Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
A word of advice on the ACCN
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 27
| visibility 6,057

A word of advice on the ACCN

Aug 18, 2019, 8:12 AM

If you are on the fence, waiting on your service provider to add the ACCN, you probably need to have a contingency plan in place very soon. If you're not savvy with all the technology, and I'm a good example, then you need to start soon if you plan to switch to streaming.

IMO there are a lot of moving parts to going to streaming, and it's not all that intuitive if you're not familiar with this concept. I worked in IT for over 40 years and stayed on the cutting/bleeding edge of technology for years, but now that I'm retired, it's hard to keep up. It took me several days to get everything switched over and tested to my liking. If were simple to just have a tech unplug one wire and plug in another, then no problem, but it is not that simple.

You need to consider internet bandwidth, a streaming device (like Roku, Firestick, etc), if you have a 4K TV and want the best picture in 4K, possibly something like I use (Google Chromecast) to cast from a PC/laptop or iphone/ipad to your TV, possibly several apps that you might need to download to your iphone/ipad and set everything up, and it takes time to test everything to ensure that you can view/record/etc whatever you want. You also need to review the channel lineup for each streaming service to ensure that all your family members are getting the channels they like to watch.

Bottom line - it takes a lot of steps to make it work, so just be prepared.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I just logged in to my Sling account and

Aug 18, 2019, 8:55 AM

clicked on cancel. Then I logged in to Hulu and clicked subscribe.

Very complicated indeed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The definition of awesome!

Re: I just logged in to my Sling account and

Aug 18, 2019, 9:54 AM

Haha I was thinking the same thing. Not hard at all, assuming you have internet and a smart or firestick type device which most people already do.

Aug 18, 2019, 10:19 AM

Got the fire going. Now what do I do with this stick?

You rub the sticks together first.

Aug 18, 2019, 2:10 PM

Then fire.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're asking another man what to do with your stick?

Aug 19, 2019, 10:22 AM [ in reply to Re: I just logged in to my Sling account and ]

By a fire?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

I'm using a Roku

Aug 18, 2019, 12:22 PM [ in reply to Re: I just logged in to my Sling account and ]

But smart TVs already have a Hulu app installed

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2019, 12:26 PM [ in reply to I just logged in to my Sling account and ]

That almost sounds like you already had a streaming service, and chose to go with a different streaming service, and possibly have no wife or kids to ensure they know how to use a totally different type of service. Am I close?

If I am, and there is more than ONE person in the family that needs to access the new service, then it might be a little different than plug-and-play.

I did add a new Google Mesh 3-pack system to boost my Wifi, but that's not part of the point I was suggesting. One of the t-netters suggested that and it works great for me, and resolved some of my Wifi issues, but it required a learning curve. I you don't have a large house, or hard to reach areas, then addressing Wifi concerns might not be an issue either.

My local utility company offers fiber optic

Aug 18, 2019, 12:39 PM

to which I subscribe. I do have a wife, but she wrings her hands over TV even less than I.

I ditched the Dish over a year ago. Picked up Sling and streamed with a Roku. It was simple and took hardly any time at all. Certainly no techie, but I'm not stupid and found the transition a cinch.

Recently dumped Sling for Hulu. Again, it was simple. Wish I had just started with Hulu from the beginning since I now have local channels.

Admittedly, I'm not worried about 4k or other-worldly sound quality. With my eyesight and hearing, 1080p and normal sound suit me fine. But then, I don't live a very complicated life, so there's not much hand wringing going on here.

Aug 18, 2019, 3:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I just logged in to my Sling account and ]

That almost sounds like you already had a streaming service, and chose to go with a different streaming service, and possibly have no wife or kids to ensure they know how to use a totally different type of service. Am I close?

If I am, and there is more than ONE person in the family that needs to access the new service, then it might be a little different than plug-and-play.

I did add a new Google Mesh 3-pack system to boost my Wifi, but that's not part of the point I was suggesting. One of the t-netters suggested that and it works great for me, and resolved some of my Wifi issues, but it required a learning curve. I you don't have a large house, or hard to reach areas, then addressing Wifi concerns might not be an issue either.

Get an Nvidia shield, you won’t need another steaming device for your tv...Ever

I upgraded my internet speed and signed up for Youtube

Aug 18, 2019, 12:47 PM [ in reply to I just logged in to my Sling account and ]

while I was on the phone arguing with DTv...I was up and running before the phonecall ended

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I upgraded my internet speed and signed up for Youtube

Aug 18, 2019, 2:08 PM

Yeah right ??

found another tech ####***

Aug 18, 2019, 3:31 PM

Aug 18, 2019, 10:32 PM [ in reply to I just logged in to my Sling account and ]

you know Sling has had ACCN for 3 years and will continue to have in the future.

accn+ is not the same as accn***

Aug 18, 2019, 11:29 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: A word of advice on the ACCN

Aug 18, 2019, 11:37 AM

If you are on the fence, waiting on your service provider to add the ACCN, you probably need to have a contingency plan in place very soon. If you're not savvy with all the technology, and I'm a good example, then you need to start soon if you plan to switch to streaming.

I think you mention some good tips here. I finished setting up a Roku Ultra and subscribing to YouTube TV 2 days ago. My first time dealing with a player (like Roku) and subscribing to one of the many services (such as Hulu, YouTube TV, etc).

Definitely a learning curve involved, plus, at least with Roku, you're setting up an account (free) with Roku to get your player or stick to work (done from your phone, laptop, pad, etc while following what's happening on your TV screen at the same time) - - then, you have to sign up for a streaming service which probably offers you a free trial, anywhere from 5 days to 30 days, & enter payment info in case you keep it or forget to cancel during free trial. Again, this is done from a cell, laptop, etc while watching what your TV screen says or tells you to do. Summary - you're following & performing tasks from a phone or computer screen WHILE you're performing tasks on the TV screen at the same time. Sometimes, in my case, it just didn't take my info (although correct) until the 2nd or 3rd attempt - even though I inputted info with no errors. Frustrating & confusing, but finally set up. Then tweaking ad content for available "free movies, shows, etc." Outside companies (entities, rogue outfits, hackers/partners, etc) can easily have access to your stream & clog your commercial breaks w/ads, sometimes causing a freeze that you can't get around. Your show, event or movie might stop for 1-4 ads, but then reset & show you 3 or 4 different ads, until it bogs down so much - you just quit and watch another program - especially if you're using a Google account or YouTube TV. Early on in the setup, you're asked to pick the kind of programs you're interested in. The more you check, the more ad categories they'll fight to insert that might appeal to you. Instead of checking numerous categories - I'd say just pick ONE - like Sports. In Settings, choose any option that "limits" ad content or might reduce access to your info - but it still might not get rid of the problem entirely.

The streaming services' ease of use & technology is changing constantly. I would compare it to an "infancy stage" right now, similar to the dial-up internet era, when we were all trying to learn what we could & could not do with that kind of internet access. In short, it's not very user-friendly to the novice trying to get comfortable with a fairly steep learning curve.

All the big streaming services have pros & cons, & some might not be available in you zip code. I went with YouTube TV because of the channel lineup & the unlimited cloud/library storage. I have it set up to record all ACCN football content - same with SEC-NET, Big 10, Pac-12, Big-12 - plus any & all NCAA/FBS games. I figure that way, I can watch about any game I'd ever want to - or erase them if I see I'd have no interest.

My time setting all this up was 3-4 hours - but - from an experience/knowledge standpoint I was starting at a "ground zero - complete novice" level.

Re: A word of advice on the ACCN^^^^^^

Aug 18, 2019, 11:43 AM

^^^^^^^
Except for the 1st paragraph in my "reply," I added all the rest - not "Orange Lightning" - so I'm not sure how that happened. Sorry.

Aug 18, 2019, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: A word of advice on the ACCN ]

"Your show, event or movie might stop for 1-4 ads, but then reset & show you 3 or 4 different ads, until it bogs down so much - you just quit and watch another program - especially if you're using a Google account or YouTube TV. "

I've noticed this too. Sometimes the show won't even start playing, but just keeps displaying more ads until finally I just quit. I've noticed that on several shows and is way more frequent than I care for. For now, I'll just ignore those programs. I do use a Google account and Youtube TV.

Overall, I am well-pleased with the new streaming service, but not sure I even need the Roku, as I just cast everything from my PC or phone to the 4K TV and it works great. I do have a separate Roku for a TV my wife watches, and that makes it easier for her I think, as it only require the one remote which has the Youtube TV app on the Roku menu screen.

Aug 18, 2019, 10:38 PM

never have had that problem with Sling.
But yes, YT TV has ads. Been there.

Aug 18, 2019, 12:16 PM

While you wait on your provider to get ACCN, you can get a free trial from streaming providers. Use one for the opener and cancel after the game. By the time we play on the ACCN again your provider may have added it, or use a different providers free trial. Wait them out.

You worked IT over 40 years ago? Must have been slow work***

Aug 18, 2019, 12:45 PM

Re: You worked IT over 40 years ago? Must have been slow work***

Aug 18, 2019, 1:06 PM

CLEMSON had an IBM-360 mainframe and we used punch cards. Yeah - pretty slow. We have more processing power, memory, and storage on our phones/tablets/PC's/etc now than that mainframe. You younguns have it made. :)

Aug 18, 2019, 12:46 PM

oh jeez, just buy any TV made in the last 2 years, give it your router password, and go.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 18, 2019, 1:09 PM

LOL - Balm, I'm like an ol' dog that goes round and round on a pillow until he gets it exactly the way he wants it, and then plops down. I keep fiddling with things until they work exactly like I want them to work, and then PLOP and enjoy. :)

Aug 18, 2019, 9:34 PM [ in reply to Re: A word of advice on the ACCN ]

Are ye daft man? Me tv 's only 17 years ol'. No more dan a few pixels out. Ya thin' I'm made of money?

You are making it sound way more complicated than it is!

Aug 18, 2019, 9:54 PM

I signed up with YouTube TV last year, took me about five minutes to have in running on my laptop. Now, IF you HAVE to watch on your TV and don't have a smart tv, don't have a Roku, Firestick or Chromecast, you may have to make a run to Best Buy or wherever.

Personally, if I'm watching by myself, I don't even bother turning the TV on. I like it on my laptop just fine!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Don't need the ACCN since

Aug 18, 2019, 9:58 PM

since I have Paul Finebomb during week and going to every freaking Clemson game home & away, til I die!

LOL

badge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonorlightbulbbill.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 19, 2019, 12:48 PM

Yeah....not complicated for me at all and I stream all my live TV - get all the ESPN channels on it and fully expect to see ACCN show up on it....all for $10 a month.

Replies: 27
| visibility 6,057
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic