Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The Thinning Of The Herd: October 6th-13th Edition
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 21
| visibility 1

The Thinning Of The Herd: October 6th-13th Edition

Oct 7, 2018, 7:11 AM

My weekly reminder that College Football has a way of "thinning the herd"...to help those of you that continue to wallow in wonder of what will happen if more than 4 teams go undefeated (which, by the way, will not happen and hence my post).

Going into last week, we were down to 12 teams that are undefeated as we entered the 2nd week of October. In last week's post, I took a stab that 2 undefeated teams would fall on Saturday and I undershot that by 1....as 3 undefeated teams bit the dust:

LSU: You still can't trust that offense
Oklahoma: You still can't trust that defense
Kentucky: I trusted nothing about Kentucky.

We are now down to single digits the number of teams that are undefeated (9).

Weekend of October 13th "Thinning Of The Herd":

Guaranteed Thinning Will Take Place:
No match-up next week between undefeated teams, so no guarantees of thinning next week.

"Upset Alert"??
Minnesota (3-2) at (6-0) Ohio State. A nooner, enough reason by itself to be an upset alert.
Pittsburgh (3-3) at (6-0) Notre Dame. Maybe a stretch for upset alert as Pitt is a weird team.
Georgia (6-0) vs. (5-1) LSU. SEC has a tendency to eat itself, especially in other Death Valley.
UCF (6-0) at Memphis (4-2). Doesn't matter. UCF is not in conversation for playoffs.
Colorado (5-0) at (3-2) USC. Pac 12 After Dark is always ripe for drama.

Will Keep Winning....For Now
Mizzou (3-2) at (6-0) Alabama. Another blowout for Tide.
West Virginia (5-0) at (2-3) Iowa State. WVU is enjoying their schedule, for now...
Clemson (6-0) has a bye and plays NC State in 2 weeks (guaranteed thinning of herd)
NC State (5-0) has a bye and plays Clemson in 2 weeks (guaranteed thinning of herd)

This upcoming week is interesting as there 5 games that are on "upset alert" plus you could stretch and say WVU better watch out vs. Iowa State. This is the kind of week, with so many up in the air games, you could see as many as 3 more undefeated teams go down.

I'll stay conservative and say we will lose 2 more from the undefeated next week. Thinning is inevitable...almost like ETN gaining at least 5 yards every time he touches the ball.

The college football season has a way of “thinning the herd”

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I would have WV on upset alert. Iowa State has proven they

Oct 7, 2018, 7:18 AM

can take out higher ranked teams and this one is in Ames.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Would be a great time for Pitt to have their

Oct 7, 2018, 7:21 AM

annual signature win of the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

Agree

Oct 7, 2018, 7:33 AM

nm

Re: Would be a great time for Pitt to have their

Oct 7, 2018, 5:29 PM [ in reply to Would be a great time for Pitt to have their ]

Pitt has managed to boost our ranking at least one year we didn't play them, and also managed not to hurt our ranking the year we didn't play them well. It's an odd history considering how little we've actually faced them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: The Thinning Of The Herd: October 6th-13th Edition

Oct 7, 2018, 7:24 AM

In the last 35 years, Minnesota has beaten OSU once.

They are not beating OSU at OSU next week.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 7:59 AM

To me all that matters is that we win and we need UGA or Notre dame to.slip up. A 1 loss uga or undefeated notre dame will keep us out.

No way 1 loss UGA keeps 13-0 Clemson

Oct 7, 2018, 8:59 AM

No way, no how

^^^ Truth ^^^***

Oct 7, 2018, 8:17 PM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 7, 2018, 9:00 AM [ in reply to Re: The Thinning Of The Herd: October 6th-13th Edition ]

Undefeated CLemson > 1 loss UGA.

No way a 1 loss UGA keeps us out.

No they won’t. Not even close.

Oct 7, 2018, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Re: The Thinning Of The Herd: October 6th-13th Edition ]

ESPN doesn’t get a vote on the CFP.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I look forward to this post every week***

Oct 7, 2018, 10:28 AM

Thanks!

Oct 7, 2018, 10:45 AM

sr

Oh no!

Oct 7, 2018, 11:04 AM

Poor USF and Cincy. Nobody includes them.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UCF could go undefeated 2 years in a row

Oct 7, 2018, 2:28 PM

And not make playoffs.

Re: UCF could go undefeated 2 years in a row

Oct 7, 2018, 3:20 PM

Yes they can. They will be left out, and they will LIKE IT.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

they have their own trophy***

Oct 7, 2018, 4:06 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why not?

Oct 7, 2018, 4:19 PM

Claiming championships works for bammer

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We do Chicken right...it's not just for frying anymore!

I was wondering the same thing. 119 of 130 have lost at

Oct 7, 2018, 4:36 PM [ in reply to Oh no! ]

least one game. May as well recognize all 11 who are undefeated, as it is obviously extremely difficult to be one of them.

I trust Kentucky's defense. Their offense is terrible but

Oct 7, 2018, 4:14 PM

their defense is 3rd in S&P+ right now (offense is 90th).

I also think Iowa State is quite capable of knocking off WVU at home. I think that's much, much, more likely than Minnesota beating Ohio State or Pitt knocking off Notre Dame. Iowa state is only 2-3, but they've lost 3 pretty close games to good teams and they are a notoriously tough out in big games at home.

Good analysis on Iowa State

Oct 7, 2018, 4:31 PM

thanks.

Re: Good thoughts

Oct 7, 2018, 7:51 PM

I enjoy these posts. Good stuff. I don't think OSU is on upset alert at home against MN, but I get it, it's a nooner.

Also, as crazy as things get late in the year, I wouldn't completely count UCF out of the playoff. Although I think it's unlikely, they're #10 right now and could definitely go undefeated. They gained a lot of respect last year, especially with the bowl win over Auburn. Count this in the "you never know" bucket I guess. This could be the year where the perfect storm hits.

Replies: 21
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic