the light faded above her...For a moment, she was sad for her parents who would
miss her...** The stranger pulled her from the water, saving her life that day.
I never got to thank him. He would have to be in his late eighties, or older now. I wonder if the young man from Clemson ever told his children, or grandchildren, about the summer day that he saved a little girl's life at High Falls.
**Note: I have no memory from this point until I am looking up at the young man. My muscles cramp and I am in pain. Blurred memories of him helping me to feel better.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: In Search of a Clemson Hero from the Mid-Nineteen Fifties

Jul 18, 2019, 4:28 PM

What an interesting story. I do remember those falls. Sounds like you had an encounter with a true hero and Clemson Gentleman. I hope someone here sees your story and remembers.

Jul 18, 2019, 4:44 PM

Thanks for your kind reply. I am hoping for a miracle.

Jul 19, 2019, 1:56 PM

Hmm.. looks like your post hasn't been noticed. I'll give you a little bump and hopefully it catches on.

Jul 19, 2019, 7:38 PM

Thanks for the bump! Any help is greatly appreciated.

Jul 19, 2019, 4:21 PM

There's a chance this is seen by the right person .

Bump.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Jul 19, 2019, 7:42 PM

Thanks for the encouragement.

Good luck with your search !!!***

Jul 22, 2019, 6:48 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2019, 4:30 PM

That's a great story. I spend many a day at High Falls when I was a student and after I had graduated. I know exactly what you are talking about with the whirlpool and the falls. You could slide over the falls and then push yourself backwards out of the whirlpool into a little cave (actually under an overhang) where you could stand up in calm water and stick your hand out through the waterfall. I could see where a young person would not have the strength to get out of the vortex.

Good luck finding the man who saved your life. I wish I could say it was me, but that was a good bit before my time (mid 60's when I was there).

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 19, 2019, 7:36 PM

Thank you for your reply. I appreciate your kindness.

Jul 20, 2019, 10:34 AM

Thanks R 912 for reposting my post in the amphitheater. I had no idea where to begin. It has been a better experience than the original board. Thanks for your thoughtfulness.

Great story & thanks for posting A912

Jul 20, 2019, 7:38 PM

But you know real heroes - a lot of them are reluctant to come forward & claim that mantle. You know, "Me - a HERO? I was just doing what anyone would've done." The real ones have that sort of humility.

Jul 20, 2019, 10:52 PM

My father was a student at Clemson in the mid fifties(Class of ‘54) but, he never mentioned anything about a young girl nearly drowning at High Falls. Maybe it happened after he had left. He grew up in Westminster. Unfortunately, he died in 2005 so, I can’t ask him if he knew anything about it. I hope you find your hero A912. Good luck. And here’s another bump

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 21, 2019, 7:16 AM

Thanks for your reply. And the bump.

Replies: 13
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic