Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I drove through Clemson yesterday, at least I think it was
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

I drove through Clemson yesterday, at least I think it was

Jul 14, 2019, 10:37 AM

I drove from Charleston to Highlands, NC for a wedding yesterday and drove through Clemson on the way up there.

WOW! Things have changed. We do have season football tickets but since my last child graduated from CU about 5 years ago we do not attend games and sell the tickets instead.

Almost all old buildings are gone. Lesters is a hardware store. Lamars in gone. KFC in Tiger Sports shop I think, Even the new Sonic drive in is now Verizon. Driving from Hwy 123 from Clemson to Seneca is unrecognizable. Back in the days there were no large trees lining 123 like it is now. The trees are nice but I don't see anything that I remember except Pixie and Bills.
What happened to the huge Dunlop facility corner of Hwy 123 and Hwy 93?
Where is the Waffle House on Hwy 76? And where is that ENTIRE strip mall?
Where is the Chicken Shack?

And I did not even drive through campus or College Ave. I'm scared to............sometimes progress is NOT a good thing.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I drove through Clemson yesterday, at least I think it was

Jul 14, 2019, 10:56 AM

Chicken Shack was the dope....Lord the Girls from that place...and I was a young dude....heaven...thanks for the memory

Jul 14, 2019, 11:04 AM

Not attending a Clemson game in five years is not good progress either.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thx Contractor for the scenic tour of Tigertown..

Jul 14, 2019, 11:16 AM

on the outskirts, that is. ??

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2019, 12:29 PM [ in reply to Re: I drove through Clemson yesterday, at least I think it was ]

:) Be very thankful that you can attend games, and do it as often as you're able. For me, due to health issues, I haven't been able to attend in years. But, I did manage to attend the SG this year. However, I did have to stop and rest halfway up one of those hills from the parking lot. No way could I climb the steps to the top row though, so attending games is not a good idea for me. I'll stick to the SG each year as I can sit close to the portal entrance.

How do you have season tickets and missed arguably the best 5 years in CU football history? ***

Jul 14, 2019, 11:39 AM

Jul 14, 2019, 11:46 AM

Having grown up in Clemson in the 60s and 70s I never considered 123 to be “Clemson”. Other than more and more on 123 I really don’t think it has changed that much. The change that bothers me is College Ave that now has 4-5 story apartments. Too late but wish zoning would have at least limited buildings to 2 stories.
You’re getting ready to see truly ugly growth - another 4-5 story apartment complex where the Blue Heron is now (old Winn-Dixie for us old timers) and another on Keowee Trail.

^ Yep..little Davidson College Town above CLT has over-sized bldgs & mutiple road circles..

Jul 14, 2019, 12:44 PM

and it's ruined forever as a Village that it was!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 14, 2019, 12:52 PM

Agree - Contractor .... many times we want things to stay as we remember them !!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

I welcome all of the new construction and updates

Jul 14, 2019, 1:00 PM

Clemson has done a great job of turning the football success into a massive renovation of the entire campus and surrounding town. The progress made in Clemson is mostly good. The only thing I don’t love is the apartment buildings lording over downtown.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Today's Clemson is not the school I attended.

Jul 14, 2019, 1:18 PM

And there are certainly things I miss about the good ole days. But these days are better.

I probably visit Clemson for one reason or the other 15 times a year and I've done that for 45 years. It surely isn't the place it was, but it seems largely to be much, much better. As much as I miss the quaint little downtown where I bought jewelry for my girlfriend, clothing for myself, watched a lot of great movies, ate a lot of mediocre food and so forth, the current town of Clemson and Clemson University is more in tune with who they should be than who they were.

My grandkids might go to modern day Clemson. They would not consider attending if Clemson was the same place it was in 1968-73 when I called it home.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic