Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Here's where we stand on the Friday of Conference Tourney's
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 18
| visibility 1,938

Here's where we stand on the Friday of Conference Tourney's

Mar 15, 2019, 12:41 PM

Again, this is not a "we belong in the NCAAT post". It is merely a factual look at the numbers and where teams stack up as of this morning.

As of now, Clemson currently has a NET ranking of 35, and sit at 30 in KenPom. Here's how that compares to other "bubble" teams. All of these teams are projected either "last four byes, last four in, first four out, or next four out". The only exception is Seton Hall, who is projected above that. I will (*) those currently projected in by Lunardi.

Personally, I think it will be a travesty if Arizona St., St. John's (lost by 30 yesterday), Belmont, and Temple get in over Clemson. Not advocating for us... just looking at numbers.

NET of Bubble Teams:

32. Florida *
33. NCST *
35. CLEMSON
37. Texas
46. Belmont *
48. Lipscomb
49. Nebraska
50. TCU *
51. Temple *
52. Creighton
53. Indiana
55. Ohio St. *
58. Alabama
59. Seton Hall
63. Arizona St. *
70. Xavier
72. St. John's *

KenPom as of now:

28. Texas
29 Florida *
30.CLEMSON
32. NCST *
41. Nebraska
42. Indiana
45. Ohio St. *
48. TCU *
50. Creighton
52. Lipscomb
53. Belmont *
59. Seton Hall *
60. Alabama
61. Arizona St. *
65. Xavier
67. Temple *
79. St. John's *

Games Today of Interest:

Ohio St. vs. Michigan St.
Florida vs. LSU
Nebraska vs. Wisconsin
Xavier vs. Villanova
Alabama vs. Kentucky
Seton Hall vs. Marquette
Temple vs. Wichita St.
Arizona St. vs. Oregon

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Here's where we stand on the Friday of Conference Tourney's

Mar 15, 2019, 12:48 PM

No way that we are not in the top 8 of those teams in the committee's eyes. I would be okay with Zona St getting in even tho the Pac12 is down but TCU should not even be considered. Should be imo

Florida
Seton Hall
NCST
Clemson
Ohio St
Zona St
Temple
Indiana

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 15, 2019, 12:56 PM

It would be nice if we got in and maybe we will. If one or two close ones fell our way I think we would make it. My quandry is you have several (4 - I think) one possession games and manage to only win one of them. Inconsistent offensive and tendency to blow leads are troubling. Now if I were on the committee I might give them the nod even with that if it was a young team. The fact that most starters are 5th year folks makes less inclined to give them a shot. But then I'm not one the committee. Now that is looking at Clemson I know what a lot of other teams do and dont do will impact the selection.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Riddle this, please...

Mar 15, 2019, 1:22 PM

How is losing 5 games by a total of 7 points inconsistent? It's the opposite. And let's be real, two of those were 'prayer' shots...and another two that any intelligent viewer would go, 'Wow...that was/wasn't a foul?' For all the teeth-gnashing over selection, I'll submit the committee will actually give strong consideration to the Tiger's competitiveness. Will it be sufficient...I don't know, but if by competitiveness is a key attribute of a 'good team', then don't be surprised.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I tend to agree... but this is all speculation, really, b/c

Mar 15, 2019, 1:26 PM

of the new metrics.

If St. John's gets in the NCAAT, with a NET in the 70's and KenPom at 79, then all the talk about new metrics would have meant nothing...

72 in NET... and Lunardi projects them as a "last four bye's". Same with Arizona St. and Temple. Who knows what will be valued... but our numbers, based on NET, are fairly strong.

Re: I tend to agree... but this is all speculation, really, b/c

Mar 15, 2019, 5:18 PM

St Johns has 5 wins in Quad 1.
Clemson has 1.

true... but even with that their NET is horrible

Mar 15, 2019, 5:39 PM

that’s jut one metric

It's just this kind of confusion that makes me thankful

Mar 15, 2019, 6:30 PM

America still refuses to adopt that whole commie metric system nonsense.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

Exactly. Plus, these guys are battle tested

Mar 15, 2019, 1:41 PM [ in reply to Riddle this, please... ]

after being in the Sweet 16 last year. I know this isn't about last year, but one would think that our team is capable of providing some excitement in this year's tournament, even as a low seed.

Let's not forget that we are trending well. Finishing the ACC slate 8-4 over our last 12 shows a good upward trajectory after a slow start. This is in contrast to some of the other teams on the bubble, who have gone on significant losing streaks with poor play down the stretch.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Exactly. And also...

Mar 15, 2019, 2:12 PM

They will probably take into account that we are accomplishing all of this with no facilities, no money, and no fans.

Pretty remarkable if you ask me.

Re: Exactly. Plus, these guys are battle tested

Mar 15, 2019, 2:21 PM [ in reply to Exactly. Plus, these guys are battle tested ]

Yes - plus if they take into account how pitiful and biased ACC reffing - well - - as it actually is - and that it won’t be a factor in the dance - may play in our favor also!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Re: Exactly. Plus, these guys are battle tested

Mar 15, 2019, 5:22 PM [ in reply to Exactly. Plus, these guys are battle tested ]

8-4 over the last 12 in the ACC mean nothing when they are not over the top teams.

6 of the 8 wins were over VERY bad teams.
ins over Pitt X2, Wake, Tech, BC and Notre Dame are not impressive

The bottom line is Clemson had 11 chances against top teams (Q1) and lost 10 of the 11.
Clemson also had a chance to win one single game this week and erase all doubt and failed.
The at large discussion ends there for Clemson.

I think you're being obnoxious, Terrier

Mar 15, 2019, 5:45 PM

You need to hope your team shows up. Meanwhile, you're kicked back, sippin' a brew and repeatedly putting down any comment made supportive of Clemson. Why don't you chew on a Humble Pie doggie chew.

Here's the rub, you're tossing out metrics as though they're steeped in concrete. The whole idea was to move past 'eye test' and RPI and so forth. Then you're flipping around and somehow justifying how one conference can have multiple sub-.500 teams under consideration versus what has typically been the best conference around...the ACC, yet .500 won't cut it. As a result, the conference grew, but the number of entrants really didn't, since 'Cuse and L'ville came in just a few years ago. It doesn't add up.

Worst of all, by using metrics that don't cross conference lines, by default, conferences like Big 12 being considered stronger than the ACC, with no evidence to the contrary. Bottom line: you, nor I, nor anyone really knows until this Sunday. Only then will folks have a sense for the criteria really weighted.

Back to my scotch.

Mar 15, 2019, 1:42 PM

You are forgetting the most important statistic and one the committee won't overlook, on a head to head basis we are 1-4 against teams on your list. Only win - Lipscomb. Losses - NC St x2, Creighton, and Nebraska. I would say we have less than a 5% chance of going to the dance. Truth is we could not beat the teams we needed to and lost the majority of our games against average teams.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 15, 2019, 1:50 PM

Who told you that is the most important stat?

head to head only comes in if teams are basically equal...

Mar 15, 2019, 1:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Here's where we stand on the Friday of Conference Tourney's ]

I think we are ahead of Creighton, and Nebraska would have to win today to enter that conversation... IMO

Mar 15, 2019, 1:55 PM

it's not really even worth keeping track of IMO. if we make it, then it'll be undeserved and conference reputation based, but i'd take it. however, i'm not going to hold my breath that it'll happen.

Oh, look...voice of unreason. Hey, where there's a Will

Mar 15, 2019, 2:07 PM

There's a muck and mire program to Wade through. Go swim with the gators in the bayou...they're hungry!

Mar 15, 2019, 2:22 PM

Great analysis - Snowtown!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If people were as good as their obituary - and products were as good as advertised - this would truly be a wonderful world !!

Replies: 18
| visibility 1,938
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic