Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brad Brownell answers this about state of the program...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Brad Brownell answers this about state of the program...

Apr 10, 2019, 3:48 PM

Yesterday...

--- When asked this question — “How do you feel about the state of the program right now, what you guys return, what you’re bringing in for next year?” — Brownell was blunt in his assessment of the Tigers.

“I know it looks like we’re losing some great players and the other guys are all unproven and so now it’s like, ‘Oh wow, the state of the program.’ I think that term is a little, there’s some negativity in the question, to be honest with you,” Brownell said.

-- He continued: “I think the program’s fine. I think it’s hard to be really good every year. If you really want to know the truth, I think if you look at the history of basketball at a lot of schools, there’s very few programs that are really good every season and built to win 20 games every season. It’s hard.

“Having said that, I’m not going to put a limit on our team. I have a lot of confidence in the guys we have. I have a lot of confidence in our coaching staff. I like the new players we’re bringing in. We’re working really hard to add a couple more pieces. I think our program’s in a really good situation. Our guys graduate. We do things the right way. We’re coming off two-straight 20 win season. I guess part of that question frustrates me because you’re not looking holistically at everything that’s going on, what’s happening in our program.” --

https://www.thestate.com/sports/college/acc/clemson-university/article228998444.html

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He's being honest, but that won't be received well.***

Apr 10, 2019, 4:38 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Half of the teams that play will lose on any given day.***

Apr 10, 2019, 4:38 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Brad Brownell answers this about state of the program...

Apr 10, 2019, 4:48 PM

You will never hear a winner whine about how hard it is to win every year, or tell you to look at the history of college basketball and see that there’s not many programs that can win big every year. A winner doesn’t make excuses like that. They just win,and if they don’t they don’t whine and make excuses like that. They own it. It’s not hard to see why he’s 2-129 in close games that go down to the final play.

Dabo says all these things all the time...

Apr 10, 2019, 5:44 PM

i for one was thinking he's been talking to DAbo to get his talking points. Dabo says its hard to win. And that's why the fun is in the winning. Dabo talks all the time about the culture of graduating players and how that's more important that winning. Dabo when talking about the "clemsoning" thing way back when and talked about its not just Clemson losing games but everyone loses games because its not easy. "Its not far from the Penthouse to the Outhouse."

Brad isn't saying anything ground breaker or defaming. Its just at different sport and set of circumstances.

It all really has to do with getting good players. If he could recruit he could fix all this but will he? Has he? Thats the question that i had when we first hired him. That was not a question when it came to Dabo because he was rated the #1 recruiter in the nation the year before by rivals or something like that. So i understood them hiring him. He got CJ Spiller to clemson and almost got Tim Tebow. I knew he was gifted in that respect and knew that was a great baseline to start from. Because thats where it all starts and stops.

Along with recruiting DAbo has just had a super ambitious vision about facilities, asst. coaches, building leadership from within through mentorship and tutors, and creating a program that builds upon accountability of each other to ensure everyone is pulling their own weight.

Dabo said those things WHILE WINNING GAMES!

Apr 10, 2019, 6:26 PM

Huge difference.

All the difference in the world.

Apr 10, 2019, 8:11 PM

I think BB is a fine man of the highest moral character. In that regard he certainly does Clemson proud. His record, his on-court performance however, is what it is, and it's mediocre. It was mediocre for 6 straight years, then a fantastic sweet 16 run, thenn back to mediocre. That much is undeniable. Yes, football and basketball have very different histories and have always been on different levels in terms of resources, support, and priorities at Clemson, but coach Brownell cannot be conveniently extricated from his record at Clemson, as if it never happend. Rather, in spite of all of the good things, he is inextricably tied to it, fair or not. The question is, can anyone else be expected to do better, with the same degree of integrity, all other things being equal? If so, then we have to be seriously considering that option. If not, we either need to make the needed changes internally concerning resources and priotities, or just accept perpetual mediocrity. To repeat the same things over and over in the same environment and expect different results ...

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Democracy is the theory that the common people know what they want, and deserve to get it good and hard."
- H. L. Mencken

Re: Dabo said those things WHILE WINNING GAMES!

Apr 11, 2019, 8:53 PM [ in reply to Dabo said those things WHILE WINNING GAMES! ]

Exactly. Dabo saying it equals humbleness in success.

Brown stein saying it equals excuse.

How is the “state of program” question a reflection of negativity?

Amen Tigerlife!! He comes off like a baby ??

Apr 10, 2019, 8:51 PM [ in reply to Re: Brad Brownell answers this about state of the program... ]

By the way he answered that question. It is easy now to see why he loses so many players and games.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Is it just me orrrrr

Apr 10, 2019, 5:15 PM

Does it look like brads been hitting the bottle hard look at his face its far from the confident man he came here as he looks like a shell of himself.

The negativity was in his answer, not in the question. Brad

Apr 10, 2019, 6:24 PM

does not have a winners mentality, and that is why he will never get over the hump. Same as Bowden. The comparisons are endless. Please can we move on from this era?

Nope. DRad raised CBB's buyout from $800k to $5 Million

Apr 10, 2019, 6:56 PM

after last year's season spike so we're stuck with him for at least 2 more years now.

Brad has it in him to win - we've all seen it before. He only seems to draw on that though when his back is against the wall. Oh well.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nope. DRad raised CBB's buyout from $800k to $5 Million

Apr 11, 2019, 11:39 AM

Yes, because cutting a program budget and not offering an bigger contract after a sweet-sixteen appearance is what you do in college basketball.

Ask Washington State about that approach after they did that exact thing to.... Tony Bennett.

Re: Nope. DRad raised CBB's buyout from $800k to $5 Million

Apr 11, 2019, 11:46 AM [ in reply to Nope. DRad raised CBB's buyout from $800k to $5 Million ]

Maybe he should hire his agent as assistant coach. That guy is good.

Apr 10, 2019, 6:51 PM

Brad is also starting to get obnoxiously sarcastic. I remember when I listened to his post game radio interview after the Wright State NIT win and after about less than 2000 were in attendance he said thanks for all the people coming out to the game. I mean come on. No reason to go there...

Groundhog Day #67

Apr 10, 2019, 8:16 PM

Thanks for keeping it alive...again....

and again....

and again...

you could stop anytime you want...

instead...again....and again...and again...

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don’t have a problem with anything he said.

Apr 10, 2019, 8:20 PM

It’s all true.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: I don’t have a problem with anything he said.

Apr 10, 2019, 8:23 PM

Now there’s a shocker.

Re: I don’t have a problem with anything he said.

Apr 11, 2019, 10:29 AM

What's funny is that you are "crying" on an internet message board about Brownell's "crying"

I feel sorry for a lot of you. YOu all would still be "crying" no matter what his answer was.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't think any of us expect Clemson MBB to be

Apr 10, 2019, 8:41 PM

"really good" every year. Getting to that level more than once in 9 seasons would be nice, though.

We know it's not easy Brownell. That's why you get paid

Apr 10, 2019, 8:49 PM

Over a million bucks to accomplish it #######. I swear he comes off like a moron answering that question. Even worse a whiny moron crying about the job he's asked to do some people would drool at the chance.

Classy move calling our coach a #######.***

Apr 11, 2019, 10:17 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: We know it's not easy Brownell. That's why you get paid

Apr 11, 2019, 10:22 AM [ in reply to We know it's not easy Brownell. That's why you get paid ]

Do you want Brownell to think delusionally about our basketball team, or realistically? Because everything that he said was completely true.

So you all are mad at him for telling it like it is instead of lying.

Pic says 1000 words-- Dazed, confused and beat down

Apr 11, 2019, 11:21 AM

Brownell is in so far over his head that it's like working in a mine shaft...

Back to the comedy routine I see...

Apr 11, 2019, 1:34 PM

That ended well last time.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

HIs problem is he is not good in the clutch, if he won

Apr 11, 2019, 11:30 AM

half the close games he has lost, he would be an outstanding coach. Only half, that is really sad.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: HIs problem is he is not good in the clutch, if he won

Apr 11, 2019, 11:37 AM

Yeah, we would be top-10 team at about 28 wins. That is what happened in 17-18 when he was 4-5 in close games. That is also the difference in last year as we have 3 potential scoring threats compared to only one.

2 of 7 were outside of littlejohn. He skews really close to those road/neutral as being close. On the other side, when he wins, it is 13.8ppg.

So when he loses, we have a chance to win. When we win, we normally don't give teams a chance.

LOL, how exactly is a coach supposed to be clutch?!?

Apr 11, 2019, 12:01 PM [ in reply to HIs problem is he is not good in the clutch, if he won ]

Either he draws up a good play/scheme for our players or not. It's up to the players to execute.

How about giving Brownell and his players credit for even being in so many situations late in games with a chance to win? Many of those were against teams with more talent; games we weren't supposed to have a chance to win.

Re: LOL, how exactly is a coach supposed to be clutch?!?

Apr 11, 2019, 5:08 PM

Lmao, just stop. Who gives a #### if the games were “close” or they were in the games late. That doesn’t mean ####. It’s either a win or a loss. There isn’t an asterisk in the win loss column for “close losses”. They don’t get partial wins for being in the game late. If you lose by 50 or by 1, it’s still a LOSS. What a losers mentality you and Brownlee have. No wonder you are always riding his jock.

The idea of being close and competitive when overmatched is extremely important

Apr 11, 2019, 9:17 PM

when we are talking about a school and fan base like ours has never supported basketball consistently.

We don’t have a right to expect a winning program over the long haul when we are next to last in the ACC in basketball spending and only sell out games when we play Duke or UNC and have the opposing teams’ fans to help out attendance numbers.

Stop the unhealthy fascination with all things football and actually start supporting basketball worth a crap, and then we can talk about what is realistic for our basketball program.

Apr 11, 2019, 12:09 PM [ in reply to HIs problem is he is not good in the clutch, if he won ]

the close games argument is so f’ing stupid.

So if we just won half of the close games this year then you would be cool with his performance?

Sooo if Miami/ ncstate don’t both make a less than 20% shot, then brownell is good?

If they don’t call the foul on trap (not a foul) then you would be happy with brownell?

Apr 11, 2019, 5:16 PM

Yes - Clemson would have made the tourney and we would have been happy.

Next question.

Apr 11, 2019, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: HIs problem is he is not good in the clutch, if he won ]

Next question.

Apr 11, 2019, 5:17 PM [ in reply to Re: HIs problem is he is not good in the clutch, if he won ]

Next question.

Deer Brad....

Apr 11, 2019, 11:47 AM

You "think" or you know?

Huge pet peeve when someone who is running a team or an organization uses think instead of know.

You should know where you and your team stands.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

"No one knew we were overhyped until the season started." - Classof09

"It's only unthinkable if you don't think it." -Dabo***

Apr 11, 2019, 12:02 PM

Completely different context, no?***

Apr 11, 2019, 1:10 PM

but glad to see you coming to Brad's rescue, per the usual....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Clemson has been historically better than Carolina. That's pretty obvious." - Classof09

I just thought it was a great opportunity

Apr 11, 2019, 2:47 PM

to insert that quote. Nothing more, nothing less.

Do you always overanalyze things this much?

Re: I just thought it was a great opportunity***

Apr 11, 2019, 5:46 PM

So... "It's hard",

Apr 11, 2019, 11:58 AM

"very few programs are really good every season", and "our guys graduate".

Well.. That pretty much sums it up coach.. Looks like it's gonna be a rough basketball season next year.

GO TIGERS!!

If he’s complaining about

Apr 11, 2019, 1:27 PM

“What do you think of the state of the program?” being a negative question, then he’s got a head full of negativity. That’s just crazy.

And I like the guy. But...man...that’s not good.

Re: If he’s complaining about

Apr 11, 2019, 1:47 PM

Apr 11, 2019, 9:02 PM

We complain about Brownell losing those close games. Would we be happier if he lost by a larger margin?

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 42
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic