Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Dabo was the 7th highest paid CFB coach in 2018
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 20
| visibility 1

Dabo was the 7th highest paid CFB coach in 2018

Feb 5, 2019, 9:08 PM

10th highest paid college coach considering all sports. The football list includes the following:

1. Saban - $8.3M
2. Meyer - $7.6M
3. Harbaugh - $7.5M
4. Fisher - $7.5M
5. Malzahn - $6.7M
6. Smart - $6.6M
7. Swinney - $6.2M

https://thebestschools.org/magazine/highest-paid-college-coaches/

He won't complain, but he seems underpaid. I'm surprised with his success that his agent didn't put something in his contract with escalators or adjusters to keep him in the top 3 or 5 highest paid. Maybe the 2nd Natty triggers something in his contract that puts something like this into effect.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Dabo was the 7th highest paid CFB coach in 2018

Feb 5, 2019, 9:17 PM

I agree he needs to be in the top 2. However, if we factor in the cost of living here in South Carolina, his salary makes him the top paid. This area is really cheap to live compared to most areas.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Men at 25 play football. Men at 40 play tennis. Men at 60 play golf. Have you noticed as men get older their balls get smaller.

We make no where near the amount of money those other

Feb 5, 2019, 9:18 PM

schools make

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good point, I hadn't thought about that

Feb 6, 2019, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: Dabo was the 7th highest paid CFB coach in 2018 ]

However, the cost of living in SC is going up. We're no longer in the bottom tier, we're actually on par with places like Florida, Virginia and Pennsylvania.

Feb 5, 2019, 9:26 PM

Remember this is the man who had his scheduled raise distributed among his staff a couple of years ago. He clearly knows the value of money but isn't greedy about it.

Feb 6, 2019, 8:22 AM

^This

Time to bump the assistants, again! Well earned!

Lord, Auburn and Michigan are getting taken to the cleaners

Feb 5, 2019, 9:48 PM

and maybe Georgia too.

Re: Lord, Auburn and Michigan are getting taken to the cleaners

Feb 6, 2019, 8:15 AM

'A fool and his money will soon part.'

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Definitely not Georgia

Feb 6, 2019, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Lord, Auburn and Michigan are getting taken to the cleaners ]

Smart has done very well so far.

Feb 6, 2019, 4:43 AM

I know what you all mean, that in terms of talent and achievement, Dabo should be in the Top 2 (maybe even #1). But as has been pointed out, it appears that money isn't the number one priority for him. Besides, I'm sure he isn't struggling to pay the bills on £6m+ :)

Re: Dabo was the 7th highest paid CFB coach in 2018***

Feb 6, 2019, 6:46 AM

I don’t think you should be counting another man’s money. I also don’t think you should compare head coaches salaries as a way of justifying the strength of the Clemson program. We don’t need to look around at others for validation - those days are in the past so enjoy the ride and quit finding things to be offended for others about.

Appears you're the one taking offense

Feb 6, 2019, 7:18 AM

Calm down guy.

OP was just posting the stats and fostering a discussion.

Seems people tend to forget this is a DISCUSSION forum.

You have zero authority to dictate what other people want to post and discuss. If you don't like it, don't interact with it. You have that freedom.

Re: Appears you're the one taking offense

Feb 6, 2019, 8:05 AM

OP is using another man’s salary to measure the size of his own stick against other schools fans by saying “we have the highest paid coach!” Who cares anything about who the highest paid coach is and why is that a point of discussion? If money or the lack of it makes Dabo leave or BV or TE/SC it would be worth discussing. Leave monetary talk to the pros.

That's not what I got from the OP.

Feb 6, 2019, 8:20 AM

I suspected he was suggesting Dabo might deserve more. I addressed that in my post below in response to the OP.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: That's not what I got from the OP.

Feb 6, 2019, 8:45 AM

Yep but you can’t just compare money. You have to consider overall working environment. That’s why Auburn and others have to overpay. They have cancers in their administrations and unofficially in their athletic departments that make it unattractive to work there. If you factor in university environment with the AD and Prez it changes the value of a Clemson dollar versus another university.

I think Clemson's goal should be to...

Feb 6, 2019, 8:08 AM

pay Dabo what he asks and never attempt to pay him his true value. Only God can reward a man that much.

Feb 6, 2019, 8:09 AM

I hope he can squeak by.

There are 2 guys there that shouldn’t be anywhere near that

Feb 6, 2019, 8:39 AM

List:

Malzahn

Harbaugh.

The others you can make an argument for.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 6, 2019, 9:03 AM

Actually, I don't find that Malzahn's paycheck as out of reach... he has taken them to a Natty game (was the mind behind Scam) and is 2-4 against Saban.

But lets put that into perspective... he is the only current SEC coach to beat Saban. He is the only SEC coach other than Saban to win the SEC west in the last 8 years. So Saban's other losses to Freeze or Sumlin didn't matter, but Malzahns wins did.

Do you think that Tennessee would pay 3.35 million just for one win over Saban's Alabama? Yeah.

Heck Georgia is paying just as much for fewer wins over Saban.

Last I checked- we were the only team who gets trophies

Feb 6, 2019, 9:07 AM

And checks after we beat Bama.

Aubie is in the wrong side of the ROI equation here.

Re: Last I checked- we were the only team who gets trophies

Feb 6, 2019, 9:25 AM

Shrug.

Actually Malzahn did get trophies after beating bama... just not the natty. They just lost to crazy crablegs. They were the darkhorse for the CFP last year before jawja. They beat Washington... and there was optimism this year with them... and then the fell off the bus.

Now the real knock against Malzahn is this.... how the f*** do you lose to Tennessee?

Replies: 20
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic