Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was anyone else in attendance at this game . . .
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 17
| visibility 1

Was anyone else in attendance at this game . . .

Apr 22, 2019, 9:39 PM
IMG_1024.PNG(50.3 K)

Dad brought my sister (Blair) and me to this one. She was 10, I was 7. We did our usual thing the week prior (cutting up a bag or two of confetti from old Sears catalogs or newspapers). Once at the game, Dad left us to ourselves to play and cheer on the hill as he went to sit with friends. We always had instructions to meet him after the game under the Hill Goal Post.

Then the hail started . . . There wasn't enough room under the stands for everyone to fit . . . We were frightened and being pelted severely . . . A group of 4 or 5 Clemson Men gathered around and hovered over us for protection . . . I remember looking up and seeing every one of them smiling . . . One gentleman, a bald man, had blood trickling down this forehead, but his smile I remember the most . . . when the hail stopped, they made sure we were ok, they hugged us both and sent us on our way.

A Clemson Man needs no introduction? . . . These guys were our heros!!!

I wish I could have thanked these gentlemen later in life . . . Maybe one of you are related . . . Maybe it was Joe21 himself . . . Whoever they were (are), THANK YOU!!!!!!!

Go TIGERS!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Was anyone else in attendance at this game . . .

Apr 22, 2019, 9:51 PM

I was there and was six years old. The water from the hail was leaking from the stands above and my mom shoved me into the ticket booth. I’m 62 now and my mom is turning 93.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My mother was. Has always said it was the craziest

Apr 22, 2019, 9:57 PM

game she's ever been to.

There, with 3 visiting couples, and we all headed to cover & later to my Pre-Fab House

Apr 22, 2019, 10:07 PM

near current baseball park to dry off, and several of the men went back to game later while women dried the clothes next to a space heater.

A dangerous & horrific storm that caused all to run for cover under the much smaller concession areas & fewer rest rooms!

Oh, I was 22 then; 77.9 now!!

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2019, 11:22 PM

Wanted to bad because it was Dads Day and until I learned what that meant, I always thought it was like Father’s Day.

My brother and I were so disappointed but we understood. We’d get to pick two games a year to go to and we’d always pick the game around nov 15- our bday and the coots game... well, because it was the coots. That was until 66 when we could start working in David Smith’s red and white grocery store and make our own money for tickets. Then we’d go to every game, home and away.

Tickets to the two games were bday and Christmas presents every year. We was po but one thing for shore- we loved our Tigers.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I was there as a student

Apr 22, 2019, 11:35 PM

I can't remember if I had an umbrella or took shelter under the stands. I remember the players coming back after halftime with the "what the heck happened" expression on their face. I don't remember who we were playing, but I think we lost. I'm sure if I go up to the attic and get out my TAPS I will find those answers, but it is too late tonight.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I was there as a student

Apr 22, 2019, 11:46 PM

Uga of all teams but we ended in a 7-7 tie.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 22, 2019, 11:55 PM

+1 thanks to all for sharing your memories.

Apr 23, 2019, 1:43 AM

I was 12 years old selling programs at the game. The athletic department would give us a general admission ticket after we sold all our programs. Since we didn't have seats, we usually sat on the bank during the game. When it started hailing at half time we hid under the Clemson rug to get out of the weather!

Yes - I was playing on the Hill and took off for Fike***

Apr 23, 2019, 4:03 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2019, 8:08 AM

I was there . We went to our dorm in Johnstone(we called it the “tin cans). Changed into dry clothes and returned to the stadium.

Apr 23, 2019, 8:09 AM

I was there.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Climate change is real ... they didn't have storms like that

Apr 23, 2019, 9:00 AM

3 billion years ago.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wow, this is one piece of Clemson football history I had

Apr 23, 2019, 9:12 AM

never heard of. BARELY beating Weak Florist 16-14 in 1975 in a monsoon on a last minute field goal was as miserable as I ever personally got from weather at the Valley.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Wow, this is one piece of Clemson football history I had

Apr 23, 2019, 9:14 PM

How could I forget. It was like taking a loooong shower in your clothes.

Apr 23, 2019, 9:57 PM

I was there. I think I was about 46 going on 100. Sitting in the same seat I've had since I got off the ark with Noah. A little black cloud came from the Southwest headed towards Pickens. Someone in Pickens turned on a strong fan and sent that cloud back towards Clemson> A short time before the half, the cloud returned to Clemson and the temperature dropped about 35 degrees. Them all hail came tumbling down. My seats are at Portal F/UF and I couldn't even go out that exit. I put my program over my head and went to the west end of the South stands. The hail was so thick and large it was hurting my hands holding the program over my head.

The stands were not sealed and water was coming down from the overhead stands. The rest rooms were the driest spots but they were filled to capacity. I was soaking wet so decided to go home. The field was covered with hail. The wind was blowing from the Northeast and hail was several inches deep at the wall on the South side of the stadium.

I had parked my car in front of Fike facing south. I had a Chevrolet with the small side windows on the front doors. I left the vent open because it was a warm day before the hail storm. When I opened the door, hail was all over the front seat and on the floorboard. I took my hands and raked out as much of the hail as I could. The seat was soaking wet but so was I. I drove home (about 2 miles), took off my wet clothes, had a warm shower, put on dry clothes and listened to the rest of the game on the radio. There was so much hail on the field the second half was delayed until most of the hail had melted.

We could literally say, we had a hail of a good time that day.

I'll add additional info about this hail storm one of these days.

Message was edited by: Joe21®

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 23, 2019, 10:08 PM

Was 15 at the time. Took shelter under the north stands. A couple of UGA fans had red felt hats that weren't color fast so the dye dripped down on them and a couple of folks huddled very close wearing white tops. Left when it stopped and drove home to G'ville. Was thoroughly soaked.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

the only good politician is a dead politician.

Yup ... quite a mess.***

Apr 23, 2019, 11:32 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 17
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic