Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Do you ever think about the Syracuse game in 2017
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

Do you ever think about the Syracuse game in 2017

Jul 16, 2019, 12:50 PM

And think what the heck happened? The team look flat out unprepared the week before a bye. Tons of penalties and mistakes. It looked as if the coaches took the week off. All is well now of course but I don’t think I’ve ever been angrier after a Clemson game.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wasn't Dabo distracted with building his new house ?

Jul 16, 2019, 12:56 PM

That's what I remember ... something about a drawbridge being backordered at Home Depot.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And his trip to Tuscaloosa the next day.

Jul 16, 2019, 2:00 PM

Not saying any of that had anything to do with it, but it wasn't a good look.

SYR's QB and WR had the game of their lives. And our backup QB was not the backup QB I would have put in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If you were angriest at that game, you obviously

Jul 16, 2019, 12:58 PM

did not attend the Orange Bowl against West Virginia or the 2004 home game against GaTech or the 2006 game against SCar when Bowden pulled Reggie Merriweather at the goal line.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

I've never been able to figure out what people are talking

Jul 16, 2019, 1:21 PM

about regarding Merriweather in that 2006 game. The final drive? If so he only carried the ball 3 times for 23 yards and he was never in the game anywhere close to the goal line. Spiller also had 4 carries for 29 yards which is very similar production to Merriweather. It's not like Reggie single-handedly carried the team down the field and then got pulled when we were trying to punch it in.

I guess everyone has a problem with James Davis coming in for the 1st and 10 at the 13, but he had also just picked up a 3rd and 3 to extend the drive and we all know he was a good back. It's not like we put a bum in at RB in a crucial situation. We just got stuffed 2 plays in a row and then Proctor made a horrible, horrible mistake taking a 10 yard sack to turn a chip shot FG into a 39 yarder with lots of pressure. I'm very critical of many things that coaching staff did, but i don't think this is one of them.

Re: I've never been able to figure out what people are talking

Jul 16, 2019, 1:42 PM

he was fresh and had some good carries just before as I recall. Seemed to be the hot hand when he was pulled.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I understand the sentiment

Jul 16, 2019, 1:51 PM

But I think its one of those situations where no matter what Bowden had done, if it didn't work, then the fans would've thought the other choice obvious.

Had he left Reggie in and it didn't work, then many fans would've been arguing "Why in the world didn't our premiere back who had average over 15 yards per carry get the ball?"

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I dont know. We ran 16 plays on that drive and Reggie

Jul 16, 2019, 1:53 PM [ in reply to Re: I've never been able to figure out what people are talking ]

carried the ball on the 1st, 2nd, and 11th plays. The rotation was basically Reggie > CJ > Reggie > JD

Jul 16, 2019, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Re: I've never been able to figure out what people are talking ]

I think he was also a senior too and he was willing the team to victory.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2019, 1:59 PM [ in reply to I've never been able to figure out what people are talking ]

I remember the crowd chanting his name on the final drive. I went back and looked though, and it was Spiller who had driven us down the field, but he probably needed a rest after several carries including a 23 yarder. Reggie had 2 carries on that drive, one for 3 yards, and his final carry was for 6 yards before Davis came in. I think most people assume that Reggie would've kept us moving on the drive, but we had done nothing on that drive but run the ball. I can only guess that perhaps they were stacking the box on the two carries by Davis that got stopped towards the end, but that's a guess without going back and looking.

I had forgotten before looking back that we had a 14 point lead in the 3rd quarter of that one. We let so many opportunities slip through our fingers in that one.

Re: If you were angriest at that game, you obviously

Jul 16, 2019, 3:36 PM [ in reply to If you were angriest at that game, you obviously ]

We went to the WVa OB AND the 2017 Cuse game. The OB game turned on our goal line fumble. We never recovered mentally. But we got CBV and 2 Nattys as a result. WVa still sucks.

At Cuse, KB was not even close to being ready physically. We got to the stadium early, sat behind our bench, and watched KB really struggle to even jog a straight line during warmups. He should never have started. Hunter Johnson could have won the game if he had been prepped properly to start (think Cliff Stoudt vs OU bowl). Poor QB coaching!

Finally, and I rarely criticize Dabo, but he said before the Cuse game that Fridays are not for college football which is true. But he didn't want to be there and the team took his que and played the same way.

2024 orange level membermilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Do you ever think about the Syracuse game in 2017

Jul 16, 2019, 1:09 PM

Zerrick Cooper at QB? I don't think about that season so much. We were between our outgoing dynasty QB and our incoming new dynasty QB.

Jul 16, 2019, 3:07 PM

ZC just looked bad and ill prepared that game when called on. I cant recall a well thought of guy looking so unimpressive. granted those around him werent lighting it up either though

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 16, 2019, 1:12 PM

KB getting hurt was a big loss. Our backup just couldn't get it done. Also, the '17 team just didn't have as many weapons as the '16 and '18 teams. 'Cuse just outplayed Clemson. And last year's game at DV proved that the '17 loss was not a fluke.

Jul 16, 2019, 2:09 PM

I'm not sure how much stock I put into your final statement. If I'm a Syracuse fan then I'd obviously be arguing that, but it's hard to figure how much they proved in playing us with the week of distraction with the QB situation, and then with Lawrence going down. At the end of the day we played most of the game with what had been our 3rd string QB, and we still came away with the win. Look at how Syracuse looked against ND when their starting QB went down just to compare.

I'm not trying to take anything away from Syracuse, but I think we beat them by 20+ if that game is played later in the season when Lawrence had a few starts under his belt and assuming he stayed healthy for the entire game.

Jul 16, 2019, 2:04 PM

If I remember correctly, that was the game where half the coaching staff was going to fly to Tuscaloosa afterward to be honored for winning a national championship when they were players at Alabama. I have always thought that this had something to do with the teams lack of preparation and execution. If the coaches are distracted in practice, the players pick up on it.

Playing Kelly Bryant when he was obviously hurt wasn't a good decision either, IMO.

Jul 16, 2019, 3:08 PM

hindsight is a wonderful thing and the coaches sure looked like behinds for that

Jul 16, 2019, 2:04 PM

I think it was the perfect storm of us being huge favorites, it being a Friday night on the road, our bye week coming up, our QB playing the game hurt and then leaving the game due to another injury, and Syracuse playing a great game.

I think it could be argued that we weren't fully prepared. Was that from our coaches not doing a proper job in getting our guys ready, or was it our players not locking into the plan that our coaches put out there? It was probably a combo of both combined with everything else I mentioned above. I think it shows that even our coaches are human, and really goes to show how special an unbeaten season is.

Jul 16, 2019, 3:03 PM

Best thing that happened was I got sick and couldn't attend the game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nope

Jul 16, 2019, 3:35 PM

Only think about it when other posters mention. Its like Finebaum and Coots and UGA.... I don't think about them. They only enter my mind when members or Crump decides to post about them... which of course is every waking hour of everyday.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nope

Jul 16, 2019, 3:37 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Re: Nope

Jul 16, 2019, 3:47 PM [ in reply to Nope ]

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Jul 16, 2019, 3:51 PM

Don't think about since I don't believe it changed the outcome of the season.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic