Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Why did Auburn abandon the Hurry up no huddle offense?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Why did Auburn abandon the Hurry up no huddle offense?

Nov 8, 2018, 3:35 PM

They were most dangerous when they ran play after play quickly. Now, the little I have seen them, they seem to have a much slower tempo. They will never beat UGA without the fast past offense.
So why did they change? Last year the ran UGA silly with HUNH offense.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Why did Auburn abandon the Hurry up no huddle offense?

Nov 8, 2018, 3:54 PM

The HUNH is dying. It worked for a bit, but conditioning has taken over college football now.

The usefulness of the HUNH was to offset and exploit weaknesses with traditional styles of college football play: big dudes blocking other big dudes while other big dudes run the ball, with a couple of fast wide receivers to stretch out the defense. Those old school run heavy offenses with big strong defenses could easily break the smaller players on HUNh teams, problem is, the HUNH teams move too fast for the old school style teams.

Not every kid fits that big strong physical mold, and with more and more kids trying to play football, the strategy had to adjust.

Thus, we saw the HUNH offense come to the forefront. It allowed teams to score and be proficient against the old school big boy teams by adding speed and finesse, something that was not prominent in college football until the early 2000s. It allowed kids who have smaller statures and lower strength plateaus play and be successful in D1. The HUNH to the 2000's was what the Triple Option was for so long.

The HUNH styles also gave athletic trainers a lot of insight into player conditioning, and now we are finding that conditioning is better than just speed, or just strength.

On top of that, powerhouse teams like Alabama and Oklahoma that used to be vulnerable to the HUNH have adapted to be more like the HUNH. So now, the other teams need a new strategy to stop them.

Thus, the new trend in college football is physical conditioning, and offensive balance, with a lot more emphasis on the dynamic QB.

I read an article recently that dissected different college football programs and what makes them successful, and they concluded that Dabo and his staff at Clemson have effectively invented a new style of college football offensive strategy that is taking the college football world by storm since its a mixture of HUNH speed, maximized conditioning, and old school hard nosed strength.

I still think hurry up is successful. 100 plays against bama as recently as January 2017

Nov 8, 2018, 3:59 PM

Was a huge difference in that game. Their D was spent.

Message was edited by: lovingit®

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I still think hurry up is successful. 100 plays against bama as recently as January 2017

Nov 8, 2018, 4:01 PM

I agree. We wore them out with 90+ plays.

Re: I still think hurry up is successful. 100 plays against bama as recently as January 2017

Nov 8, 2018, 5:15 PM [ in reply to I still think hurry up is successful. 100 plays against bama as recently as January 2017 ]

It absolutely is, but for "championship phase football", the HUNH alone is not enough.

Clemson uses a lot of HUNH schemes, and the high snap counts are a major factor in our success. But, we also emphasize strength and conditioning. We could get into a shootout with Oregon, and win. We could get into a battle int he trenches with Bama, and win.

Now look at Oregon in their heyday. The were a pure HUNH team, with almost zero emphasis on strength and conditioning. Purely speed. It was successful against lower tier opponents, but against strong teams with balanced offenses that could control the clock and strong, disciplined defenses, Oregon would get broken in half every single time. The reason just comes down to the way the players are built physically. Sure, speed is great, and deadly. But the result is a bunch of skinny, shrimpy players that get absolutely demolished by teams that are strong and well conditioned. This is why Oregon never lasted in championship games against teams outside the Pac 12.

Nov 8, 2018, 5:39 PM

Speaking of skinny players, look no farther than Miami...Richt has not improved over the Walmart Manager, simply because his players are universally pipestimmed... Watch when they run...the legs outrun their body...It looks hilarious to see a guy in open field with his legs doing a BOOGIDY-BOOGIDY....

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Because Gus' offense is run first and QB run heavy

Nov 8, 2018, 3:54 PM

he has a QB who doesn't fit what he's done historically. KB being entertained by AllBarn makes sense to me as he fits the mold of a Malzhan QB (think Nick Marshal, Cam Newton isn't comparable to anyone). Read option offense with a short, quick passing game.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

because they have Stidham...he can't run it.

Nov 8, 2018, 3:58 PM

Hes a drop back passer. Gotta have the personnel or it doesn't work.

Yep.***

Nov 8, 2018, 4:00 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: because they have Stidham...he can't run it.

Nov 8, 2018, 5:35 PM [ in reply to because they have Stidham...he can't run it. ]

because being in a hurry to lose 3yds didn’t make sense.

Re: Why did Auburn abandon the Hurry up no huddle offense?

Nov 8, 2018, 5:49 PM

Rules changes greatly hurt the hurry up.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic