Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hard to believe 10 years go this fall
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1

Hard to believe 10 years go this fall

Apr 8, 2019, 4:11 PM

was CJ Spiller's senior year. If ever forced to pick my all time favorite Clemson player, I'd have to pick him. I think he had the biggest recruiting impact for Clemson and started our steady rise to glory. If I ever get to meet him I'm going to tell him so too. I sure was glad Dabo singled him out after the National Championship parade celebration in the stadium and acknowledged him like he did. Man, it's just hard to believe that was ten years ago. Time flies...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hard to believe 10 years go this fall

Apr 8, 2019, 4:16 PM

10 years AGO this fall. Dern fat finger syndrome.

Apr 8, 2019, 4:57 PM

My all-time favorite also. He picked clemson when it wasn’t cool to pick clemson. It’s why you can’t question when a super star picks a school that isn’t currently at the top. Maybe they want to be the guy that leads a team back to glory. Maybe it’s relationships. He needs to be in the ring of honor now. Clemson would have none of the glory today without him.

I still remember listening live to his commitment

Apr 8, 2019, 5:05 PM

ceremony when he was still a high school senior and thinking hot dang he’s going to be fun to watch.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I still remember listening live to his commitment

Apr 8, 2019, 6:30 PM

Yep, and boy did he NOT disappoint!!!! I agree with roh. He was special and look how many special ones we’ve had since. For me, Boyd doesn’t get enough credit for what he essentially started at the QB spot. He took a chance on us too.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2019, 6:49 PM [ in reply to Re: Hard to believe 10 years go this fall ]

The funniest part of it all was that Urban Meyer thought his in-home right before Dabo's in-home had sealed his commitment .
I think the FSU staff also felt good about their chances .
Nobody had Clemson even near Spiller's top 5 until after Coach Swinney left and Spiller let everyone know how much he highly regarded Clemson .

Dabo just has that way about him .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Shout out to NewSpring as well.***

Apr 8, 2019, 7:18 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm right there with you

Apr 8, 2019, 4:57 PM

Of all the plays I've seen in Death Valley the double juke against GT his freshman year stands out the most. I remember it like it was yesterday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2019, 5:10 PM

I don"t remember the game or year, but on the opening kick off he took it to the house. I seem to recall it was the first game of the season. Anyone remember that?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 8, 2019, 6:20 PM

2009, season opener vs Middle Tennessee St. (Youtube rules) =o)

I know we all have stories but I’ll share mine

Apr 8, 2019, 6:40 PM

Walking from Mauldin I ran into CJ at the bottom of the horseshoe. I gave him the typical ‘great game Saturday!’ Comment and he decided to walk and chat with me.

We talked about the team, classes and Clemson in general until we got almost to Sirrine. At that point he let me know he was heading to Daniel Hall and walked well past it to keep chatting with me.

I’ll never forget that, and will certainly be happy when I get to tell my kids about it! Such a great guy!

He's not my all-time #1 Tiger, but that juke vs GT

Apr 8, 2019, 7:51 PM

IS perhaps my all-time most "WOW" moment watching a Tiger. We've had great plays before and since, but from a sheer athletic ability standpoint, I can't think of any better. Ever. It still boggles the mind to watch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rFIT-3gcAR8

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

side note: Lord, how far have GT's uniforms fallen?

Apr 8, 2019, 7:53 PM

Used to be among the best in college football. Russell Athletic. Classic.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: He's not my all-time #1 Tiger, but that juke vs GT

Apr 8, 2019, 9:05 PM [ in reply to He's not my all-time #1 Tiger, but that juke vs GT ]

I was at the GT game and I remember that play well. The guy behind me got so excited he spilled his drink on my wife.

Apr 8, 2019, 9:03 PM

I also remember Tommy Bowden thought Dabo was wasting his time and there was no way he could get CJ to committ. As a young assistant coach, Dabo already had a vison of how great Clemson could be, even when his boss didn’t. I think that’s why Tommy made the recommendation to give the interim job to Dabo. I totally believe CJ’s commitment was the first step on the path greatness we have achieved today.

Message was edited by: Lexguy2003

Replies: 14
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic