Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
What top 25 team returns the most starters?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 12
| visibility 1

What top 25 team returns the most starters?

Jul 9, 2019, 10:39 AM

I know our O is up there but our D has lost a ton of experience. Anybody know who returns the most?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

VT is returning 10 on offense

Jul 9, 2019, 10:40 AM

They were ranked 21 in a preseason FPI list

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Here's some fun stats

Jul 9, 2019, 11:08 AM

https://philsteele.com/2019/07/03/2019-experience-chart-pg-29-of-2019-college-magazine/

Why are our OL starts so low compared with everyone else's

Jul 9, 2019, 11:50 AM

we have a lot of returning starters on the OL

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I know almost everyone here hates Bill Connelly right now

Jul 9, 2019, 11:10 AM

but his returning production stat is very good. It's better than just returning starters because it also accounts for how productive those starters were. Losing a 1500 yard WR hurts a lot more than losing a 500 yard WR, etc.

https://www.sbnation.com/college-football/2019/1/31/18204093/2019-ncaa-football-returning-starters-experience

According to him the P5 team returning the most production, by far, is Tennessee. This is why many of the computer rankings have Tennessee in the top 25 right now.

What top 25 are you referring to? Do you mean a team that's likely to be ranked in the preseason AP or Coaches polls? If so the answer is probably LSU.

BTW this is also why most people that are into CFB analytics

Jul 9, 2019, 11:15 AM

think that Texas is being massively overrated going into 2019. They are 121st out of 130 teams in this same returning production stat and Tom Herman has yet to show that he's capable of getting his team to play well week in and week out. He excels in big games and struggles mightily against most other competition.

Is there really enough data to support that claim?

Jul 9, 2019, 11:39 AM

He lost their biggest game of the year last year by 12 points. They were 2-2 against ranked teams. Add in a close road loss to Oklahoma State. Maryland was the only head-scratcher of the season.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I'll see if I can find some of the data later but going back

Jul 9, 2019, 11:47 AM

to his time at Houston the difference in his performance ATS against ranked teams and unranked teams is pretty staggering.

I wouldn't say Maryland was the only outlier last year. They lost to a down OSU team and won 1 score games against Tulsa, K ST, Baylor, TTU, and Kansas.

So you're incorporating point differential and spreads into

Jul 9, 2019, 12:12 PM

his performance as opposed to just W/L? That "down OSU team" went 3-1 against ranked teams last year. Oklahoma was really lucky to beat OSU at home.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

I think we are about to go around in circles arguing

Jul 9, 2019, 12:36 PM

semantics, but yes i am.

No, I'm not arguing anything, just trying to figure out

Jul 9, 2019, 12:46 PM

what you meant and now I understand you are evaluating the coach based on wins/losses against the spread as opposed to just wins/losses.

More that playing down to lesser competition by allowing

Jul 9, 2019, 12:55 PM

them to hang around in close games inevitably leads to losses such as Maryland. It's not a "fluke" to lose a game like that when you play in 5 or 6 such contests. I just feel that if Herman is going to take Texas to that next level he has to get them playing more consistent football week in and week out and not just outperforming expectations in the big games.

And I agree with everything except the last part because

Jul 9, 2019, 1:02 PM

I haven't seen where he is over-performing in big games. He certainly didn't do it last year.

Replies: 12
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic