Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What if Coach Swinney didn't win as much?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 7
| visibility 1,394

What if Coach Swinney didn't win as much?

Sep 26, 2019, 1:04 PM

I just watched the Clemson Life videos with Coach Swinney and it, like many other things he does, made me think about how fortunate we are to have him leading our program. But what if we weren't hauling in 5 stars, wins and championships. Would it be acceptable to Tiger fans to have Tommy Bowden's on the field results with Coach Swinney's character and leadership? I think the realistic answer would be no. It wouldn't be enough, but should it be?

I remember the "good Christian man" label being a reason some defended Coach Bowden, but more often it was a point of ridicule against those that wanted to keep him. Coach Bowden was a respectable man and leader, but let's be honest, Coach Swinney surpasses him in every area.

I'm just curious what others think Coach Swinney's off the field value is to the program.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would much rather lose with Dabo

Sep 26, 2019, 1:06 PM

As our head coach then with many many others winning. As far as I am concerned he deserves a lifetime contract

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What if Coach Swinney didn't win as much?

Sep 26, 2019, 1:14 PM

What Dabo does with Clemson Life, PAW Journey, and all of the other positive aspects of his leadership help him win games and get quality recruits.

With that said, none of those things are what he is paid to do. They improve his program but make no mistake that he is paid to keep Clemson a winning football program.

He can do all of those other things for a football program without being the head coach. He remains the head coach because he wins.

Sure, a bad guy gets removed quicker than a good guy, but winning is what keeps people around.

Sep 26, 2019, 1:26 PM

If Dabo didn't win as much, those who would complain about him wouldn't have become Clemson fans to start with.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2019, 2:07 PM

CUfan99 said:

Would it be acceptable to Tiger fans to have Tommy Bowden's on the field results with Coach Swinney's character and leadership?
=================================================

The answer is obviously no. If we were chronically underachieving after Dabo's tenth year as we were under Bowden, he would have been replaced.

I remember the "good Christian man" label being a reason some defended Coach Bowden, but more often it was a point of ridicule against those that wanted to keep him.

Anyone who would criticize a man for being a faithful Christian and a man of impeccable integrity, proven character... well, they're fools. They don't have the wisdom to comment on any aspect of the coaching position.

Dabo is a man whose faith is evident in all he does - his speech and his actions. But he's won multiple championships because he's a great coach and he has maintained a great staff for years. As a fellow Christian I'm glad he does it the right way. I'm glad our coaches and the best players in the country are glad to be here. The best want to play here. That's why he wins.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Then he wouldn't be Dabo.***

Sep 26, 2019, 2:07 PM

Sep 26, 2019, 3:02 PM

Realistically he would have been replaced if we were in midst of mediocrity that Tommy Bowden put us in.

However to sit back and observe how Dabo puts the faith, college, team, players, and alot of others in front of himself. I dont see how he can lose. He has changed the way clemson looks at not only there football program but the way they do things all around. I mean even the town of Clemson is better because of this man. There are more programs to help people today in the clemson community than there ever has been before. This is not because there wasnt opportunity because there has been many before.

I just dont see major failure as an option for this man. We all have small failures in life and that is a given. But the way Dabo holds each one around him to a higher standard and the way he leads by example I personally do not expect to see major failure in this mans career.

Just my 2 cents.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 26, 2019, 3:08 PM

I once heard Danny Ford say that he was being praised after winning the national championship in 1981. He asked if he lost every game the next year would they still love him. He said he was told, "we would still love you, and we would miss you too." Probably a lot of truth in that statement!

Replies: 7
| visibility 1,394
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic