Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Georgia vs. Notre Dame - Great Timing!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

Georgia vs. Notre Dame - Great Timing!

Aug 5, 2019, 9:26 PM

After all the discussion of how ND should not have been there - I think this will be awesome for college football! The Dawgs will see that ND is no joke and they aren't Clemson!
Brian Kelly will have them boys so gassed up on: "they don't respect you juice"!

Early season too! Hmmm! They won't be Mercer.State.Tech.Poly like most of the SEC-ond teams play out of conference. So, give them credit for that.

Clemson schedules the so called best O.O.C - Auburn, Texas A&M, Georgia and an annual meeting with SEC-ond member u of sux.

ND and Georgia have veteran QB's returning. But, I see ND having more sense of urgency to win this game than Georgia will have. Georgia will have that "all we have to do is show up attitude and get beat"!

Glad they are playing either way. The ND fans are sick of hearing how a 2 loss Georgia team should have been in the playoffs over an undefeated ND team. And Georgia is mad b/c they felt like they lost their bowl game to Texas b/c they ( in a baby wimpy voice with a poked out lip ) "should have been in the college woot-wall way-offs"! Cry. Cry. Cry. So sick of that nonsense!
Besides our game with GT; this game can't happen soon enough!

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

In Athens? Gimme Georgia by 14.***

Aug 5, 2019, 9:27 PM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: In Athens? Gimme Georgia by 14.***

Aug 5, 2019, 9:36 PM

Wow - gtriple! If I was a betting man I would take your money. ND is big on the DL/OL. Georgia relies on mashing you with that enormous OL then on occasion when you have dropped safeties to the box, they want to play action pass you for big plays. ND at least have the OL/DL to play with them most teams don't have. Georgia may win; but I don't see 14 points. Maybe 3. 24-21.

Nah. ND has very little hope

Aug 6, 2019, 8:02 AM

UGA is better at every equivalent and opposing position. Fromm is far better than Book. ND is a poor man’s UGA and it’ll show early in the season as UGA runs roughshod over the Irish.

Snowflake Basher........Out

Re: Nah. ND has very little hope

Aug 6, 2019, 2:43 PM

I would take a close game, slightly favoring Georgia but then again, Georgia. So my money (2 cents) is on the Irish.

my thinking:
First- Never underestimate Georgia under-performing.
Second- ND always travels well, extremely well. Brian Kelly tends to be a better early season coach and very good at prepping for road environments. ND's defense is legitimately very good, meanwhile Georgia is a bit unknown. Bet on Defense early in the season.
Third: ND has a decent starting group coming back and since it is early in the season, ND's biggest issue (depth) should be less glaring.

Re: Nah. ND has very little hope

Aug 6, 2019, 6:29 PM [ in reply to Nah. ND has very little hope ]

I disagree. Now, admittedly, I don't know who Notre Dame is returning, though I think it's like 14 or 15 guys. But Notre Dame was flat out better than UGA last year. I strongly believe they had the best secondary in the country last year, and even Trevor had some issues passing before their top guy was knocked out of the game. They also had a top 5 defensive line and an elite offensive line. UGA meanwhile played four tough games, lost three of them, and two of those by blowouts. They were soft up front, as Texas showed when it completely manhandled them in the trenches. Notre Dame is really big and nasty up front with an elite defensive line, and if UGA's lines are still soft, they could have serious issues running on them.

I also don't know that Fromm is significantly better than Book. Fromm gets some fantastic stats against terrible opponents (why was he left in so long against Vandy and Austin Peay?) However, he really struggles against good defenses. Against his ranked competition last year, he averaged 61% completions for 194 yards, 1.9 touchdowns, and .7 interceptions. That doesn't seem like an elite QB to me. Book averaged 64% completions for 251 yards, 2 touchdowns, and .5 interceptions, and that was getting dragged down dramatically by Clemson. Also not unbelievable (compared to Trevor, Haskins, Murray, Grier, and Herbert), but better in every stat.

I think UGA will probably win this year, given they've designed their entire program to making a run this season. But you're just wrong about a lot of that.

Don't get your hopes up....***

Aug 5, 2019, 9:28 PM

Re: Georgia vs. Notre Dame - Great Timing!

Aug 5, 2019, 9:51 PM

I've repeatedly said that ND would probably have beaten Bama, and I fully expect them to beat UGA. UGA will be favored, and if you want to win a few GA farms, then put your bets down with those mangy dawgs.

We play Charlotte early in the day, I hope to go to both.

Aug 5, 2019, 10:49 PM

ND will beat UGA. ND was the best team we played last year. Last year, we had the best DL in the sport. This year, ND has the best DL in the sport.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"A life is not important except in the impact it has on other lives." - Jackie Robinson

Re: We play Charlotte early in the day, I hope to go to both.

Aug 5, 2019, 11:13 PM

https://irish.nbcsports.com/2019/04/30/where-notre-dame-was-is-defensive-line-3/

Sounds like they have a bevy of NFL caliber DE's. Not as solid up the middle; which would be a concern vs. Georgia.
I see Georgia missing some of the players that left more than they know though.

Biggest thing will be their arrogance will catch up to them!

I just think Coach Smart will find away to Kirbie the game

Aug 6, 2019, 1:49 AM

Up, and I know UGA & SEC fans don’t want to admit it but this is their biggest regular season game. If UGA losses their only hope for the CFP is to win the SEC, because no matter how much ESPN & PF whine a 11-2 UGA is going back to the Sugar.

To me Samford Stadium just isn’t that loud for a crowd that size, the noise level isn’t close to Clemson, nor is it as loud as FSU, Auburn, or the swamp. I can never remember a game in person or on TV that the opposing QB had trouble with crowd noise. Then there is the Kirby factor, I just see him Kirbing the game up for UGA.

Inbred Dogs 27
Green Midgets 31

I like the thought

Aug 6, 2019, 7:04 AM

I worry that ND won’t be able to score enough points to top UGA. They really struggled against our defense with size and speed and UGA has a lot of the same. Book certainly didn’t look very good as a passer if it was more than 5-10 yds downfield and that was in as close to a home game as you can get in a neutral site (at least that’s how it appeared on TV).

However, I think ND’s defense matches up well. UGA lost all of their receiving production from last year and have unknowns replacing them. There is talent but nothing proven at the collegiate level yet. ND should be fairly stout against the run which is obviously what UGA tries to beat you over the head with.

I see this one being pretty low-scoring. Would probably still pick UGA to win at home but wouldn’t be shocked if ND won with a four leaf clover up their butts.

Re: I like the thought

Aug 6, 2019, 11:30 AM

Book was under a lot of pressure the entire game. UGA was near the bottom of the NCAA last year in pressuring the QB. Book going to have more time than he did last year to get passes off. I will say it's a lot closer than many think it is. I'm not a betting man but even if I was I wouldn't be betting on this game. I think ND is very capable of knocking them off and they'll have incentive to prove they belong.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

UGA is a 10-11 pt favorite in that game.

Aug 6, 2019, 7:38 AM

I don't believe it will be close.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

Aug 6, 2019, 7:58 AM

Idk what each team lost or gained but last year ND was a significantly better team. I honestly think ND could have beat bama and could have been the true #2 team last year. If that defense is still intact they may just smother UGA.

Georgia Wins by 10. I will be very surprised if ND takes

Aug 6, 2019, 8:13 AM

a win out of Athens.

I think Notre Dame loses too much on defense and they

Aug 6, 2019, 8:20 AM

haven't recruited quite well enough to just plug and play and reload. We saw that first hand in our game against them when they had an injury or two (most notably Julian Love). There was just too much drop off there.

Re: I think Notre Dame loses too much on defense and they

Aug 6, 2019, 8:35 AM

haven't recruited quite well enough to just plug and play and reload. We saw that first hand in our game against them when they had an injury or two (most notably Julian Love). There was just too much drop off there.

I do not think Notre Dame stays within 2 touchdowns at UGA.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

What a post!!

Aug 6, 2019, 9:19 AM

LOL!!

Nothing in Brian Kelly's tenure at Notre Dame has me

Aug 6, 2019, 9:56 AM

believing he will go into Athens and beat UGA. Brian Kelly's record at Notre Dame against top 10 teams is abysmal... Kelly's Notre Dame squads are 3-7 against top 10 teams with 2 of those 3 wins coming in 2012 (the year Alabama spanked Notre Dame in the national championship). Their only other top 10 win in the last 10 years was last year against an over-ranked Stanford team (ranked 7 at the time of the game but un-ranked by the end of the season).

Until the modern era Notre Dame establishes a record of competeing and beating top tier teams, I have no confidence that the Irish are going to waltz into Athens and beat the leg humpers. Gimme UGA by at least a TD...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Nothing in Brian Kelly's tenure at Notre Dame has me

Aug 6, 2019, 11:24 AM

Well said. I actually think ND is going to get thumped on the road at UGA and Michigan.

This is a home game for UGa...

Aug 6, 2019, 10:48 AM

As much as I loathe Brian Kelly and Notre Dame, I will be pulling for them to beat the leg humping hydrant chasers.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Aug 6, 2019, 11:01 AM

As much as Kirby will "Kirby up" a game vs Bama, you gotta factor in how much BK can "Kelly up" a game too. I think UGA takes them by 2 possessions....10 to 14 but would be entertaining if I'm wrong.

Aug 6, 2019, 1:41 PM

It's great you're so excited about Notre Dame but you'd better start preparing yourself for the fact that the Dawgs win this one by double digits.

YEAH, just like those double digit leads they had over...

Aug 6, 2019, 8:02 PM

...Bammer the last two seasons!!!

BWAAAAAAA!!!!!!!!!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2019, 3:14 PM

Over hyped vs Under performing.

I'll be cheering for the over hyped in this one, but I don't have my hopes up.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aug 6, 2019, 3:21 PM

which is which?

Aug 6, 2019, 4:58 PM

RHT - Don't think there is a true Dawg fan that thinks ND will be a joke. Sure there are some idiots and even more trolls but no one that is sincere about discussing college football could carry on with that discussion.

How do you you know who the Georgia team and coaching staff don't respect? I am sure both teams will be ready to play - especially since we went into South Bend two years ago with a true freshman QB and beat them in their house. They will be focused, prayed up, and ready to play.

Since you brought it up, lets talk about schedules. OOC and Conference games ... because the full piece of the pie is what actually matters in real life. Both Georgia and Clemson play a ranked OOC game. Georgia plays #9 Notre Dame and Clemson plays #11 TA&M - which Georgia plays also. (Coach's preseason poll). Georgia also plays #8 Florida and #16 Auburn. Clemson's next highest rank team they play is #22 Syracuse. Yes, that's four teams ranked higher than Clemson's second highest ranked team ... since we are discussing SOS ... a can you opened.

I hate to say it but you just may be a bit naive if you think any player or coach for Georgia thinks they only have a "show up attitude". I really don't think you mean that but it sure makes good rhetoric. Like I said above there are some fools and trolls ... we all have them. (With that being said, are "Bulldog" and "AFDog" really Dawg fans? I have my doubts.)

There were some that thought Georgia could have made the playoffs last season but really - I can live with LSU loss but we could not close the SECCG ... then the brain fart against Texas sure took care of any doubt. I read more of that junk here on TigerNet (of which I am a long term and "non-trolling" member ... as I support Clemson despite being a lifetime Georgia fan.)

The public will know exactly what Georgia is made up of by mid-season while it will take until the first round of the play-offs to know exactly the same thing about Clemson. (By the way I predict Clemson will make the NC game and with no changes throughout the season and will have a very good change of repeating ... but we all know it's a long season.)

I have tried to stay focused on the points in your original post ... the only liberty I have taken to talked about the compete SOS picture rather than just the OOC schedule ...

To read so much on TigerNet of Georgia being irrelevant (Yes, that exact word has been used from time to time) but I sure do read a good bit about them.

Aug 6, 2019, 5:54 PM

"The only liberty I have taken..."? They're not going to like you here. Accept it now and just call it like you see it.

Aug 6, 2019, 7:15 PM [ in reply to Re: Georgia vs. Notre Dame - Great Timing! ]

Citadeldawg84 - the thing is I don't know they don't respect ND. If I didn't have it in my post, here goes: "the track record and some of the post game comments after a loss of some notable SEC teams suggest" they show up "over-confident"!
Hopefully that is better!
All we have heard since the NCG is 101 excuses to why the SEC thumper got "THUMPED"! That's just arrogance.
So, yeah, I was speaking in broad terms based in some quotes YOU can google. From Coaches and players! Me and many people on here come across SEC-ond conference fans(no, not a fan of that school but of the conference) and they have similar excuses.
Either they lying or they are true! Either way - pathetic!
They will(Georgia) lose more games they probably shouldn't with that mindset. Being focused is part of the game. Playing in the rain for example - or the snow - or the heat - might be a distraction to a bad football team. The good ones figure out a way to channel enough energy toward focus in order to get the job done. Playing w/o key contributors, also part of football. Injuries are a big part of football.

I like you CD84 - have my opinion. My opinion is ND was better than Georgia last year! If they played 5 times I think ND would easily win 3 of 5.
Georgia between the hedges when it's still hot; will probably give them enough to push past the Irish. But, somehow, I think ND gets it done.
They have what the experts call the best DE's in the country X4. Which means Fromm won't have all day to throw it. They have kept big bodies on their roster to stuff the run and was really good at stopping it last year! I don't see that changing! 6 starters back on defense including their best LB and CB. And those DE's that multiple(athlon, SN) called the best around. They have recruited well on defense. Not as well on offense at skill positions. OL yes. Georgia had trouble getting to the QB l.y. which is what I said on TNET multiple times BEFORE THE NCG would be what killed Bama. Georgia would have had the same problem w/us last year BTW.
ND has big bodies to stuff GEorgia and elite DE's and will give Fromm fits.
This game will come down to how or if ND can move it against Georgia.

And, for the record. I don't care about Georgia!
I just think as I stated - it's good they are playing this season and playing early. The best thing for the rest of college football would be for ND to go "TO ATHENS And Win!"

It would at least slow down some of the propaganda and rhetoric about how elite the SEC is. When it is not.
Georgia is good.
Alabama is good.
LSU might be the best in the SEC-ond!
Florida - if they can find some offense is good.
Texas A&M is good.

But, don't sell me on Tennessee or U of sux being good just because they wear an SEC patch on their jersey!

Aug 6, 2019, 7:57 PM

Citadeldawg84 - the thing is I don't know they don't respect ND. If I didn't have it in my post, here goes: "the track record and some of the post game comments after a loss of some notable SEC teams suggest" they show up "over-confident"!
Hopefully that is better!
All we have heard since the NCG is 101 excuses to why the SEC thumper got "THUMPED"! That's just arrogance.
So, yeah, I was speaking in broad terms based in some quotes YOU can google. From Coaches and players! Me and many people on here come across SEC-ond conference fans(no, not a fan of that school but of the conference) and they have similar excuses.
Either they lying or they are true! Either way - pathetic!
They will(Georgia) lose more games they probably shouldn't with that mindset. Being focused is part of the game. Playing in the rain for example - or the snow - or the heat - might be a distraction to a bad football team. The good ones figure out a way to channel enough energy toward focus in order to get the job done. Playing w/o key contributors, also part of football. Injuries are a big part of football.

I like you CD84 - have my opinion. My opinion is ND was better than Georgia last year! If they played 5 times I think ND would easily win 3 of 5.
Georgia between the hedges when it's still hot; will probably give them enough to push past the Irish. But, somehow, I think ND gets it done.
They have what the experts call the best DE's in the country X4. Which means Fromm won't have all day to throw it. They have kept big bodies on their roster to stuff the run and was really good at stopping it last year! I don't see that changing! 6 starters back on defense including their best LB and CB. And those DE's that multiple(athlon, SN) called the best around. They have recruited well on defense. Not as well on offense at skill positions. OL yes. Georgia had trouble getting to the QB l.y. which is what I said on TNET multiple times BEFORE THE NCG would be what killed Bama. Georgia would have had the same problem w/us last year BTW.
ND has big bodies to stuff GEorgia and elite DE's and will give Fromm fits.
This game will come down to how or if ND can move it against Georgia.

And, for the record. I don't care about Georgia!
I just think as I stated - it's good they are playing this season and playing early. The best thing for the rest of college football would be for ND to go "TO ATHENS And Win!"

It would at least slow down some of the propaganda and rhetoric about how elite the SEC is. When it is not.
Georgia is good.
Alabama is good.
LSU might be the best in the SEC-ond!
Florida - if they can find some offense is good.
Texas A&M is good.

But, don't sell me on Tennessee or U of sux being good just because they wear an SEC patch on their jersey!

I can not disagree with you on ND being better than UGA last year. Lost any leg in an argument on that staring from halftime of the SEC championship game. I in your last post you were probably a little nice when talking about Georgia’s ability to get to the QB last season ... thank goodness our LB corps mitigated that weakness but would have definitely played better if we had gotten our share of tackles for loss.

Sometimes I get tired of reading some of the stuff about my #1 team while over here ... my reaction was more to that noise than your post alone. Sorry I unloaded on yours.

Aug 6, 2019, 6:49 PM

UGA will walk them, ND lost a TON of talent that held them together last year

Aug 6, 2019, 7:25 PM

8 starters back on offense.
6 starters back on defense.

SethSly - 2017 & 2018 ND had top 10 classes!
2016 - 15
2015 - 13

So the cupboard isn't exactly bare. They have a better composite class on paper than: TEXAS!

And Bevo certainly didn't care that Georgia had a better class!

At some point - people will learn it's not everything if you aren't asking those stars to improve!

I see it being close whoever wins! I would be shocked if Georgia blows them out or beats ND by more than 2 TD's. Just b/c they are built to stop the run and b/c of their elite edge rushers!

Aug 6, 2019, 8:06 PM

ND was 36th against the run last year. That’s not terrible or anything, but I wouldn’t call that being built to stop the run. They gave up 5.7 YPC against us last year.

Aug 6, 2019, 8:38 PM

They were 4-1 against ranked teams. And they were actually ranked ( see link below ) 30. They gave up less rush yards than Georgia by 96 yards. With more attempts at their defense(435) to Georgia's(418). 1698 to 1602 given up.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/statistics/team/_/stat/rushing/position/defense/sort/rushingYards

133.5 compared to 130.6.

Not chopped liver considering how highly rated their competition was supposed to be much like Georgia's competition over-bloated opponents rankings! Being so close; one couldn't say Georgia was stout and ND not! Plus, ND 34 sacks and 12 int compared to 24 and 8 to Georgia.

Dawgs win 41 - 27***

Aug 6, 2019, 10:50 PM

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic