Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Was having a conversation with a coach yesterday
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 15
| visibility 3,624

Was having a conversation with a coach yesterday

Jul 12, 2019, 11:20 AM

about when and how USuCk can get on the same level of success as Clemson. My answer was, not anytime soon, for one main reason. Recruiting.

But this isn't your normal, Clemson gets a lot of great kids and USuCk doesn't. It's how Clemson recruits vs the coots and I've seen this first hand.

If you have a great player, you're going to get a ton of visits from college recruiters including the coots and Clemson staff. If you don't have any kids who can play at that level, you will still get visits from college recruiters AND CLEMSON.

That's the difference. USuCk is only going to stop by campus if you have somebody they want or they believe you will have somebody soon.

Clemson stops by whether you will or not to keep that relationship.

Coach Pearman is the best at this. He will stop by and talk even though he knows you don't have anybody just to keep that relationship there.

That's why Clemson is next level in recruiting and the coots can't catch up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

I'd say that's ONE of the reasons why....***

Jul 12, 2019, 11:40 AM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: Was having a conversation with a coach yesterday

Jul 12, 2019, 11:41 AM

Thanks for "spilling the beans". ??

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 11:57 AM

Yes, hopefully people will point out all the stuff they are doing wrong and urge them to fix it.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

There is not enough bandwidth on the internet...

Jul 12, 2019, 12:00 PM

to point out everything they do wrong.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: There is not enough bandwidth on the internet...

Jul 12, 2019, 12:12 PM

One day, an old man was walking along a beach that was littered with thousands of starfish that had been washed ashore by the high tide. As he walked he came upon a young boy who was eagerly throwing the starfish back into the ocean, one by one.

Puzzled, the man looked at the boy and asked what he was doing. Without looking up from his task, the boy simply replied, “I’m saving these starfish, Sir”.

The old man chuckled aloud, “Son, there are thousands of starfish and only one of you. What difference can you make?”

The boy picked up a starfish, gently tossed it into the water and turning to the man, said, “I made a difference to that one!”

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

Re: If you start throwing

Jul 12, 2019, 1:38 PM

All the dumb coots flopping around back in the ocean you're just going to attract sharks and crabs. Pretty good end result I suppose.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

There is only so much time

Jul 12, 2019, 12:02 PM

there are about 470 high schools in SC. We took 3 players from SC last year out of 29.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it's bigger than that. Clemson has something USC

Jul 12, 2019, 12:11 PM

has never had, and never will have. A rural setting, and a family atmosphere. Students who are not athletes at all get this. It's a great school. Great town. Great environment. And we attract great players and students, and coaches. Over and over I hear recruits say there's something different about Clemson. And then you see former players like CJ Spiller, Tajh Boyd, etc. saying the same thing, even long after they've left. The place becomes home, plain and simple. Best way to describe it. In fact, for many it becomes BETTER than home.

NONE of this you can get at USC. It's in an urban area. It's setting is not nearly as quiet, peaceful, or friendly. It's in Columbia, and as someone from Columbia I can confirm that it's a drag. USC is a HUGE benefit to the city of Columbia, but the same does not apply in reverse. In Clemson the University is a compliment to the TOWN and the TOWN is a compliment to the university.

At the end of the day, it's people that matter, not facilities or places. Clemson attracts good people. Coaching matters as well because they are the people who shape the football program and the players, who are also people. Tommy Bowden never quite figured this out. His theory is Clemson is a great place, and if I can get nicer facilities, I'll get better recruits, better players, and win more games. A LOT of coaches fall into this mindset. Dabo doesn't. He came in thinking Clemson is great, and how can I make this place greater?

From day one, Dabo put his money where his mouth is. His first priority was recruiting and developing great COACHES at Clemson. That was his first step. He took a pay cut to get the coaches he wanted and to get them paid more. He earned their respect and loyalty. He built a staff, then a team, and then when that paid dividends THEN he built facilities and landed better and better recruits. To this day Dabo recruits the person as much or more than the player, and he's made VERY few bad pics. He is a good judge of character. He thinks different and acts different than most coaches. Everyone thought he was a joke. But in reality he's an innovator, and instead of an anomaly, he's a better example of a success. Dabo is the type of person who would be good at anything he does in life. Selling real estate or coaching, or whatever. He's a perfect fit for what Clemson has always had to offer, and the same applies in reverse.

On the flip side, Spurrier is probably the best coach and will end up with the best record, of any coach to coach at USC. His character and personality fit the school, and the city. Just as Dabo fits in at Clemson, Suprrier was a perfect fit for Columbia. And he took them to the top 10 and some amazing seasons, by their standards. But football in Columbia is a diversion and a social event more than a religion. It's always been an excuse for a party no matter how bad they play. And there's a crowd in urban areas (among fans) at all schools in urban areas that place an undue value on socializing and networking over the game. You have to make an investment to drive to Clemson. You go to watch a football game. Or at least I do. I tailgate, sure, but in 43 years I've never missed the Tigers running down the hill, and never left a game early (until I had kids anyway). Even then, we'd have to be way up and they'd have to have a real problem for me to leave. It's serious in Clemson. It's not a party or a networking opportunity. It's football, in its purest form. No distractions.

Recruiting is overrated. Sure it's important, but it's not nearly as important as the character and chemistry of the coaches and players, and the chemistry between the team and the university and the fans. We're all on the same page at Clemson now. And that's rare and that's what is needed for success. For a while USC and Spurrier were on the same page as well. Just very different books. What we have works for us. It won't work for Alabama or USC or almost anyone else. Just enjoy the ride. Recruiting will take care of itself. They appreciate honesty over salesmanship. They appreciate a Clemson offer because we will not just offer any player with good numbers. He has to be a good person too. Yes, we're different. Very different and in the best possible way.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

^^^THIS^^^

Jul 12, 2019, 12:17 PM

This person gets it. Very well written. +1

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I think it's bigger than that. Clemson has something USC

Jul 12, 2019, 12:28 PM [ in reply to I think it's bigger than that. Clemson has something USC ]

Great explanation. Couldn't agree more!

Jul 12, 2019, 1:25 PM [ in reply to I think it's bigger than that. Clemson has something USC ]

Thanks!

Jul 12, 2019, 3:23 PM [ in reply to I think it's bigger than that. Clemson has something USC ]

Well Tiggity. That was very well articulated. Insert applause here

I feel Muschamp biggest obstacle in recruiting going forward

Jul 12, 2019, 12:17 PM

Is the hiring of Coach Brown at UNC and to a lesser extent Coach Collins at GaTech. Say what you will about Coach Brown’s coaching skill but he can recruit, and with the decline in talent in South Carolina, North Caroline has become U5Cjr most important recruiting territory. UNC isn’t going to get the elite national level recruits in North Carolina but U5Cjr isn’t going to either, but the state has a very deep talent pool and Coach Brown is going to shut Muschamp out on the other high level players. GaTech is also going to hurt U5Cjjr recruiting in Georgia, Coach Collins is recruiting the state very hard and is out recruiting Muschamp. This leaves Muschamp in a difficult position because the gamecocks only has a 4 state recruiting footprint and with SC high school down and reduced production in North Carolina and Georgia, he’ll turn to the juco ranks.

That was the difference between Ford and Hatfield back in

Jul 12, 2019, 12:40 PM

the day. The coach at my HS said Ford's folks would drop by just for a visit - but they never saw Hatfield's folks unless they were interested in a player.

Building relationships and maintaining them is big. Big I tell you...

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 12, 2019, 12:46 PM

excellent thoughts by the OP and the others. If I'm a kid I just think about the HC's. When you compare the two its no contest. You'll be treated w respect but coached hard at Clemson. They seem to want the players to have a good experience. Mus and Saban seem to view players as means to an end for them.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 15
| visibility 3,624
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic