Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I have what may be a dumb question: "off-the-record".
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 9
| visibility 1

I have what may be a dumb question: "off-the-record".

Jun 21, 2019, 12:06 PM

What is the gain for the person making comments "off-the-record"? I can understand why journalists would like to hear it, but I have trouble seeing what the provider of the information has to gain. Is it about garnering more trust or favor with journalists?

What kind of limits does it have? Can I say, "off the record, I killed that guy"? Extreme example, but is there a level at which the information is critical enough, so that the information should or must be shared with somebody by the journalist?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

yes, you pretty much got it:

Jun 21, 2019, 12:08 PM

that WAS a dumb question.

;)

i have no real response.

sometimes the off-the-record comments

Jun 21, 2019, 12:10 PM

help a journalist verify other information. Credible journalists have multiple sources for their information.

Example: NBC News reports that Trump cabinet member called Trump an idiot. Perhaps one source is willing to go on the record with such a hearsay statement. NBC may want to verify the statement with two other independent sources who may or may not want to go on the record but are willing to verify the accuracy of the other parties' statement.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-conservativealex.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yes, I can see how it helps the journalist...

Jun 21, 2019, 12:22 PM

What I'm trying to figure out is how it helps the person making the comments off-the-record, especially for a person in authority, like the President. What does the President get, that would make him want to make comments "off-the-record"? Why not just not say the information?

Re: Yes, I can see how it helps the journalist...

Jun 21, 2019, 12:26 PM

If you don't say off the record during a planned interview, you are consenting to being quoted.

If you don't give the reporter anything to feel special about, they may find that their best path is to do an "un-authorized" angle. Trump loves Fox because he sees them as allies. So he feeds them more than anyone else.

Politicians biggest enemies or friends could be "journalists." This is why large corporations bought all of them.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Yes, I can see how it helps the journalist...

Jun 21, 2019, 12:47 PM [ in reply to Yes, I can see how it helps the journalist... ]

Because they can give the info and still stay under the radar. They dont want be grilled by other journalists or others in the workplace etc. It's just a simple way. They can give info without having to deal with all the bull shyatt afterwards. It allows them to talk freely.

I like your question. From what I understand it

Jun 21, 2019, 12:13 PM

is about developing a mutually beneficial relationship between a person and a reporter. Reporter's know that sources are their lifeline, and the reportee (person being reported on) wants the cooperation of journalists as much as possible.

Off the record comments can provide context for a reporter to help their story without having to say "so-and-so said this." It's similar to someone saying "You didn't hear this from me." The same thing goes on in the intel business.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I think it’s basically that getting the info out will benefit the provider of

Jun 21, 2019, 12:34 PM

information or benefit their agenda, but being linked to the information will harm them.

null

Ah, so he says it "off-the-record", which spurs

Jun 21, 2019, 12:39 PM

the journalist to go fishing about that thing, get someone to say it on-the-record, and then it's reported, but it came from someone else, officially.

That makes sense.

Read the book Bad Blood.

Jun 21, 2019, 12:51 PM

It's written by a investigative reporter for the Wall Street Journal. As the story unfolds you will see the reasons why people may go on or not go on the record. It's a really good book as well.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 9
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic