Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Troops to the border proven a political ploy...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 34
| visibility 1

Troops to the border proven a political ploy...

Nov 21, 2018, 10:42 AM

As they start to be pulled back before the migrants even arrive. Too bad most of them won't make Thanksgiving.

Kudos to those who actually genuinely believed this wasn't a political ploy and thought it a necessary move.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2018/11/20/with-troops-soon-pulling-back-border-trumps-late-campaign-ploys-have-dried-up/?utm_term=.06f39b4b5bf0

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/11/19/troops-us-mexico-border-come-home-1005510

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

You are the meme master. - RPMcMurphy®

Trump is not a phony. - RememberTheDanny

Way to blow a couple a hundred million dollars,

Nov 21, 2018, 10:51 AM

ya big orange buthole.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Troops to the border proven a political ploy...

Nov 21, 2018, 11:21 AM

I am still seeing daily updates about the caravan in here, so it must still be a thing in some circles.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you read the article, or just copy pasta

Nov 21, 2018, 11:39 AM

"The general overseeing the deployment told POLITICO on Monday that the first troops will start heading home in the coming days as some are already unneeded, having completed the missions for which they were sent. The returning service members include engineering and logistics units whose jobs included placing concertina wire and other barriers to limit access to ports of entry at the U.S.-Mexico border."

They went for a certain purpose, and that job is completed. Not sending them home would be akin to keeping a temp worker past their assignment and still paying them to fart around and do nothing.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

Did Trump, you, and the others actually read the mission...

Nov 21, 2018, 12:04 PM

Parameters before they were actually sent? Because Trump and his followers all claimed the military was being sent to protect the border from the caravan through force, and y'all continued to push this narrative for weeks.

Don't back pedal now and claim "Mission Accomplished" as if you knew their whole purpose all along. It was a political dog and pony show meant to convince the public that we were sending our army to stop an invading force.

Y'all know what the message was.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

[Catahoula] used to be almost solely a PnR rascal, but now has adopted shidpoasting with a passion. -bengaline

Again with the not answering direct questions.***

Nov 21, 2018, 12:08 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I read what you copied and pasted.

Nov 21, 2018, 12:11 PM

And it's all BS. That was not Trump's purpose for sending them nor the narrative those of you who defended it spouted. C'mon.

This was a complete political ploy, and even the mission they supposedly accomplished was pointless.

Strengthening the border isn't quite pointless, at least in

Nov 21, 2018, 12:13 PM

my personal point of view. Glad they did it.

Ah...

Nov 21, 2018, 12:17 PM

So we need over 5,000 of our troops to place "concertina wire and other barriers to limit access to ports of entry at the U.S.-Mexico border."

Yep. Definitely only our military can do that.

"This is an invasion of our Country and our Military is waiting for you!" - Donald Trump, Oct. 29.

Quit pretending.

Not pretending, friend

Nov 21, 2018, 12:19 PM

Who else does the government have on call that can organize 5000+ employees to do such a task?

You must not work with government all that often, because they are SLOW with everything. Putting together a contract, organizing manpower and gathering those supplies would have taken months for the government to handle with a private firm.

Just LOL***

Nov 21, 2018, 12:26 PM

What if that was the intended mission?

Nov 21, 2018, 12:11 PM [ in reply to Did Trump, you, and the others actually read the mission... ]

I'm failing to see the point. Obviously, you don't send a military force unless your reason is to show military strength.

Do you also disagree with naval exercises in the China Sea, or in the Persian Gulf? Following your logic, you'd have to. Realistically you should hate those exercises even more; they are 1000's of miles away, take servicemen from their home, and aren't even on our border.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm glad you're at least sticking to your guns...

Nov 21, 2018, 12:14 PM

And not pretending like this 08 fella.

But to answer: Those exercises you listed are training against armed conflicts vs. potential enemies.

That is vastly different than a dog and pony show before an election for a pointless purpose with our military. They can't stop the caravan and as we see now, the caravan wasn't even really an issue at the area where they were deployed.

Mogadishu in 1993 wasn't supposed to be a battle, either.

Nov 21, 2018, 12:19 PM

I have no problem with a president--ANY president--defending our borders. He kind of agrees to an oath of just that when he is elected.

Unrelated

Nov 21, 2018, 12:25 PM

I think im starting to like ya

You'll say something later that I'll reply to

Nov 21, 2018, 12:26 PM

that will change your mind

Just love me***

Nov 21, 2018, 12:55 PM

Not comparable unless you want to explain...

Nov 21, 2018, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Mogadishu in 1993 wasn't supposed to be a battle, either. ]

How they're similar.

Depending on what media platform you prefer

Nov 21, 2018, 12:43 PM

there were 2000-20000 people rushing our already weak southern border.

My reference to Mogadishu was in battle tactics, and not presenting a "weak" force. Mogadishu was originally a humanitarian mission, and its end result changed military tactics for the US forever.

If there are 2,000-20,000 people rushing our border, we damm sure better be sending the military to defend it. What would have happened if the 'caravan' ended up as a large group bad actors intent on infiltrating and destroying our border? How many out of the reported 20,000 people would it take to do that to a border patrol (only) guarded area?

What would you have said had Trump had he NOT sent troops, and the border 'caravan' incident ended up with a bunch of dead border patrol agents, and a destroyed border crossing?

I'm certain you'll say "that couldn't have happened", which is a completely reasonable response for Monday morning quarterbacking. I get it--you don't like Trump, and there is pretty much nothing he'll do that you'll agree with. But in this situation, he was right.

We A-10 squadrons in LA, AR and GA

Nov 21, 2018, 12:51 PM

that could get down there pretty quick. If Mogadishu had happened in Mexico, I'm pretty sure there would have been a lot fewer US casualties.

Also, if we are going to send troops every time there are "migrant caravans" headed this way, you might as well leave them there.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm OK with that, too.

Nov 21, 2018, 1:39 PM

As far as scrambling A-10's, a truck (or two) full of explosives and a couple hundred armed people could do a lot of damage before the call ever even got out to a NG base.

Because Mexico lets people roll through their country

Nov 21, 2018, 1:55 PM

carrying truckloads of armed explosives all the time.

This is ####### stupid. If we're going to defend every action of the Trump administration by making up wild ### scenarios where anything that is possible has to be defended against we should maybe start preemptively nuking all the countries in central america. You never know when one might find a rare metal that makes their military more powerful than even ours. You know, like in the Avengers.

This was a political stunt. It was open, obvious and it didn't work. We are no safer because of it.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-fordprefect.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mexico actually does do that.

Nov 21, 2018, 2:14 PM

Drugs cartels and gangs pretty much own many sections of Mexico.

Re: Because Mexico lets people roll through their country

Nov 21, 2018, 2:29 PM [ in reply to Because Mexico lets people roll through their country ]

Re: Depending on what media platform you prefer

Nov 21, 2018, 1:06 PM [ in reply to Depending on what media platform you prefer ]

First, on Mogadishu:

It was a humanitarian mission, but it also had military objectives to stop warlords and genocide. We were, as usual, the military strongarm in a U.N. operation. Mogadishu's disaster also resulted from the Clinton admin's poor handling of the situation and the Pentagon asking our soldiers to do a job with one arm tied behind its back.

Essentially, we were babysitting a mission that involved people being slaughtered and we couldn't respond until they shot at us first. We could also make the argument that we had no business being over there.

That isn't even close to what's happening at the border or with the caravan.

What would you have said had Trump had he NOT sent troops, and the border 'caravan' incident ended up with a bunch of dead border patrol agents, and a destroyed border crossing?

The option we had to prevent this is to leave it in the National Guard's hands. Between border patrol, local police, and them, we have enough firepower to stop the caravan in the very worst (and unlikely) scenario. But given the make up of the caravan, we wouldn't even need that. This wasn't an army bent on violence and murder.

I'm certain you'll say "that couldn't have happened", which is a completely reasonable response for Monday morning quarterbacking. I get it--you don't like Trump, and there is pretty much nothing he'll do that you'll agree with. But in this situation, he was right.

Anything can happen. It's the extreme unlikeliness that it will, and that's the case here.
Let's look at the timeline, friend:
-Caravan is announced and Trump spreads panic.
-Tweets that the military is waiting for their invasion, insinuating they will be met with armed resistance.
-All of this is done two weeks before the election. Campaign ads are run about the caravan and demanding that people vote Republican or else face the caravan's wrath.
-After the election, Trump stops talking about the issue altogether. The army is gradually pulled out. The caravan no longer poses a threat.

C'mon, man. You don't see through this?

And you missed my post where I agreed with Trump last week on criminal justice reform. The problem is that 99 percent of all the other #### he does is horrid.

This is one of those things that I'll just have to say

Nov 21, 2018, 1:37 PM

"whatever" to you about, because I just don't have a problem with him sending troops there, for any reason. It's our border, and we own it. And I would say that if it were Obama, Bush, or Trump.

Re: This is one of those things that I'll just have to say

Nov 21, 2018, 2:27 PM

Okay, that's fine. That still doesn't mean it's not a waste of our troops' time and our taxpayer dollars.

If our troops are authorized to protect our border from immigrants and it's that big of a problem, why aren't they there around the clock?

low estimates show us at about 11 million illegal aliens in

Nov 21, 2018, 3:11 PM

the US.

That's almost the same amount of people who live in South AND South Carolina COMBINED. Meaning if everywhere you went in NC and SC, and everyone you saw were illegal immigrants, that's about the same number that are actually in the US now.

Maybe troops should be at the border around the clock.

I wonder what would happen if 14 Millions Americans

Nov 21, 2018, 3:13 PM

just went to Mexico, and decided they wanted to stay, and then protested for schooling and other citizens rights?

I wonder how that would go?

Re: Did Trump, you, and the others actually read the mission...

Nov 21, 2018, 12:16 PM [ in reply to Did Trump, you, and the others actually read the mission... ]

1st, I dont think anyone outside of the chain of command and the actual soldiers can read those documents, because they are classified, so stop with the condescension.

2nd, he said SOME of the objectives of SOME of the units were achieved.

Its pretty simple. First they send in engineers to actually build the perimeters and facilities the garrisoned troops will need, which is phase 1. When the engineers are done setting up, they go home. Then the real troops come in and occupy what the engineers set up, which is phase 2.

Al this articles says is that phase 1 is complete. The first wave of troops, engineers and logistical support, came in and set up security facilities. They completed this objective, and are now heading home.

Now, phase 2 is underway, and the actual combat troops and security forces are being deployed there to garrison and secure everything the engineers set up.

See, militarys operate on these things called "plans" or "missions" and "missions" have components within them called "steps" or "objectives". There are multiple "objectives" within these "missions", and each "objective" needs to be achieved before the military commanders can declare "mission accomplished". The troops that are leaving are troops that were there to install enhanced perimeter security and logistical support. That was objective one. Objective one has been completed, so now its on to objective 2: allowing the actual combat troops to come into the newly set up facilities to guard the border.

You have poor reading skills, and poor comprehension skills.

Re: Did Trump, you, and the others actually read the mission...

Nov 21, 2018, 12:28 PM

1st, I dont think anyone outside of the chain of command and the actual soldiers can read those documents, because they are classified, so stop with the condescension.

Gee, someone better tell the spokespeople who spoke to the media then.

Its pretty simple. First they send in engineers to actually build the perimeters and facilities the garrisoned troops will need, which is phase 1. When the engineers are done setting up, they go home. Then the real troops come in and occupy what the engineers set up, which is phase 2.

Ah, so you are admitting that our military is going to guard the border. You are aware that our military can't be used to stop immigrants. You know that, right? Right?

Here, let me help you, Mr. Reading Comprehension:

Buchanan confirmed previous reports that the military had rejected a request from the Department of Homeland Security for an armed force to back up Border Patrol agents in the event of a violent confrontation.

"That is a law enforcement task, and the secretary of Defense does not have the authority to approve that inside the homeland," Buchanan said.

Oops.

And why do we need 5,000 troops to set up perimeters? Why does the military have to do this?

Now, phase 2 is underway, and the actual combat troops and security forces are being deployed there to garrison and secure everything the engineers set up.

Aww, let's see who actually kind of sucks at this reading thing:

All the troops should be home by Christmas, as originally expected, Army Lt. Gen. Jeffrey Buchanan said in an interview Monday.

But there's more!

“That doesn’t mean it’s impossible,” he added. “But right now, this is a temporary mission, and we’re tasked to do it until the 15th of December.”

So, slicing through your condescension and grossly inept yet long-winded posts, we have this gem:

Objective one has been completed, so now its on to objective 2: allowing the actual combat troops to come into the newly set up facilities to guard the border.

Except the article makes it very clear that no additional troops are being sent. You completely made that up.

You have poor reading skills, and poor comprehension skills.

Yeah. Clearly we see how well you excel at it.

Listen, I know you're still a young un and I recall being pretty off on a lot when I was your age, so I shouldn't be so hard. But your post really makes you look foolish.

Re: Did you read the article, or just copy pasta

Nov 21, 2018, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Did you read the article, or just copy pasta ]

You really need to read more on this... On what planet do we need 5600 military troops on the border for a caravan that is unarmed, on foot and most of whom are still hundreds of miles away?

Trump supporters appear to believe virtually anything they are told. It's astonishing.

Military Times...today:

"The White House late Tuesday signed a memo allowing troops stationed at the border to engage in some law enforcement roles and use lethal force, if necessary — a move that legal experts have cautioned may run afoul of the Posse Comitatus Act.

The new “Cabinet order” was signed by White House Chief of Staff John Kelly, not President Donald Trump. It allows “Department of Defense military personnel” to “perform those military protective activities that the Secretary of Defense determines are reasonably necessary” to protect border agents, including “a show or use of force (including lethal force, where necessary), crowd control, temporary detention. and cursory search.”

https://www.militarytimes.com/news/your-military/2018/11/21/white-house-approves-use-of-force-some-law-enforcement-roles-for-border-troops/

So you believe this was a pointless mission

Nov 21, 2018, 12:15 PM

How do you feel about the Army Corps of Engineers that review each of my engineering design projects?

If its different than you feel about sending Engineers to the border to strengthen defenses, youve played yourself.

Do they send 5,000 troops...

Nov 21, 2018, 12:31 PM

To sit outside your office every time you submit a design?

Re: Troops to the border proven a political ploy...

Nov 21, 2018, 12:28 PM

Problem: "Washington Post"

Replies: 34
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic