Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I talked to several Alabama fans (and grads) today
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 22
| visibility 1

I talked to several Alabama fans (and grads) today

Jan 8, 2019, 11:25 PM

I'm in Nashville, TN this week for business - a buying show for my sporting goods store. I couldn't resist wearing my Clemson windbreaker when I went to the convention center this morning. I got comments all day long - every one congratulatory or another Tiger fan coming up to high five me.

I talked to five different Alabama fans. One has a daughter in school there and two were Bama grads. To a person, they were gracious and very complimentary of our team. Each one of them also made it a point to say they expect to play us again next year. Just that. Zero smack talk. Our chats quickly moved to football talk in general. Most of them knew our players and coaches and all spoke very highly of Dabo. We agreed that we like that fact that our teams have developed a rivalry and that we are enjoying it. Adult conversation with rivals who don't have to deal with a crushing inferiority complex was so refreshing.

That got me to thinking. Could we drop those ##### in Columbia from our schedule and add Alabama?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Saban wouldn't do a Home & Home

Jan 8, 2019, 11:28 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a good point.

Jan 8, 2019, 11:31 PM

His loss. Based on my experiences with Bama fans two years ago and today, they would love it.

So would I.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Excellence recognizes excellence. People used to winning

Jan 8, 2019, 11:32 PM

Usually have class. It’s the wannabes that don’t. I tipped my hat to them last year.

Most true Bama fans have class. It's the bandwagon Bama fan

Jan 9, 2019, 10:13 AM

and the BamaCocks that have none.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Great point!

Jan 9, 2019, 10:20 AM [ in reply to Excellence recognizes excellence. People used to winning ]

I live and work around Phoenix and I ALWAYS sport my CU gear. There is a salesman in our office that’s a Bama fan. Yesterday I had a University of Arizona fan ask if I had went and rubbed it in to the Bama fan’s face. I told him I didn’t need to do that, the Bama fan would eventually come around and eat his crow without me shoving it down his throat. I don’t think U of A has had enough success for their fans to not feel the need to rub wins in opponents faces.

Win with class, lose with class, live with class!

Re: Great point!

Jan 9, 2019, 10:21 AM

Success in football, that is... basketball is a whole different story!

My experiences with them have been positive as well.

Jan 9, 2019, 12:00 AM

I think you can tell there is a mutual respect between the programs, the coaches and the fans. Not sure if they would be as gracious if they won 44-16 because they would’ve probably called us posers or something like that. Anyway, I think they realize that both programs are legit and aren’t going away anytime soon.

I fully expect to play them next year and I look forward to it. It’s always a good game with no extra nonsense.

Bama fans in the airports today were the exact same way...

Jan 9, 2019, 12:20 AM

gracious and very complimentary.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

A rivalry born of respect and success is much different than

Jan 9, 2019, 9:25 AM

one borne of hate and resentment.

And, my experience with Bama grads and those traveling to playoff games has been they are great fans and easy to talk to.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I can easily believe Tide fans were gracious and mannerly.

Jan 9, 2019, 10:09 AM

But believing YOU were, however ...

I strive to be a good example for you, glasshoppuh***

Jan 9, 2019, 10:55 PM

Re: I talked to several Alabama fans (and grads) today

Jan 9, 2019, 11:03 PM

Had the same experience 2 yrs ago in Tampa! Bama fans were gracious in defeat..true southern belles n gentleman. Bama fans know what quality looks like and respect it when they see it...winners focus on greatness, losers focus on winners!

I appreciate good fans from other schools.

Jan 9, 2019, 11:04 PM

However, you couldn't melt and pour Saban on Clemson.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Thanks for sharing TS75

Jan 10, 2019, 12:18 AM

Glad to hear the Bama fans kept it classy - Clemson is really entering an elite fraternity. Thanks Dabo and coaches! And thanks Deshaun, Christian, team leaders and players from walk-ons to stars!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thanks for sharing TS75

Jan 10, 2019, 12:46 AM

SocMan2® said:

Glad to hear the Bama fans kept it classy - Clemson is really entering an elite fraternity. Thanks Dabo and coaches! And thanks Deshaun, Christian, team leaders and players from walk-ons to stars!

or in the case of Hunter Renfrow...both...walk-on, then star!!!

We would never meet in the Playoffs . . .

Jan 10, 2019, 12:33 AM

If we played each other during the regular season.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Bama fans have been low key in Bay Area

Jan 10, 2019, 12:48 AM

and in airports today going home. Think they are still stunned to be honest.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 10, 2019, 1:20 AM

I have been to all 4 Bama games and so have been on both ends of it. Nearly all have been polite in winning and losing. I still don't want to play them during the year though.

Jan 10, 2019, 1:34 AM

Similar experience here in Northern Virginia. The Bama fans in my office were classy and respectful. One of them congratulated me and complimented how Clemson played. Another, who usually has somewhat of a swag, didn't have the usual swag, and acknowledged they took a beating without making excuses or taking anything away from Clemson's performance. Even in the years they beat us, they've still been classy.

Outside of work, for the last several years, Bama fans have been all over this area, and "roll tide" has often been proudly and playfully directed my way when they see my apparel with the orange paw. Now that we've beaten them twice, and in such convincing fashion, I'll be curious to see if that happens as often.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes the road to the truth is so elusive it's confusing and reality becomes illusion.

Jan 10, 2019, 1:39 AM

“Roll Tigers” back at them as kindly as can

Why have the National Championship before the

Jan 10, 2019, 7:06 AM

National Championship?

I don't want to see us play them twice every year.

Jan 10, 2019, 9:10 AM

True Bama fans/alums "have been there" and know how to behave. As other posters have noted, Bama doesn't suffer from a huge inferiority complex like the sadsack fans from the school of Columbia.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Screw Calford.

Replies: 22
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic