Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
An Oldie but a Goodie....
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 13
| visibility 3,211

An Oldie but a Goodie....

Jul 15, 2019, 2:08 PM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkSec2pu-TI

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the sweetest example of the Chicken Curse that ever was.***

Jul 15, 2019, 3:00 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: the sweetest example of the Chicken Curse that ever was.***

Jul 15, 2019, 4:04 PM

Chickens blown out of the water!

Oh, the Feathers, the Feathers! I can see it plain as day.

Jul 15, 2019, 4:00 PM

Coots: "We gonna win the NATTY! With our win over Navy, will we be #1 or #2 going into the game?"

Turns out they were #2, but of a totally different sort. :)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Stroh's beer!

Jul 16, 2019, 4:04 AM

"On my way to Stroh's a party!"

Navy definitely threw a party after that game! Along with about half the state of SC! Love it

Go Tigers AND Tiger Nation(al & WORLD CHAMPIONS!)!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Si vis pacem, para bellum (if you want peace, prepare for war)
USMC 1980-83
-Camp Lejeune
-Beirut, Lebanon
SC National Guard 1983-2018

Re: An Oldie but a Goodie....

Jul 16, 2019, 7:53 AM

Hey, I might have been there...

Anyway, just another reason that we should kick out Loserville and accept Navy into the conference as a replacement to the benedict turtles

If you weren't around back then, you probably cannot

Jul 16, 2019, 11:06 AM

appreciate the magnitude of this game. It is truly one of the greatest upsets in the history of college football. Let me set the stage. The Lamecocks were having their greatest season ever. They were 9-0 and ranked #2 in the nation. They had beaten Georgia, FSU and Notre Dame. They were in the driver's seat for the nat'l title game, and had their pick of the major bowls. They were so confident of beating Navy, they turned down the Sugar Bowl, and had "an understanding" with the Orange Bowl to play the winner of the Neb/Okla game (played later that same day) for the nat'l title. They were the only undefeated team in the country besides BYU. Neb had 1 loss and was ranked #1. Just take care of business vs Navy and lock up the Orange Bowl invite.

Navy was horrible. They were 3-5-1, and 2 of those wins were Princeton and Lehigh. They'd lost 29-0 to Syracuse (6-5) the week before, and would lose to Army the week after. Not only that, but they were decimated by injuries. Their one star player was Napoleon McCallum, a 2-time consensus All American and Heisman candidate who did everything... played RB, KO returns, punt returns. Left Navy as the NCAA Career All Purpose Yards record holder. But he was hurt and could not play. And they'd also lost their starting QB...

Yikes. So this horrible team, with their best players out, certainly had no chance whatsoever. The Lamecocks were gonna cruise into this game, blow them out 55-0, and then make their nat'l title plans. And remember, this was the Black Magic season, with the Fire Ants defense and all of that. And they were so pumped... still smarting from Clemson's 1981 nat'l title... by God, this was THEIR TURN. They were gonna leap into national prominence and not look back...

But instead, they were crushed. LOL. They didn't just get upset, they were smoked. That 38-21 final score is misleading... Navy dominated from the opening bell. The score was 38-7 in the 4th quarter. The Lamecocks started slinging bombs on every play and doing onside kicks and managed to tack on a couple of meaningless TDs. But that Navy team stomped a mudhole in em. Oh yeah, and Okla beat Neb later that day, so USC would've been ranked #1.

All of their hopes and dreams were dashed. No nat'l title game. No Orange Bowl. In fact, by spurning the Sugar Bowl offer in their overconfidence, they fell all the way to the Gator Bowl. Where they promptly lost to Oklahoma St. They finished 9-2 and fell out of the Top 10 in the final polls...

When you consider everything that was at stake, and what huge favorites they were... it's hard to think of a more gut-wrenching upset in the history of college football.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

There's a page or 2 in a particular song book dedicated to

Jul 16, 2019, 11:39 AM

to that glorious football game.

It's a catchy tune.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Brad Brownell: Only Larry freaking Shyatt has a WORSE overall winning percentage among Clemson basketball coaches since 1975. Let that sink in. It's Larry Shyatt & then Brad Brownell.

Re: Well said

Jul 16, 2019, 4:23 PM [ in reply to If you weren't around back then, you probably cannot ]

Thanks for the breakdown/context. Before my time. Wish I could have watched it all unfold live. Still enjoyable now though...

Thanks. It truly is almost inconceivable. It would be like

Jul 16, 2019, 5:45 PM

Clemson last year rolling along to a great season, undefeated, and about to jump from #2 to #1 because Bama lost. Our fans are making plans for the playoffs, locking down hotel rooms and flights, etc. And we're playing, I don't know... some team like Wofford or Furman. Expected to blow them out & pull the starters by halftime. But somehow, some way... they kick us in the teeth and run us off the field. I mean, that's not even possible... right?

Damndest thing I've ever seen. It was so bad, I didn't even talk to any of my USC buddies the following week before the rivalry game. I knew their guts had been ripped out and they were in total shock. I was supposed to talk to my bro-in-law and firm up plans for Thanksgiving, but I didn't have the heart. I had my wife call him. He's a good guy and diehard Gamecock, and I didn't want it to appear I just "happened to call". It was that bad....

edit: but I only took it easy on my friends who were USC grads or cool guys. I remember putting a GO NAVY! bumper sticker on my car... right next to my fading 81 Nat'l Champ sticker.

Message was edited by: dark side of the moo®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A drunk will run a STOP sign, but a stoner will wait for it to turn green.

True.

Jul 16, 2019, 6:13 PM

I was working in Cootlumbia at the time and the Coot co-workers were unbearable going into that game. I was getting it in both ears. But the Monday after that game was Glorious. I said nothing but wore a wide grin all week.

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

It looked something like this...

Jul 16, 2019, 4:54 PM [ in reply to If you weren't around back then, you probably cannot ]

https://youtu.be/5BTCTooGYPs

Re: An Oldie but a Goodie....

Jul 16, 2019, 5:50 PM

I remember watching it at home in Moncks Corner . They were so elevated and so hyped . I wanted Navy to beat them and stop their run but had no faith that it would.

That one is forever . Losers .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Kinda like this.

Jul 16, 2019, 6:16 PM

but more impactful.

https://youtu.be/zXWuKRlBmVE

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Replies: 13
| visibility 3,211
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic