Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
IPTAY Survey - Forbes Article
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

IPTAY Survey - Forbes Article

Dec 9, 2018, 9:34 PM

A couple of weeks back, someone posted an article from Forbes detailing the most valuable college football programs in the country. If I remember correctly, Clemson did not even crack the the Top 25.

I would die for the school, I love it with all my heart, but what we have accomplished in terms of on field results over the last 10 years is nothing short of extraordinary. It is truly without precedent in the history of the school. We have been punching way above our weight and winning a few games along the way.

I took the IPTAY survey earlier this week. I, like others, was concerned about the number of questions dealing with "premium" seating options. Candidly, these are seats that I probably will never be purchasing. I just want the lower bowl (to include The Hill) filled to the brim with Clemson fans (students, alumni, fans, don't care who as long as they love our Tigers) for each and every home game - whatever it takes.

I also would like for Clemson to be a sustainable, profitable, program (i.e. crack the top 25 of most valuable) for many years to come. It could be that the these pending premium seating upgrades will help us make the program more profitable overall and, by extension, help it to continue to compete at a championship level.

I love this school, proud to call it my own. I pray (literally) that we don't lose our identity.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Value is “relative”

Dec 9, 2018, 9:42 PM

...and can be quantified in various ways.

To me...Clemson University is #1

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't understand your concern for "losing our identity"

Dec 9, 2018, 9:54 PM

You seem to be saying that offering more premium seating means that we will lose our identity (whatever that is). Am I correct? If so, what do you mean by that?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Making Death Valley the Most Intimidating Venue in the Sport

Dec 9, 2018, 10:00 PM

Everyone standing and yelling the whole game.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Fair enough. I don't think premium seats means we won't have

Dec 9, 2018, 10:04 PM

loud fans. Conversely, I don't think economy/non-premium seats means we will have loud fans.

Do you envision corporate types who don't care about the game showing up to wine and dine clients in premium seats and not cheering for the team? Meanwhile, blue collar joe who loves to yell and cheer can't afford a seat so he stays home?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I may very well be incorrect, but yes I am afraid

Dec 9, 2018, 10:10 PM

that is who they are targeting with these upgrades - who else can afford those prices? If it is you, please let me know what y'all do for a living - I need to switch careers ;)

I think that is precisely the concern of many...

Dec 9, 2018, 10:13 PM [ in reply to Fair enough. I don't think premium seats means we won't have ]

Truth is probably somewhere in between. I think the biggest concern is what are they going to do about donations levels and prices whenever we happen to have a few mediocre years. Right now our success means they can charge just about whatever they want and still fill 80% or more of the stadium every game. That won't be the case if they are trying to do that after a couple mediocre years. Even a place like Tennessee (which has a loyal fan base and at one point had a several year waiting list for season tickets) eventually gets where they have trouble selling 80% of the tickets. I expect us to have 10 win-plus seasons for the foreseeable future. However, eventually we will have a slump. When that happens we've got to have a plan for keeping people in seats or else we'll have a 15 year slump like Tennessee has been in.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can only tell you that the atmosphere

Dec 10, 2018, 11:09 AM [ in reply to Fair enough. I don't think premium seats means we won't have ]

In DV has changed in the 27yrs I have been going to games in memorial stadium.

The hand sitters grow every year.

If you ask me about "identity ", I would say Clemson is doing okay as long as Clemson memorial stadium does not become Metlife memorial stadium or TD bank LittleJohn.

When you start chasing money, you start giving up pieces of yourself.

Heck, I don't even like seeing ACC on the field/court.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: I can only tell you that the atmosphere

Dec 10, 2018, 12:05 PM

The atmosphere in D.V. was pathetic for the u.s.c. game. It actually crossed my mind was the lack of noise and ho-hum hill entrance going to hurt us with the recruits there. Make no mistake about it, a whole lot of average Joe's have been pushed out and replaced with hand sitters. The whole atmosphere at D.V. is changing and not for the better

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The value or price of anything can only truly be determined

Dec 9, 2018, 10:10 PM

At the time of sale, any price before hand is just a educated guess.

Re: IPTAY Survey - Forbes Article

Dec 9, 2018, 10:12 PM

I wish IPTAY would focus more on actually selling out the seats they do have, something they don't seem to be able to do anymore. Lots of empty seats for FSU last year and even for SCar this year. Not a good look on TV, to fans, and especially recruits.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Dec 10, 2018, 9:00 AM

Clemson sells out its season tickets each year, 57,000. The problem occurs with the 10,000 seats that must be reserved for USC every two years. Those 10,000 tickets cannot be sold as season tickets and must be sold as individual game tickets. Some home games do not attract many individual game buyers. Also, students do not claim and use all of the 10,000 tickets allotted to them.

Dec 10, 2018, 12:37 PM

BengalT said:

Clemson sells out its season tickets each year, 57,000. The problem occurs with the 10,000 seats that must be reserved for USC every two years. Those 10,000 tickets cannot be sold as season tickets and must be sold as individual game tickets. Some home games do not attract many individual game buyers. Also, students do not claim and use all of the 10,000 tickets allotted to them.

Clemson has plenty of single game tickets left for most games each season. That’s where the empty seat locations are. They raise the prices to try to match the secondary market and they never sell them out.

Dec 10, 2018, 11:10 AM

One of the things that has always amazed me is the number of children who attend our home games. The family atmosphere at Clemson has been a long time tradition. I have attended games at other schools where very few children were in attendance. It was a totally different experience. I hope Clemson never reaches the stage where the cost of attendance affects the "family atmosphere". The children are our future and we need to cultivate their interest in supporting both our academic and athletic programs.

I fear some of our future plans appear to make our facilities somewhat like we have in our homes. In that case, we might as well stay home in the comfort of our homes and watch the games on our 345" TVs. We can save travel time, traffic congestion, parking and enough money to afford that giant TV.

I have watched a few games from the Legislative section with all of the amenities and it was nothing like being in my regular seat yelling and screaming and high fiving. I felt like I waas sitting at home watching on TV

I attended and supported our basketball program from 1955 until the most recent renovation. I was in my seat through good times and bad, and most of the time it was bad. The seat equity plan was not worth the additional cost for me so I no longer attend the games nor do I watch the games on TV or listen to the games on radio. I know of others who have done the same thing. We could well reach the point when many of our fans say, "enough is enough".

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have 3 kids, no way I can afford 5 tickets

Dec 10, 2018, 11:22 AM

Through iptay.

I can only justify 2.

People don't like the Furman games, but those are the only ones I can get the rest of the family in.

I can still justify 2, but I will admit I have my limits. I will not pay more than $2000 a year to watch 7 football games..right now my 2 Top deck north seats cost about $1600, so I can absorb a couple more increases.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Dec 10, 2018, 11:56 AM

The tickets don't hold their value so season tickets become a loss leader, could not sell 2 SC tickets this year at face value, same as most games. The tailgate spot is why we keep buying, not the games. We could get better seats on the secondary market for less $$$ than face value for almost every game (NC State was the only one).

If the prices are going to go up, fewer and fewer true fans can afford the price of admission.

You want to see what the stadium will look like when only those with disposable income, look at the west zone during any game... no one in the seats...

Want to charge more for seats? Do more to make the game experience worth it. Some things are winners already, $2 hot dogs, water, etc are great ideas. Stadium seating would be great improvement, better big screen in the east end zone, improved entry now that they have implemented security...

and FILL THE HILL....

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

pricing “average joe” out of tickets is short sighted

Dec 10, 2018, 12:40 PM

If people can’t afford to take their kids, the next generation isn’t going to come to games, let alone pay the price.

Kids are already losing interest in sports.

Dec 10, 2018, 1:25 PM

You do realize how incredibly rare it is to be a school that profits off of football right? There are around 20 in all of college football. I still don't know if I'd call it profiting since athlete funds from football typically go to support other athletic programs.

The real money for schools comes from licensing and branding. Sure every school wants to their program to be running in the black, but I don't think that tells the whole story. It's hard to gage the value that a national championship for example brings to your school in terms of elevated profile, increased application numbers, better students, interest from potential faculty even.

At the end of the day, people tend to forget that college football start has and has always been a way for schools to get populist support from their local communities. The point of a university isn't a football team but teaching, research and service. Football is just a way for schools to retain their support at local and state levels.

I'd say we're doing pretty well right but I do question if the athletic department has forgotten this. Of course, if those boxes roped in a major donor, they'd probably be more than worth it to the school. It's an interesting trade off.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thought provoking post & replies +1

Dec 10, 2018, 1:26 PM

For me it comes down to age, money, and generational interest. As an ‘84 grad, I just don’t bring the yelling like in the old days, and my 19 yr old son who grew up attending 2-3 games per year chose to attend another school (not chicken u thank gawd). My 19 yr old enjoys college football, but not as much as Dad, and he is not a screamer. But you make a point, as the alums age and typically accumulate more funds to spend on seats, they are less inclined to stand and yell the whole game especially in meaningless games, and Clemson is so much more talented than most home opponents, it tough to be fired up when up 20 pts on a bad opponent in the 2nd Qtr. The cheering become more limited to the great plays and some cheerleader led cheers. The program is changing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For me it comes down to age, money, and generational interest. As an ‘84 grad, I just don’t bring the yelling like in the old days, and my 19 yr old son who grew up attending 2-3 games per year chose to attend another school (not chicken u thank gawd). My 19 yr old enjoys college football, but not as much as Dad, and he is not a screamer. But you make a point, as the alums age and typically accumulate more funds to spend on seats, they are less inclined to stand and yell the whole game especially in meaningless games, and Clemson is so much more talented than most home opponents, it tough to be fired up when up 20 pts on a bad opponent in the 2nd Qtr. The cheering become more limited to the great plays and some cheerleader led cheers. The program is changing.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic