Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
If this storms tracks South like some models
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 36
| visibility 1

If this storms tracks South like some models

Sep 11, 2018, 10:02 PM

are now predicting -hitting NC but slipping back into SC somewhere between Charleston and Beaufort - it would sit over SC and send tons of rain down on Clemson Saturday afternoon. Could this be more than 2015 ND game? The plot thickens (no pun intended).

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If this storms tracks South like some models

Sep 11, 2018, 10:07 PM

I don’t think the rain would hit until Sunday. Definitely gotta watch this one.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 11, 2018, 10:09 PM

Don't think the heavy rain will make it to the upstate until late Saturday or early Sunday. But yes, the rain is potentially heavy - That is if the forecast does not change.

Message was edited by: Tiger68®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If it comes that early, they should cancel the game

Sep 11, 2018, 10:09 PM

the field was garbage the rest of the season after the ND game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: If it comes that early, they should cancel the game

Sep 11, 2018, 10:16 PM

The whole campus was garbage

Savage***

Sep 11, 2018, 10:24 PM

If the European model actually pans out

Sep 28, 2024, 9:22 PM

our coastline would be razed to the ground. NE quadrant riding the entire coastline while the eye stays over water and maintains strength. It's quite literally an apocalyptic scenario

Re: If the European model actually pans out

Sep 11, 2018, 11:12 PM

I am really paranoid of mother nature's strong wind storms, and I guess that is bc of a Tornado that almost leveled our house when I was about 7 or 8 years old in Summerton SC, and I've had a fear of strong winds ever since.

I remember HUGO like it was last year with all the destruction that it caused in SC, especially in Charleston, and the small town of Manning SC where I was living at the time of HUGO. The very last thing I ever want to be close to again for the rest of my life time is another Tornado or Hurricane. HUGO was all the Hurricane experience I'll ever need again, seriously!!!

I mean even strong thunder storms paranoid the living crap out of me, so this Florence Hurricane, I'm not at all looking forward to... If I could afford it, Me, my wife, and my dog would be on an airplane tomorrow heading to Canada until this Hurricane BS was long gone!!! I hope that everyone is safe, and don't try to be Supper Man by staying where they are saying should be evacuated. When the wind out side starts sounding like a full speed locomotive is about to hit where you're at, it,s already to late to try and escape it bc it about to come through where you're sitting or standing!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The thing with Hugo was it was moving so fast

Sep 11, 2018, 11:21 PM

it was chugging along at 35-40 mph and carried hurricane force winds all the way to Charlotte because of this. Florence is about as opposite as you can get except it's a Cat 4. If this model, or something close to it plays out, it could hang around the coast for 3 days. Imagine hurricane force winds for 36-48 straight hours and 15-20 inches of rain. There won't be a tree left standing. The destruction would be beyond catastrophic

Sep 11, 2018, 10:27 PM

I know I'm odd this way, but has anyone else ever wanted to go to the beach and watch a hurricane come in. Maybe going to the top floor of a 40 story high rise condo in N.Mrytle and just watched that bad boy come to shore.

^^^i have had same thoughts

Sep 11, 2018, 10:30 PM

Get some good liquor and beer. Sit on top floor of a ######## like Breakers and just witness the fury of a storm like this..

Re: ^^^i have had same thoughts

Sep 11, 2018, 11:09 PM

I talked to a friend who just moved into a patio home in a development between the campgrounds at myrtle beach .

He says his house was built to withstand a hurricane . He and his wife are going to ride it out . He said almost everyone has evacuated and it feels eerie down there .

He said he hopes the builder wasn't lying .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

As Ron White said: "It isn't THAT the wind is blowing."

Sep 11, 2018, 11:30 PM

"It's WHAT the wind is blowing"

Sep 11, 2018, 11:31 PM [ in reply to Re: ^^^i have had same thoughts ]

If a builder is talking...he’s lying. Seriously, your friend is a fool. If he is anywhere on the ocean side of the waterway in Myrtle Beach then he is reachable by storm tide. That area has no elevation and a patio home would be even more exposed to rising water. Plus, if he gets really unlucky and CAT 3 or better winds hit the beach then he will get a good idea what his slab looks like. Hopefully if the current models hold up he will change his mind and get out while there is time.

Sep 12, 2018, 12:10 AM

Yes , I know . I'm going to try to talk them out of it while there is still time .

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 12, 2018, 8:49 AM

Like I've said, once you hear that Locomotive, it's to late to try and escape that fury. Tell your friend to Google the news papers and the TV news clips of what Charleston looked like after HUGO, then ask him if he is still willing to risk his wife's life in a storm like that!!! Honestly, my wife wouldn't allow me to make that decision for her, and I hope that your friends wife won't either!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, but for a different reason.

Sep 11, 2018, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: If this storms tracks South like some models ]

I want to be the first to hit the beaches with a metal detector after a hurricane.. Gotta be some pirate booty blowing in.

Sep 11, 2018, 10:35 PM [ in reply to Re: If this storms tracks South like some models ]

Bottom floors would flood with no way to get out. No power with electrical problems. Glass and debris flying everywhere. Have at it man

Sep 11, 2018, 10:37 PM

If it were easy everyone would do it. Plus he said he's bringing beer

Sep 11, 2018, 10:38 PM [ in reply to Re: If this storms tracks South like some models ]

If your 40 floors up you have just increased the category level of the storm by 1 or 2. Hurricane 3 is now Hurricane 4/4.5 strength. No thank you.

If it tracks South you would have to find a tall

Sep 11, 2018, 10:41 PM [ in reply to Re: If this storms tracks South like some models ]

Hotel in Charleston but not sure any in Beaufort except in Hilton Head. Personally I think it would be a bad idea but to each his own.

I had the "honor" of seeing the Gulf Coast at Biloxi, MS ...

Sep 11, 2018, 11:18 PM [ in reply to Re: If this storms tracks South like some models ]

...after Camille in 1969. There was a motel there on the coast where a hurricane party was held by a group of "brave" souls. None of them lived to tell the tale.

Don't be stupid!

There were nice homes where all that was left was perhaps the concrete steps leading to the house which was no longer there or perhaps a swimming pool left where a house had been adjacent.

Mother Nature does not suffer fools lightly.

Re: I had the "honor" of seeing the Gulf Coast at Biloxi, MS ...

Sep 12, 2018, 12:37 AM

TigJam®
“There were nice homes where all that was left was perhaps the concrete steps leading to the house which was no longer there or perhaps a swimming pool left where a house had been adjacent.”

I lived in Long Beach for a year, 1992, 23 years after Camille. You could see the steps and concrete pads for non-existent homes. People still talked about Camille and how they survived and the friends who didn’t.

I was in New Smyrna, FL when Charlie came through

Sep 12, 2018, 4:25 AM [ in reply to I had the "honor" of seeing the Gulf Coast at Biloxi, MS ... ]

On the 5th floor of a condo. Not a lot of fun to be in a storm that strong. You could feel the building moving a bit. The next morning there was a good 6-9 inches of sand on our 5th floor balcony. We rode through Daytona the next day - it was hit much harder than Smyrna.

For relaxing times, make it Suntory time

Re: I was in New Smyrna, FL when Charlie came through

Sep 12, 2018, 11:04 AM

Me too....lol. I lived in NSB for 12 years.. Rode out Gene , Francis, and Charlie all were
Cat 3-4 , all within 6 weeks, blew houses apart, telephone poles thru buildings, what a mess!

I stood on the beach for awhile

Sep 12, 2018, 1:37 AM [ in reply to Re: If this storms tracks South like some models ]

during Charles back in 2004. But of course it wasn’t as bad as this. It was pretty cool but the sand hurts hitting your eyes/face and I left after noticing the light pole dancing around with power wires flailing.
I have thought the same as you though it would be very cool to be in a top floor and watch it if you knew you would be safe

There was a poster on here several years ago who said he

Sep 12, 2018, 10:49 AM [ in reply to Re: If this storms tracks South like some models ]

actually rode out Hurricane Hugo on the coast. His words afterward sounded like a Lamecock slogan.

NEVER AGAIN!

It would probably be wise to heed the voice of experience on this one.

Sep 11, 2018, 11:29 PM

Does anyone remember seeing the lighting about 1 or 2 hours after the Notre Dame game of '15. Traveling back home, it was the weirdest most beautiful thing I've ever seen. It was as if the sky became lit orange and blue and would stay that way for 10 to 15 seconds at a time. I remember unloading all the metal tailgating equip. (tents,chairs)when I got home just waiting to get lit up. That is one day from beginning to end I'll always remember. My wife still refuses to go to a game if there is a hint of rain after that night.

Sep 11, 2018, 11:53 PM

Does anyone have any stories of leaving ND game and if you lived in the Columbia area and being able to get home due to floods?

Sep 12, 2018, 7:55 AM

My wife and I were caught in Anderson until Tuesday following the ND game in October 2015. I watched the flooding in Columbia, especially roads I regularly traveled in the vicinity of Gill’s Creek floodzone, and was amazed. There are still wrecks of buildings still standing in the aftermath.

Go Tigers ??!!

Sep 12, 2018, 12:03 AM

I pray it will not track South. The eye just rolling right along the South Carolina coast destroying everything in its path and what it does not blow away or tear down, it will just flood out. This is just an awful scenario and I hope it is one that does not play out.

Just asking, anyone got any idea how a home in James Island is going to hold up in this monster.

The tourism, I assume, for this state I imagine would be shot for years.

Sep 12, 2018, 1:20 AM

I was just north of McClelinville in Surfside during Hugo. I was a beach lifeguard in Myrtle Beach south end while going to Coastal Carolina and we tried to leave the day the storm was coming and couldn’t get out so,we(several lifeguards) surfed for several hours that day. The waves were deadly, it was stupid for us but we were young and dumb.

It took 30 minutes to get past the breakers just to get a wave and they were huge with wind-sheer about 18-25 feet. I got my whole back cut up where a wave slammed me into a reef. I wouldn’t advise anyone to do it unless they swim great, crazy and have someone on a wave runner to set them up and pick them up.

I thought we would die when Hugo came through and regret not getting out. We went a week and half without power and the coastline and flooding were much worse than I thought possible.

My advice is get out, nothing is worth going through what I went through during and after the crazy storm.

If your within a mile of the beach you need to evacuate because you can replace stuff but only one you. ??

This reminds me of this scripture and I know it has many deeper messages but with the storm coming we need to build our house ?? on the rock Jesus and get to higher solid ground.

Matthew 7:24-27 New International Version (NIV)

The Wise and Foolish Builders
24 “Therefore everyone who hears these words of mine and puts them into practice is like a wise man who built his house on the rock. 25 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house; yet it did not fall, because it had its foundation on the rock. 26 But everyone who hears these words of mine and does not put them into practice is like a foolish man who built his house on sand. 27 The rain came down, the streams rose, and the winds blew and beat against that house, and it fell with a great crash.”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We keep getting better & better everyday, in every way!
“The only disability is a bad Attitude” Dabo Swinney!!
Let’s Go Tigers!

Our closest friends lived a couple of blocks off the

Sep 12, 2018, 4:41 AM

beach at Surfside and drove up to stay with us at Lake Murray during Hugo.

I drove to their home after the storm and was stunned to see the damage, especially at Garden City.

Fortunately, I had convinced myself years previously to stay away from those events.

1800+ died in Katrina but only 61 died in Hugo

Sep 12, 2018, 5:53 AM

none died that left.

Katrina flooded the bowl of New Orleans.

Sep 12, 2018, 10:10 AM

Plus below standard and failing levees (responsibility of the local governments) failed.
Different scenario with Flo.

I for one wouldn't want to be oceanside. One good wave in a house built before the International Residential Code, and you're floating in the marsh or smashed against someone else's house.

No power, No Water for days... No Thanks.

That being said, I live 40 miles as the crow flies to Surfside. We will form a prayer circle and watch over our whole home generator.

Sep 12, 2018, 7:41 AM

I went through remnants of Kate in 1985 when it circle from the gulf and went back into the Atlantic. I was in Savannah at the time and it was a tropical storm then. It was all the bad weather I wanted to see. No desire to see one up close ever.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Now tracking more West than forecasted-this thing could

Sep 12, 2018, 8:21 AM

end up hitting further South than anticipated. This morning's models have it hitting SC.

Hopefully it changes three more times and spins off North without hitting the US.

Replies: 36
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic