Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Did my taxes last night, part 1.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 33
| visibility 522

Did my taxes last night, part 1.

Apr 11, 2019, 10:12 AM

That was a little more of a large cactus-in-the-ass than I thought it would be.

$5500 to federal, $1200 from state. No matter what expenses I entered, I didn't get higher than the standard deduction. Work from home? Doesn't matter. Bought a new laptop for work? Don't care.

I'm going to go through them again (prob several times) but what this means is that between my wife and me, we need to put back an ADDITIONAL $360/month just so we won't owe at the end of the year. Thats on top of having "0" deductions on my w4.

Wow...that $30/check I got back this year is really paying off.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

And its too late for you to cash in on that 2019 child tax

Apr 11, 2019, 10:14 AM

credit. Good news is you can knock her up and be eligible for it in 2020

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Somehow, I don't think that would help my financial

Apr 11, 2019, 10:15 AM

or mental situation AT ALL.

I guess I'll be getting a nice child credit next year

Apr 11, 2019, 10:26 AM

All of my laundry will still be in various piles across the house, and dishes stacked up to the ceiling until I blow a gasket over it...but Lakebum will be gettin' his trim tabs baby

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Gonna have to get a new GPS, too

Apr 11, 2019, 11:08 AM

those new maps KILL the perf of my 7610. Its like a 386 running Windows 10. Redraws are terrible, but the relief shading is pretty cool to see.

I wish I had room to flush mount a bigger display

Apr 11, 2019, 11:30 AM

As soon as my change of address goes through DNR and I can legally fish again, I'll probably be back to yearning for a bay boat.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best decision I've made regarding boats

Apr 11, 2019, 11:35 AM

Now I gotta get a newer, bigger GPS.

For fishing, I been looking at the Panoptix

Apr 11, 2019, 11:38 AM

LiveVu. Can't justify that though. I thot Lowrance, SIMRAD, and humminbird had a similar active fishfinder.

Anyway, ain't nothing wrong with the humminbird or lowrance maps as long as you got a navionics chip. Most people don't need to know where every dock on the lake is, but it do tell you that.

I'll never buy a lowrance again.

Apr 11, 2019, 11:40 AM

Navico, in general, but the Simrad is a bit better. I had a lowrance once...never again. it was a POS.

Did you see where Lowrances had some date glitch last weekend and blew up (like Y2k)? What a mess.

Nah, I didn't see it. I have more problems with my

Apr 11, 2019, 11:46 AM

humminbird than my Lowrance. Only problem with my Lowrance is it will power off after being on for about 5 hours (does it rarely). The hummer has more issues, but it still basically works.

Thats why I stick with Garmin

Apr 11, 2019, 12:05 PM

It just works. I mean up until this last map update, it just works.

I don't know that my deck boat is going anywhere with a kid

Apr 11, 2019, 11:41 AM [ in reply to Best decision I've made regarding boats ]

on the way, but I can buy a 10 year old bay boat and keep mine for a whole lot cheaper than I could buy a newer Ultra or Key West fs.

I'll never be able to buy a new boat again

Apr 11, 2019, 11:43 AM

Prices are completely out of control. I saw that at the last two boat shows I've been to. I'm not going into $100K+ of debt for a 23' boat.

I still think in a couple of years supply will be such that

Apr 11, 2019, 12:06 PM

they aren't commanding prices they are right now. I can't imagine it'll take much of a hiccup for these people with 15-20 year boat loans to start unloading them.

I guess

Apr 11, 2019, 12:07 PM

Or at least I hope. But then I'd be trying to unload a boat (paid for, but same principle).

I looked at this a couple of weeks ago

Apr 11, 2019, 12:25 PM

https://www.boatingatlanta.net/New-Inventory-2019-Hurricane-Boat-SD-2690-OB-6845033?ref=list

Figured it would at least get me into an outboard, and be a little bigger than what I've got now for a decent price. They're asking $100k. I ask if he realized I can get a World Cat or Pursuit for that kind of money, he just was just kind of like yeah I dunno we don't sell many of these. And it's got that stupid 350 with the flywheel problems.

Tax bill apparently disproportionately favors those

Apr 11, 2019, 10:37 AM

with child dependents. Wasn't sure if it penalized those without, or was mostly neutral. Your anecdotal evidence seems to point towards the former.

I don't know how it impacted me since I had enough new variables in the 2018 tax year to make it thoroughly confusing for a simpleton such as myself.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A lot of stuff changed.

Apr 11, 2019, 10:53 AM

I'm not getting deductions for any of the stuff I used to. And like I said above, this year I could up my 401K contributions because old..and I did. So I bring home about $800 less/month than last year. I don;t live any different than i did last years, and owe 5500 more than last year.

Doesn't make any sense to me. I'd think our national tax revenues would be higher.

Sounds like the government did their job

Apr 11, 2019, 11:01 AM

Take out all of the BS tax deductions that people were getting before to make people pay what they're supposed to. #closingloopholes

I doubt it affected those with the money to get around it

Apr 11, 2019, 11:08 AM

I have no proof on that, just my suspicions.

And ot wasn't exactly like I was bending the law

Apr 11, 2019, 11:11 AM

with adventurous deductions. Home office deduction (not much anyway), PART of internet, donations to good will, and deductions for expense of looking for a job--I usually have a few of those every year.

None of that this year.

And it still chaps my ### that I have to pay taxes on money I get BACK from them last year. That's money that I already paid taxes on, that they gave back to me. It wasn't additional income--it was just income.

LOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLOLUUUUUUTTTTZZZZ

Apr 11, 2019, 11:10 AM [ in reply to Sounds like the government did their job ]

"the government did their job"

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

#closingloopholes = #pluggingloopholes

Apr 11, 2019, 11:12 AM [ in reply to Sounds like the government did their job ]

= #butttpluggingloopholes

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Good thing your wife didn't close her loophole

Apr 11, 2019, 11:36 AM [ in reply to Sounds like the government did their job ]

or you wouldn't be benefiting from those child tax credits.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

S??? ????? ???? ??? ??????? ?????? ???? ??? ??????,
S??? ????? ?? ?? ???????? ???? ? ??????? ??? ????? ?????..

As a father of a 14, 9 and 2 year old

Apr 11, 2019, 10:56 AM [ in reply to Tax bill apparently disproportionately favors those ]

I want to thank you for everything you contributed. Between your return and mine, the government is still in the red

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

my tax adviser said to plan so that you can itemize

Apr 11, 2019, 11:11 AM

every other year....that is, save charitable contributions and to the extent possible other deductions and pool them every other year.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sounds like a good idea.

Apr 11, 2019, 11:13 AM

I've always used the goodwill stuff to help out, and clean my house out of the junk my wife brought home the year before.

Wonder if that works out better than itemizing every year?***

Apr 11, 2019, 11:36 AM [ in reply to my tax adviser said to plan so that you can itemize ]

itemizing this year didn't work out***

Apr 11, 2019, 11:40 AM

Probably because you need enough itemization in one tax year

Apr 11, 2019, 11:58 AM [ in reply to Wonder if that works out better than itemizing every year?*** ]

to be higher than the standard deduction. Itemizing every year for him is probably less than the standard

that is a great idea, didn't know it was possible***

Apr 11, 2019, 12:13 PM [ in reply to my tax adviser said to plan so that you can itemize ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-willmo.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Cat on a tin roof, dogs in a pile,
Nothin' left to do but smile, smile, smile!!!!

I used to do tithing 3X in one year, then off 2.

Apr 11, 2019, 6:21 PM

Then take standard for 2 years while taking itemization down to almost nothing.

So here's my tax story

Apr 11, 2019, 11:48 AM

My payroll taxes were reduced $300/mth. Not sure about my wife, but I'm sure she got at least $100/mth.

Last yr I had to scrounge to only payback at tax time, $1900.

This year, with no deductions, I owe $1750.

I'd say I came out way ahead in this situation.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2005_majors_champ.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-xtiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

At least someone got out ahead

Apr 11, 2019, 12:04 PM

this whole thing is the ########

Replies: 33
| visibility 522
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic