Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Perno in today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 75
| visibility 1

Perno in today

Jun 10, 2015, 9:15 AM

for his interview. The word is its down to 3...Perno, Szefc, and UVA associate head coach Kevin McMullen. Don't shot the messenger...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Perno in today

Jun 10, 2015, 9:17 AM

what word. lol

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2015, 9:19 AM

Yeah. What "word"? Truth of the matter is that none of are in the know with respect to the interviewing process. Drad even said yesterday that some of the candidates were currently in post-season play.

he said 'may still be participating'...

Jun 10, 2015, 9:23 AM

BASEBALL

Last week was a difficult one for all of the Clemson Family. There’s no adequate way to describe the legacy of Jack Leggett and his record of achievements, and I described the difficulty of my decision to make a change and the reasons for it last week in our announcement and meeting with the media. Now, we must move forward together, providing a new momentum and surrounding our baseball program with optimism.

As expected with such a nationally relevant program, we’ve already had tremendous interest from a number of coaches around the country. I’m grateful for the counsel and input of several former players and friends of Clemson, and I’ve met with our selection committee to set the parameters of the search and discuss initial candidates. This week, we’ll have an opportunity to meet with a few potential candidates, understanding some may still be participating in postseason play. While we won’t set a specific timetable for the announcement of a new coach, I will assure you we’ll work quickly and diligently, and we’ll take as long as it needs to identify the best choice to lead our program into the future.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2015, 9:24 AM [ in reply to Re: Perno in today ]

If its BS call me on it, but let it play out.

Jun 10, 2015, 9:28 AM

Perno would be a disaster. This guy drove the UGA program into the ground. He was sucessful until the new NCAA rules that reduced # of scholarships, etc. but not being able to build a powerhouse program at UGA with the talent in that state is not an upgrade to a HOF coach that has made the NCAA tourney 21 out of the last 22 years.

I smell scok!***

Jun 10, 2015, 10:03 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: I smell scok!***

Jun 10, 2015, 10:15 AM

You can smell whatever you like. Being a diehard baseball fan and visitor to this board since 99,I was just sharing what i know.

ZOOM!!

Jun 10, 2015, 10:20 AM

You asked "Baseball Tiger" to provide evidence and got a response from "ClemBaseballfan88" ... thus, the scok comment.

It wasn't directed to you.

If you are on here enough, you begin to realize those who are rational about the JL release vs. those who have a bitterness towards everyone who questions the move.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I was young, I was sure of many things; now there are only two things of which I am sure: one is, that I am a miserable sinner; and the other, that Christ is an all-sufficient Saviour. He is well-taught who learns these two lessons." -John Newton

Re: Concur. Jack's firing was one thing. If Perno is hired

Jun 10, 2015, 11:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Perno in today ]

anyone want to buy my season tickets? I don't care about all of his accolades when he took UGA to Omaha. I will never forgive or forget his behavior in the Athens regional when he showed us up after we lost in the regional final.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

For those who don't remember

Jun 10, 2015, 12:43 PM

http://onlineathens.com/stories/062904/dog_20040629029.shtml#.VXhnxflVhBc

"Down 6-4 in the Clemson half of the eighth inning, Perno went out on the top step of the dugout to argue what appeared to be balls and strikes with home plate umpire Jim Garman, who promptly ejected the coach. But Perno continued to argue, and before retreating to the clubhouse, grabbed a bucket of balls from the bench and hurled it onto the field on the first-base side."

Re: He also interrupted pitches, had repeated meetings

Jun 10, 2015, 2:24 PM

with his hitters, repeated chirping with the umpires to disrupt the flow of play....And.....the worst was him doing his post-game interview in front of the Clemson dugout in the midst of many of the Tiger players who had broken down and were consoling each other after the tough loss. Absolute total busher that doesn't deserve the time of day.

Jun 10, 2015, 10:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno in today ]

I wouldn't say taking 3 teams to Omaha and finishing second in the nation is exactly running the program into the ground.

Jun 11, 2015, 10:55 AM

Season Team Overall Conference Standing Postseason
Georgia Bulldogs (Southeastern Conference) (2002–2013)
2002 Georgia 32–29 15–15 3rd (East) NCAA Regional
2003 Georgia 29–26 10–20 5th (East)
2004 Georgia 45–23 19–11 1st (East) College World Series
2005 Georgia 30–25 12–17 5th (East)
2006 Georgia 47–23 18–12 2nd (East) College World Series
2007 Georgia 23–33 11–19 6th (East)
2008 Georgia 45–25–1 20–9–1 1st (East) College World Series Runner-up
2009 Georgia 38–22 15–15 3rd (East) NCAA Regional
2010 Georgia 16–37 5–23 6th (East)
2011 Georgia 33–32 16–14 4th (East) NCAA Regional
2012 Georgia 31–26 14–15 5th (East)
2013 Georgia 21–32 7–20 7th (East)
Georgia: 390–333–1 162–190–1
Total: 390–333–1
National champion Postseason invitational champion
Conference regular season champion Conference regular season and conference tournament champion
Division regular season champion Division regular season and conference tournament champion
Conference tournament champion

He was 124-127-1 in the SEC

well the UVA associate head coach does qualify under that***

Jun 11, 2015, 9:12 AM [ in reply to Re: Perno in today ]

Jun 10, 2015, 9:36 AM

OP smells of chicken ####.

null

Jun 10, 2015, 11:24 AM

You are absolutely worthless, you never contribute anything to a thread. I think you are the Coot, that's all you ever say! Tell em Coot!

Jun 10, 2015, 11:54 AM

null

If we are even talking to Perno's agent DRad should be fired

Jun 10, 2015, 9:44 AM

Perno shouldn't even get a call back much less an interview.

^^^^^^^^^^^This to the 10th power^^^^^^^^^^^^^^***

Jun 10, 2015, 9:46 AM

insidious move by drad, get the base worked up over perno

Jun 10, 2015, 9:48 AM [ in reply to If we are even talking to Perno's agent DRad should be fired ]

hire an assistant from charlottesville on the cheap.

drad, he's good.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The man is playing chess, while we play candy land

Jun 10, 2015, 9:57 AM

or something like that!

Re: The man is playing chess, while we play candy land

Jun 10, 2015, 10:00 AM

LOL

Jun 10, 2015, 10:00 AM [ in reply to The man is playing chess, while we play candy land ]

DRad had never played chess in his life. Smoke Laval, Colonial Life Arena, GT basketball and baseball, Clemson womens volleyball and basketball, and now Clemson baseball. He's gonna take the first yes he gets because no one credible is interested in this job. This isn't the first time Perno's name has surfaced and that they wouldn't squash that rumor tells you everything you need to know.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2015, 10:18 AM

"He's gonna take the first yes he gets because no one credible is interested in this job. "

You are so full of #### its not even funny.

What a pathetic drama queen cry baby you have turned into.

null

Jun 10, 2015, 12:20 PM

That's why we're interviewing someone out of the business two years without a whiff anywhere else.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 13, 2015, 9:40 PM

Yea we have no other people we are looking at you are right vivtiz....

null

Jun 11, 2015, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: The man is playing chess, while we play candy land ]

117 do you think this prick should get an interview? Or you just to busy calling him names and cussing him.

Thought you were going to be more friendly on here? I knew that wouldn't happen when you sent me the t-mail.

You have gotten worse instead of better and I can't believe you'd call someone a cry baby LOL hello pot

exactly. toying with your emotion, just wait till he starts

Jun 10, 2015, 10:01 AM [ in reply to The man is playing chess, while we play candy land ]

talking smack.

Re: insidious move by drad, get the base worked up over perno

Jun 13, 2015, 8:12 PM [ in reply to insidious move by drad, get the base worked up over perno ]

Who knows for absolutely sure that Sully has already said NO NO NO I don't have any interest in a job at Clemson right now....

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Let us hope and pray that isn't it.***

Jun 10, 2015, 9:53 AM

Jun 10, 2015, 9:59 AM

i do not think this is true. however did you realize Perno has more post season success than JL in half the time? Including going to the NC game. Most success in UGA baseball history.

Jun 10, 2015, 10:05 AM

won any world series'? That is the Standard for Jack

Jun 10, 2015, 10:17 AM

won one as a player and lead team to finals as the HC. If our focus is post season play and win championships he obviously knows how. watching him on espn he seems to fit the bill to represent the university and has the ability to connect with players and fans.

Jun 10, 2015, 10:51 AM [ in reply to Re: Perno in today ]

Did you realize that Georgia missed the NCAA tournament in 6 of the 12 years that Perno was head coach? Nah, didn't think so.

Did you realize that UGA has not been to Omaha since 2008, and missed the tournament completely in 3 of his last 4 years? Nah, didn't think so.

> i do not think this is true. however did you realize
> Perno has more post season success than JL in half
> the time? Including going to the NC game. Most
> success in UGA baseball history.

Jun 10, 2015, 10:58 AM

no doubt you are right. the facts are the facts. the point is uga has only been in post season play 10 times in the schools history. my point is he was part of 8 of the 10. uga support for baseball is not even close to our tradition. just think what he could do with a school that actually supported baseball after proving he can do it with one that does not.

Jun 10, 2015, 11:16 AM

while what you say is true, Perno had some major advantages at UGA he wouldn't have a Clemson. GA ranks in the top 3 nationally in the number of baseball prospects and those in-state recruits could benefit from the state's HOPE scholarship. That would make their education much less expensive given the limited number of athletic scholarships in baseball

Jun 10, 2015, 12:45 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno in today ]

Perno did beat the gamecocks in postseason play.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Jun 11, 2015, 3:22 PM

what's your point DH

Jun 11, 2015, 11:06 AM [ in reply to Re: Perno in today ]

124-127-1 in the SEC I think that says a lot. His success came when he first took over playing with someone else s recruits.

Hope that is false, but McMullen wouldn't be bad.***

Jun 10, 2015, 10:05 AM

I think McMullan is the best option....

Jun 10, 2015, 10:21 AM

besides Schlossnagle of all the mentioned candidates out there.

Re: I think McMullan is the best option....

Jun 13, 2015, 8:05 PM

Regardless of what anybody says he is or isn't, Momte Lee wouldn't be the worst of all mentioned. He has made C of C a tough out at a small school. And most coaches has allegiance to the school signing their pay check!!! Plus he has been away from the coot program for 7 years as a HC of his Alumni C of C. And lets not forget that Brad Scott was a coot HC right before he came to Clemson where he and his son loves Clemson. We want to win at Clemson in Baseball, and Lee could very well be our man to put us at the top. It want take him but a minute to see what a great place Clemson is over any place he has been.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I agree! Mac should have gotten the ECU job instead of Mazey

Jun 13, 2015, 11:25 PM [ in reply to I think McMullan is the best option.... ]

Great resume with some big league background. Done wonders at UVA. He`s a winner!

Jun 10, 2015, 10:23 AM

I don't doubt that Perno has been or will be interviewed. Perhaps he knows Radakovich from when Perno coached Georgia and DRad was at GT. BUT, if DRad is giving Perno serious consideration, he is an even bigger idiot than I thought. Both Perno and Hall (DRad's boy at GT) have been tremendous underachievers despite having their pick of the talent in Georgia. Perno spent one or two years trying to coach UGA pitchers because he couldn't hire a pitching coaching. This was a total disaster.

Not sold on Szefc yet either. He has had two good years at Maryland, WITH THE TALENT THAT BAKICH RECRUITED. Rumor is that he is personality challenged and would not get along well with anybody. (You think Jack was bad).

McMullen has a sterling record as an assistant at UVA. He has no head coaching experience, but if you want to gamble on an assistant, he would probably be a good one to give a shot.

> for his interview. The word is its down to 3...Perno,
> Szefc, and UVA associate head coach Kevin McMullen.
> Don't shot the messenger...

I agree with this.***

Jun 10, 2015, 10:28 AM

Jun 10, 2015, 10:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Perno in today ]

I agree with all points. McMullen would be my guy.

Jun 10, 2015, 10:31 AM

ok, please tell us why you would bring in an asst coach to replace a guy that has won 1500 games. please elaborate.

Jun 10, 2015, 10:40 AM

I'm not saying i would've fired him but that decision has been made. Point taken and i understand it might be hard to go that route. The easy route would be Perno. Fans would be pissed but he could handle that and has the experience. They would swing the bats for sure, the key would be finding a good pitching coach.

Jun 10, 2015, 10:45 AM

the easy route better have been that if you are going to fire a guy with that many wins you better have a stud replacement in your back pocket or you are going to look like a complete idiot to your fans and the nation. we will find out shortly the answer to that question.

Jun 10, 2015, 11:22 AM

Exactly. Perno is a non-starter and, frankly, can't fathom he would even be interviewed. The AD can't even begin to try and sell such a hire to Tiger Nation and would be beyond stunned if he were to try.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2015, 12:08 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno in today ]

> the easy route better have been that if you are going
> to fire a guy with that many wins you better have a
> stud replacement in your back pocket or you are going
> to look like a complete idiot to your fans and the
> nation. we will find out shortly the answer to that
> question.

DRoberts is on point!

"if you are going
> to fire a guy with that many wins you better have a
> stud replacement in your back pocket or you are going
> to look like a complete idiot

Im with Coach DERoberts on this one.

Jun 10, 2015, 4:31 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno in today ]

better have one in the pocket on this one.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Im with Coach DERoberts on this one.

Jun 10, 2015, 4:39 PM

sure agree!! if he did not just no excuse for that

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Im with Coach DERoberts on this one.

Jun 10, 2015, 8:47 PM

Would this be a step down from Jack?

Jun 10, 2015, 9:09 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno in today ]

Exactly if we are going for asst coaches why not promote our own

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Jun 10, 2015, 9:11 PM

I try to get a little Perno in every day . Sometimes company or time constraints keep me from it , but most days those old VHS tapes are peeling off the goodness.
Love the vintage Perno.

DB23

Jun 10, 2015, 9:20 PM

If we hire him I am making the tshirts !
Clemson Baseball : It's Hardcore Perno !

DB23

Re: Perno has a bunch of support

Jun 10, 2015, 12:12 PM

You may be surprised to know how much support Perno has from some former Clemson baseball and football players. He is the choice of at least one very influential football player and donor also.

Jun 10, 2015, 12:32 PM

I'd really love to know the names of those baseball players. We know it's not Mike Freeman because he left Georgia, and Perno, to come to Clemson, and Leggett.

> You may be surprised to know how much support Perno
> has from some former Clemson baseball and football
> players. He is the choice of at least one very
> influential football player and donor also.

Jun 10, 2015, 12:38 PM

Rather not put names out there but this isn't second hand info. I will say that they are mid to late 1980s players.. Baseball and football. Ironically players who played with mazey, those guys second choice.

Jun 10, 2015, 12:48 PM

That really makes no sense, especially since Perno didn't get the Georgia job until 2002. So, their knowledge of him, if any, doesn't come from playing against teams he coached. And, if they followed his career at Georgia, only 6 NCAA trips in 12 years, it still makes no sense.

As for the football player(s) who know even less about college baseball, why are their opinions of any value?

> Rather not put names out there but this isn't second
> hand info. I will say that they are mid to late 1980s
> players.. Baseball and football. Ironically players
> who played with mazey, those guys second choice.

Jun 10, 2015, 2:31 PM

I hear what you are saying. All I know is there is a group of former Clemson players who are all now in some level of coaching or broadcasting or whatever that think Perno is the right guy for the job and are lobbying for him to get it. I believe this goes back to playing days and friendships established at that time, they are all around the same age.

Jun 10, 2015, 2:47 PM

Okay then. I don't agree with several of the names being mentioned. But, I will concede that you can make a logical, credible argument for most of these guys. But, it is very hard, if not impossible, to make a logical, credible argument for Perno based on the facts. Mahony ought to know that. ;)

> I hear what you are saying. All I know is there is a
> group of former Clemson players who are all now in
> some level of coaching or broadcasting or whatever
> that think Perno is the right guy for the job and are
> lobbying for him to get it. I believe this goes back
> to playing days and friendships established at that
> time, they are all around the same age.

Jun 10, 2015, 3:24 PM

Not a Mahoney in the group that I know of. Out of the 2 Mahoney's I'm aware of one is to old and the other to young. Also I said one football player when actually a good number of them actually played football and baseball at Clemson , some more of one than the other. I just meant the one I know of with the most pull at CU only played football. I will throw one name out there that I will assume is in the perno camp and probably the root of the Clemson friendship ties, Chris Morocco is pernos 1st cousin and they played high school sports together.

Re: Welp, that just about seals it

Jun 10, 2015, 3:27 PM

HTH

Re: Welp, that just about seals it

Jun 10, 2015, 3:35 PM

I personally don't think he had a shot at all. Just saying that I know that his name isn't just being thrown around by message board posters.

Jun 10, 2015, 4:35 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno has a bunch of support ]

I will agree with you 110% on this...I want no part of Perno or, for that matter, any of the names I have heard today. If this is what it has come down to then yes, you should have just kept Jack.

Jun 10, 2015, 3:16 PM [ in reply to Re: Perno has a bunch of support ]

Then they aren't friends of Clemson baseball no matter what else they've done. It's completely absurd that this is still floating around half a day later. Word was sent out to squash the Mazey speculation almost instantly.

So our top 2 candidates are Perno and Mazey?

Jun 11, 2015, 10:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Perno has a bunch of support ]

####, we really are screwed...

2024 student level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 10, 2015, 12:38 PM

So....if he's so great, why is he no longer at UGA? Did he leave or was he fired? Seems I read his last few seasons there were not very good....some losing records. Is this really what we want?

I'm guessing the source is "TCI".

Re: Perno's a turd

Jun 10, 2015, 2:27 PM

I'm done wasting time and thought on that pr*ck. Shall we move on?

Yea he and Toman.....no way!***

Jun 10, 2015, 9:29 PM

Jun 11, 2015, 12:43 AM

Was Perno's termination at Georgia a result of decline in 2012 and 2013?

Jun 11, 2015, 9:40 AM

Sounds like a good hire....replace a guy fired for decline with a guy that was fired for decline. Not to mention the tirade he had when they played us that one time.

Jun 13, 2015, 11:55 PM

Perno is a buffoon

Replies: 75
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic