Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Texas A&M: A look at the Aggies
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

Aug 11, 2019, 12:52 PM

CU will beat G-Tech in game 1, just like A&M will whip Tex St. Both games Aug 29. Then the Tigers & Aggies play a big game in DV Sept 7 @ 3:30. Just what are we looking at with A&M this year?

Their good stuff: They get Kellen Mond back at QB. He can hurt teams with his running & scrambling - 430 yards & 3 rushing TDs in '18. Passing - 3107, 24 TDs but 9 INTS. Plus, he's got to be more accurate & consistent; 57% CR.

Their O-line returns Dan Moore who started all games in '18 & they return enough guys who started half their games. Maybe some drop-off from '18, but not a ton.

They also return a great WR group - Courtney Davis - 585 yds, 7 TDs; Rashaud Paul - 474 & TDs; Jhamon Ausbon - 375/ no TDs; & the freakish Kendrick Rogers - 336 & 5TDs. Plus Hezekiah Jones, Sam Buckley & maybe others we don't know. If Mond has time to throw or run & improves accuracy & cuts down on INTs - it could be challenging.

But, some bad stuff about the offense: Losing Trayveon Williams (1,700 rushing & 278 receiving) is HARD to replace. It would be like CU not having Etienne. This year it's RB by committee.

Aggies also lose last year's top receiver - TE Jace Sternberger (832 yards & 10 TDs) & Jimbo luuuvvs that TE game. Coming in for them in '19 is the #1 rated TE in the class - Baylor Copp - but that's a very tough position to come in as a freshman & be great right off.

Losing T. Williams & Sternberger is just a ton of last year's offense!

The BIG PLUS on offense: Braden Mann returns for his final year. Likely the best punter in history. Averaged 51 yards per kick (best EVER); averaged 61 yards vs Bama last year (best EVER); had an 82 yard punt vs Kentucky last year - AND won the Ray Guy Award AND was a consensus All-american. [Good part is, CU seems to LIKE starting TD drives from the 1 or 2].

Aggies lose 3 key starters on the D-line, the 4th best vs the rush last year. But, they get back guys who saw lots of playing time & had starts too - Michael Clemons (red Jr), Justin Madubuike (red Jr...if I spelled it right). Then the younger guys - Jaylen Peevy (soph), Tyree Johnson (red soph), Bobby Brown (soph). 3 big 4/5-star new guys who could contribute. But, like CU, that D-line has as much talent to replace. Good to have them early in DV.

At LB, they're thin. CU, I believe, will have more experience & depth at LB & I think will outplay them at the position. Weakest part of the Aggie D is LB.

Their secondary is experienced but needs to be better (or get help in '19). I wouldn't write them off. They just need to improve. Again, good to play them early.

A&M's schedule is brutal - playing Clemson (away); Bama (H); & closing the season on the road @ UGA then @ LSU! Then throw in Auburn (H); MissST (H) & SC (last home game) before the final 2 on the road. They have 4 "gimmes" - Tex ST; Lamar; UTSA & Ole Miss. I'd say ARK too, but last year's game was close. They probably win at home vs AUB; MissST & SC - somewhat hard to predict. They need a signature win to get back to 9 wins - which (I think) COULD be UGA. I'm OK with any - as long as it's NOT Clemson.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 11, 2019, 1:44 PM

Good break down! And before someone says it, "nobody is ignoring GT"! The team certainly isn't; but this is a message board for fans!
With that said, yes the Aggies will be a tough out. The game is scheduled for a 1530 start. I wish it were later, say 7. Having BV on our sideline and an explosive offense will be how we win this one. If their offense has success b/c some of the new starters are still getting their feet wet, our offense will have to be good as advertised.
I just see BV not allowing A&M to run up and down the field; even with new players in key roles. Remember all the reps our new starters got: invaluable. Now, crowd noise works against the Aggies! Now, their new starters have to adjust on the road early season in a hostile environment - how will they react to it?
We talk about our new starters - but they have them too and this will be their 1st road game. At least our new starters have the familiarity of playing at home. Advantage Clemson.
Reps for new starters - advantage Clemson(probably - not sure if they played a bunch of players or not). WR - advantage Clemson - but not by miles!
RB - advantage Clemson.
QB - advantage Clemson.
OL - probably advantage clemson; but not sure about A&M OL returning starters.
DL - scratch. both teams replacing - but we played all these guys significant reps L.Y.
LB - advantage Clemson.
DB- advantage Clemson.

And, I would take this to say a neutral fan and ask and be confident they would agree! Neutral like say a fan of Iowa or something, LOL!

Should be a great game! Jimbo Fisher has a NC and is a good coach! You know he will be licking his chops to get a win in DV. But, we too deep! The boys will come to play ball and play well this game. Regardless of what happens in GT game; the biggest leap/improvement some old timers say is between the 1 & 2 to 3 & 4 game for most players! Our guys played all those snaps as reserves L.Y. so having played the GT game the week prior in combination should settle them down nicely!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Texas A&M: A look at the Aggies

Aug 11, 2019, 2:09 PM

Last Year’s game would have been about 35-10 if Kelly Bryant doesn’t fumble on the goal line about to go up 21-3. That gave them the momentum for the rest of the game.

It will be a tough out only because Mond runs around which gives him all day to throw up those prayers he call passes. KVon should have had 3-5 INT’s last year by himself.

For some reason I feel we could blow them out or it will be an absolute nail biter just like last year only because Mond runs around and has all day.

Their secondary is terrible and LB’s are questionable.

They have a 5* stud coming in at DT and their OL is very good. The new RB is having good reviews out of camp as well as the #1 TE recruit.

Plus the X factor - Jimbo is one of the only guys that really gives Venables fits with the play action underneath crossing route stuff.

IDK. It could go either way. We better come to play.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If A&M's LBs are weak,

Aug 11, 2019, 3:13 PM [ in reply to Texas A&M: A look at the Aggies ]

Diondre Overton will rip them apart from the slot.

In fact, the majority of the game may be a battle of the underneath game. Jimbo loves to use 2 TEs and they're good at it, but our back 7 should limit their success.

We should be able to run on them AND hit the underneath passes, bringing up the safeties and then hit them deep with Higgins and Ross and everybody else that wants a TD.

Spot the ball.

Something we have this year that we did not have last

Aug 11, 2019, 2:12 PM

year is game film on Texas A&M in Jimbo's system. Last year, this was a big advantage for Texas A&M because we literally had no film to study of A&M's players executing Jimbo's scheme on offense or Elko's scheme on defense. Texas A&M, on the other hand, had a ton of Clemson film and knew what to expect from every player we had on the field. Now that we have plenty of film to study of A&M players executing the systems in which they will play will be a big help in regards to game prep.

Have no doubts, A&M is a very talented team - talented enough to beat us if we come out flat or don't play our "A game". However, I think the experience we have on offense will set the tone while the young talent we have on defense will rise to the occasion. I like us winning this one in a hard fought game in Death Valley.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aggies were not a good road team last year

Aug 11, 2019, 2:16 PM

Only power 5 win was the coots and that isn’t saying much.

Aug 11, 2019, 2:46 PM

I look for this game to be pretty close headed into the 4th , the Tigers up by 7-10.
But the Tiger O takes it over and we win 31-13

Our odds of winning at home, in a big game are

Aug 11, 2019, 2:58 PM

extremely high. By how much I don't know, but we will win.

We could be less talented and we would still win.

Aug 11, 2019, 3:13 PM

I'm gonna have to put my pick on hold for this one until I hear who Corso picks. Then I'll know.

Big Bad SEC team is going to show the ACC who's da boss***

Aug 11, 2019, 3:20 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic