Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Any movement at all on building stands on the East end?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 29
| visibility 1

Any movement at all on building stands on the East end?

Dec 9, 2017, 12:04 AM

Given success Tigers are having in the past decade,and ticket demand, it is time to put seats there. Architects can do amazing things. It is going to happen some day - why not now! But one thing MUST remain - an opening to continue the unique Clemson tradition of the team "running down the Hill."

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Do we really need more seats at this point?

Dec 9, 2017, 12:06 AM

I’m not sure we do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Look at it this way ...

Dec 9, 2017, 8:09 AM

All it would actually do is accommodate those who sit on the grass with an actual seat.

We forget how casually they added the existing corner seats on The Hill after the 1981 championship. No discussion, no debate ... they just did it.

It's sort of a logical step to go ahead and extend the seats from both sides to the point that nothing is left of The Hill but the strip that the players run down.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Look at it this way ...

Dec 9, 2017, 4:47 PM

I really loved sitting umder that tree on the old hill in 1981. Would hate more seats as much as naming the stadium after a corporation.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do we really need more seats at this point?

Dec 9, 2017, 8:24 AM [ in reply to Do we really need more seats at this point? ]

Quote from Jess Neely"...

The stadium was constructed against the wishes of the late and former Clemson Head Coach Jess Neely. Just before leaving for Rice University after the 1939 season, he told Frank Howard, "Don't ever let them talk you into building a big stadium. Put about 10,000 seats behind the YMCA. That's all you'll ever need."

Re: Do we really need more seats at this point?

Dec 9, 2017, 8:27 AM [ in reply to Do we really need more seats at this point? ]

I agree. Also it would take away from the view of the campus.

Re: Any movement at all on building stands on the East end?

Dec 9, 2017, 12:37 AM

Engineers do all the tough stuff. Architects just draw a pretty picture.

I believe it will happen eventually.

Dec 9, 2017, 8:30 AM

Actually the builder does all the tough stuff. In this day in age so much is left out of the design for the builder to try and figure out. All the engineer does is throw in a 200 % safety factor and do some clicks of the mouse after checking some formulas in some books. As a GC I deal with this everyday. Its really wuite common practice now. I prefer design-build projects where the engineer/architect work under the general contractor unlike low bid jobs.

That is so incorrect. Designers are

Dec 9, 2017, 12:54 PM

licensed professional engineers designing to the approved standards, not some over designed factor. If things aren’t constructed as designed and problems arise, contractors get sued. By the same token, if a designer does not follow industry design standards, and problems arise, they will likely lose their license.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do agree that design build is a good option

Dec 9, 2017, 1:06 PM

where innovation can create cost savings with the designer and contractor working together. However, all projects don’t fit the design build model.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2017, 4:55 PM [ in reply to Re: Any movement at all on building stands on the East end? ]

All I know is the engineers at my work are some of the most clueless and not so bright individuals. They overthink everything and can tell you how it works on paper but would look at a screwdriver and get the confuse. I know they all aren’t that way but my work seems to hire some real winners. I could tell story after story about some dumb stuff they have said and done.

Dec 9, 2017, 5:37 PM

Not knowing any of your specific details, engineers generally don't get paid the big bucks to turn screws, nuts and bolts, those people are called mechanics. Engineers get paid to specify the correct screws, nuts and bolts and to tell the mechanic how tight to turn them so that people don't die.

Ever put your life in another man's hands and ask him to put his life in yours? We follow standards son. We follow standards or people die. It's that simple. Are we clear? Just sayin'...

Dec 9, 2017, 4:18 AM

I don't see a need for more seats until the upper deck on both sides and end zone seats are packed for every home game!!!

Message was edited by: allorangeallthetime52®

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe the upper deck and these new seats are...

Dec 9, 2017, 5:14 AM

a different target market.

Re: Maybe the upper deck and these new seats are...

Dec 9, 2017, 8:12 AM

If people could actually migrate from general admission on The Hill to the upper deck after the game starts, those seats might be filled every game instead of staying empty.

The fact is, by design DV is actually three completely separate stadiums, each inaccessible to the other.

We only truly fill up DV two or three times a year as it is.

Dec 9, 2017, 6:09 AM

I'm talking about the corners of the upper decks.

What we need is to double the size of the video board in the east end zone. It would provide a better picture and block in more of the sound from the student section.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Its just a matter of time

Dec 9, 2017, 8:10 AM

Fans that are opposed to it might as well brace themselves because it's going to happen, it's just a matter of when.

They'll keep the hill, and will build it in such a way that they can sprinkle in a bunch of luxury seating to make it extremely lucrative.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Its just a matter of time

Dec 9, 2017, 8:17 AM

At some point not too far down the road, there will be no grass seating on The Hill.

After the 1981 season the corners of The Hill were filled in with seats with no debate or discussion.

Seating on the rest of The Hill has become problematic for the AD.

Filling in all the grass with concrete seating (except for the narrow strip down the middle) will happen fairly soon.

Dec 9, 2017, 8:49 AM

Yeah, when they do that they will find that they stepped in it. There is a silent majority that will not react well. There are plenty of other things that they can upgrade, enhance the fan experience, or places they can add seats.

Dec 9, 2017, 8:59 AM

I'm an old timer and I agree, but I really don't think the current AD will hesitate to do what they think is best regardless of nostalgia. Just look at what the university administration did to The Clemson House last week. Forget the silent majority ... there was a very vocal majority that did not take that move well.

Dec 9, 2017, 2:41 PM

Clemson bouse bad to be downed. Too much upkeep expense.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 9, 2017, 3:55 PM

Thats a matter of opinion.

If you value something, you keep it up. The university decided they didn't value The Clemson House when they relegated it to serving as a dormitory. From that point on, up-keep and preservation were held to a minimum.

After a couple of decades of neglect, the place was certainly a wreck and it could be argued that doing anything at that point was money wasted.

East Endzone Seating

Dec 9, 2017, 2:49 PM [ in reply to Its just a matter of time ]

Any additional seats added to the East Endzone will be predominantly of the executive/box type.

do you also want to

Dec 9, 2017, 8:22 AM

get rid of another time honored grassy area and build a parking lot on Bowman Field?

What would be the point of adding aluminum metal to our nice, traditional grassy knoll?

Bowman Field is protected under T.G. Clemson's will.***

Dec 9, 2017, 10:07 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There's something in these hills.

Dec 9, 2017, 8:28 AM

I think it would drastically enhance the appearance of DV and give it a more completed look. You could certainly connect the lower decks and still leave the hill for the players to run down.

where will they park?

Dec 9, 2017, 12:35 PM

where will they park

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If we could get rid of those temporary stands

Dec 9, 2017, 3:02 PM

That would be a huge improvement. I don’t care how they do it, get rid of those things. Eyesores IMO and I’m not sure why they were even installed.

If we could get rid of those temporary stands

Dec 9, 2017, 3:02 PM

That would be a huge improvement. I don’t care how they do it, get rid of those things. Eyesores IMO and I’m not sure why they were even installed.

Could make more money - by reselling the student seats after

Dec 9, 2017, 4:41 PM

they leave at half.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 29
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic