Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
8 Vertical Shots Per Game Minimum!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

8 Vertical Shots Per Game Minimum!

Oct 8, 2018, 6:18 PM

With the success of our running game; we will see loaded boxes coming up! DC's will likely say; "make the freshman beat us by throwing it"! But, will stack the box.
I believe Elliott and Scott based a large part of what they do on Chad Morris's offense. In his vision of offensive football a team has to ensure they "make the defense wrong"! It's all based on numbers in the box or not.
Art Briles and Chip Kelly concept of "using the entire field and stretching the field" would work great for us i.m.o. You wouldn't just be able to stack the box b/c we take at least 8 go routes per game where we try "whoever on that particular play" that has the one on one. It scares DC's to death the vision of a bomb for a TD. They won't be able to play their safeties in the box and in fact, may have to play them deep. That opens up the running lanes more and the underneath passes Renfrow is so great at. Him and "hopefully a TE who can step up"!

What do you all think?

***Anything but 8 bubble screens a game***

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: 8 Vertical Shots Per Game Minimum!

Oct 8, 2018, 6:22 PM

as long as we are averaging 7 yards a pop on the ground, there is no good reason to stretch the field. and you really do not want to get behind the sticks unless you are in positive territory. That more than anything dictates the number of shots down field not some arbitrary number.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2018, 6:25 PM

Tigerbalm1® Oh yes there is! If they start "stacking the box with defenders to take away the run"! At Baylor many people knew about the vertical shots b/c they were more explosive or made the highlight reel. But, they use to be in the top 10 in rushing yards b/c defenses could not just load up to take away the run!

Oct 8, 2018, 6:28 PM

sure, it is a but of a chess match. we took the top off of Wake a couple of times and it was amazing how we starting opening big holes in the run game. we also get a tad conservative once we have a lead and this year we have been able to put teams away with a strong rushing attack. it seems to be our identity now. last year we could not put teams away because the offense could not stay on the field. I'll take a strong ground game over any thing else, every time.

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2018, 6:32 PM

I got ya. I just would rather dictate to a defense rather than wait! I want the opponent two games from now to know; "you better not keep the safeties crowded around the line of scrimmage or they will hit you over the top"! The scouting report wills something like this: " IDK what the heck we are going to do with these Tigers"! LOL!

Oct 8, 2018, 6:42 PM

I find it interesting that you cite Chad Morris offensive philosophy about making sure the defense is wrong in your critique of our prevalence of screen passes. Those are not specifically called screen passes. Instead, they are RPO's where the QB is responsible for making the best decision based upon how the defense is playing. The reason that we had so many, especially early in the game, was specifically because Lawrence is making the decision based on which play the defense is the least likely to be able to cover based on the way they are lined up.

I grow weary of screens when we use so many, but if you look at the way the defenders were playing, they were typically the smart play. Also, it's valid to look at each play in a vacuum as opposed to analyzing the playcalling of the whole game. Even though the early screens weren't as productive as we would have liked, they did serve the function of getting the secondary to play closer to the WR's, which directly led to the downfield passes opening up.

Also, I don't think it's entirely fair to judge a play call based on it's success in cases where a missed block or other missed assignment cause the play not to succeed. Regardless of how brilliant and perfectly timed a play call is, a missed block will usually prevent the play from being successful.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Should be invalid instead of valid in 2nd paragraph

Oct 8, 2018, 6:44 PM

nm

Oct 8, 2018, 6:48 PM [ in reply to Re: 8 Vertical Shots Per Game Minimum! ]

cornstock That's fair! And, I know what you mean on some of those screens. The outside WR must make a block or his WR buddy gets blown up. Or if he doesn't hold it long enough the play isn't as successful. I get that.
Basically saying what you did when you referenced the screen game. It brought the defenders closer to the box. Our run game will bring defenders closer to the line too! The antidote to that defensive ill is taking the lid off and making them respect you down field!
CU has recruited extremely well in the WR department particularly! Not many if any team has enough depth to just roll guys in to cover the speed we can present!
We the goal is 80 or more plays per game. 8 shots or 2 per qtr is not a lot for what you gain from hitting those or really "even if you miss" you gain!

Oct 8, 2018, 7:06 PM

I don't disagree with you about taking more downfield shots. I just think it's important that they are used in a timely manner to take advantage of the defense instead of just calling them just to do it. I think that we will likely be throwing deep passes much more often over the 2nd half of the season now that Lawrence is at QB.

Oct 8, 2018, 8:41 PM [ in reply to Re: 8 Vertical Shots Per Game Minimum! ]

part of the game is using a particular play to set up something else latter

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 8, 2018, 7:34 PM

Depends on what your box is loaded with , whether or not it needs a shot .

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

DB23

Oct 8, 2018, 9:55 PM

LOL…..hehe! Tigerdug23®!

I like to load the box,,,

Oct 8, 2018, 10:29 PM [ in reply to Re: 8 Vertical Shots Per Game Minimum! ]

and take a shot downfield at the same time. Just sayin', as LBB might say.

Oct 8, 2018, 9:15 PM

I dont understand what the coaches see with the screen. Either Elliot has a tattoo of a screen pass and calls them so he doesn't regret his decision, or just wants to challenge the offense

Oct 8, 2018, 10:00 PM

itxskrtt I'm picturing him calling plays in the booth checking the card; then checking his his tat, LOL!

But, as mentioned earlier, they can be very effective; but WR's have to block it well! If they don't it looks like garbage. WR's could no doubt use work on moving their feet on plays where they have to block. They may as well get use to it before going to the NFL where it could be the difference in starting or not. Or even making the league or not. Get blocking down a lot better Tiger WR group; you will be glad you did. B/C if we start executing the short stuff at a high level the instinct of the DB will be to over-play it eventually. At that point, you throw it vertical on some sort of double move or a fa-go!

what if...

Oct 9, 2018, 7:06 AM

we are up by 5 points with a 3rd and 1 and :20 seconds left but have only taken 7 vertical shots?

Oct 9, 2018, 8:15 AM

Not the bomb bomb down the sideline because Trevor hasn’t hit on that yet. I like the 15-25 yd rockets over the middle that we’ve seen to Ross and Higgins and let them run

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic