Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Of the last 40 years or so of NFL offshoot leagues,
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 4
| visibility 1

Of the last 40 years or so of NFL offshoot leagues,

Feb 10, 2019, 8:55 PM

I would give this AAF structure the best chance yet at keeping a sustainable product going.

Football is at an all-time high in popularity, and with the incredible exposure that college football is getting on TV and streaming media over the years, there's a lot more familiarity with many of the players that are filling these rosters. Add in the media money and training investments that have poured in to most college programs, players that don't make it to the NFL straight on are still at a higher and more competitive level than what we've seen in the past.

This could be good.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Of the last 40 years or so of NFL offshoot leagues,

Feb 10, 2019, 9:34 PM

I liked the USFL . Thought they were going to make it longer than they did .
In my opinion , the AAF is not sustainable . I believe football fans are in love with the current model of if you can't make it into the NFL , head on up to Canada .
I love watching football nearly year round though ...hope they last a few years .

Message was edited by: Tigerdug23®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

I wonder why they've never considered

Feb 10, 2019, 10:07 PM

joining some American teams with the Canadian League

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wonder why they've never considered

Feb 10, 2019, 10:17 PM

Not sure if serious but they tried it in the 90s, the American teams got greedy and wanted to change the league and attendance was poor in the US

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Canadian_Football_League_in_the_United_States

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Of the last 40 years or so of NFL offshoot leagues,

Feb 10, 2019, 10:03 PM

I liked the USFL, I even went to a couple of the Washington Federals (?) games. This league's success/failure lies with the tv contract. With the popularity of betting and fantasy sports they just might make it. This Salt Lake v. AZ game is pretty good.

The old AFL was kept afloat by the TV money in the 60s. Their main draw was offense. In the 60's the NFL was still a running game, while the AFL had a lot more scoring and big plays. My father and I would watch the Bears v.the Lons, and then switch to the Raiders v. Chargers. Totally different game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 4
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic