Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Uva’s loss begs the question
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 42
| visibility 1

Uva’s loss begs the question

Mar 17, 2018, 7:23 AM

What is the biggest upset in sports history?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Uva’s loss begs the question

Mar 17, 2018, 7:25 AM

App State over Michigan football several years ago was incredible

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GO TIGERS

I honestly think last night was it...

Mar 17, 2018, 7:26 AM

Look at the numbers. UVA is 31-2 against a top 10 schedule. They blew the doors off most teams with RPI’s below UMBC (111).

On the other side, UMBC only played the “high major” teams and lost all 3 by double digits.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

A Perfect Storm of 'Ugh'.

Mar 17, 2018, 7:31 AM

Injuries matter. It's such an equalizer, especially with no time to acclimate to the absence. Hunter was the best player on the Cavs by far...he changes the game for them. Last night was UVA's '11 Orange Bowl...a perfect storm of 'ugh'.

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

best Player? He was their sixth man

Mar 17, 2018, 8:26 AM

And averaged 9 points and a few rebounds per game. He is good but definitely not their best player. And still, they should have been able to beat a 16 seed that last to albany by 40 points without their top bench player.

Hard to disagree ...

Mar 17, 2018, 8:52 AM

The Hoos just ran into a buzz saw last night and they simply weren't prepared for it.

UMBC has not played like that before and they won't play like that again.

It was that proverbial "any given night" ...

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He is one of their best players

Mar 17, 2018, 9:40 AM [ in reply to best Player? He was their sixth man ]

or at least their biggest difference maker. ACC 6th man of the year, their 4th leading scorer, plays solid defense and he's UVA's best NBA prospect.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

absolutely matters

Mar 17, 2018, 9:51 AM [ in reply to best Player? He was their sixth man ]

i wood argue he was their best player on that team. he changes everything.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I for one am glad you are stopping. You are one of the most ignorant posters ever. You obviously think very highly of your own opinion, unlike the rest of us - RockHillTiger

He was their best Pro prospect, but not their most valuable

Mar 17, 2018, 12:55 PM [ in reply to best Player? He was their sixth man ]

player...Like how DG was our best player, but Shelly is our most valuable

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Actually I'd use our game at UVA after losing

Mar 17, 2018, 9:41 AM [ in reply to A Perfect Storm of 'Ugh'. ]

Grantham as a comparison. They just didn't have a chance to adjust to the new rotation.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"IDIOT POSTER OF THE MONTH SO FAR...GWP-- You have won IPM Award for your failure to completely comprehend a clear post & then choose to attack someone who points out your ignorance. While you are not yet in the same No Class Catagory as deRoberts, ClemTiger117 & Tigerdug23, you are getting closer to the Sewer Dwellers." - coachmac

Re: Actually I'd use our game at UVA after losing

Mar 17, 2018, 11:40 AM

I was actually alluding to that, in a veiled sorta way! LOL!

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 7:32 AM

GT over Cumberland College .

There are ghosts that still can't believe it happened .

DB23

I don’t know about all sports, but it’s the biggest upset in

Mar 17, 2018, 7:41 AM

Basketball

Re: I don’t know about all sports, but it’s the biggest upset in

Mar 17, 2018, 7:50 AM

Do they drug test after basketball games...

Mar 17, 2018, 7:58 AM

The only thing close would be App St over Mich or Daly winning the PGA Championship. Maybe USA over Russia. Serra over St Pierre was pretty big. Douglas over Tyson was 42-1 odds so that could be one of the greatest betting but I cant imagine what the odds od Daly winning was. I think UMBC was 17-1.

the falcons blowing a 28-3 lead in the super bowl***

Mar 17, 2018, 8:22 AM

Re: the falcons blowing a 28-3 lead in the super bowl***

Mar 17, 2018, 8:33 AM

^ still believes that happened accidentally ^

DB23

UNLV was favored by 45 points over Howard last year

Mar 17, 2018, 8:38 AM

http://www.espn.com/chalk/story/_/id/20555460/howard-stuns-unlv-biggest-point-spread-upset-college-football-history

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 8:44 AM

I know there aren’t many soccer fans around here and it wasn’t a single game upset but Leicester City winning the English premier league in 16 will forever be the greatest underdog story of all time. 5000/1 odds entering the season.

Just for perspective Rutgers, Fresno State, and San Diego State are 1200/1 to win the CFP this year

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 9:42 AM

They went right back to mediocrity.

Not even close.***

Mar 17, 2018, 8:53 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

Wow this is brutal

Mar 17, 2018, 8:57 AM

and hilarious.

https://twitter.com/BFawkesESPN/status/974850226967203840

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe not the worst but one of my personal favorites...

Mar 17, 2018, 8:58 AM

was the 84 loss by $CU to Navy.

Navy had just three wins and would be playing without their best player, future NFL running back Napoleon McCallum.

Earlier in the day, Oklahoma upset No. 1 Nebraska 17-7.

Had the Gamecocks beaten Navy, they would likely have been ranked No. 1 in the Nation and headed to the Orange Bowl to play for a National Championship.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Orange Pants...1980

Mar 17, 2018, 9:27 AM

In the last regular season game for the 1980 season, a heavily favored Carolina team traveled to Death Valley to take on the Tigers. In a surprise to both the players and the fans, Coach Danny Ford unveiled new orange uniform pants for the Tigers to wear. This was the first time in Clemson's history that they wore orange pants in any combination for a football game. Inspired by the pants, the underdog Tigers defeated the Gamecocks, 27–6.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

US Hockey team winning gold over Russia

Mar 17, 2018, 9:12 AM

But I can't recall off the top of my head when other than early 80's

Mar 17, 2018, 9:27 AM

I'm going old school. Joe and The Jets against the Johnny U. Super Colts in the Superbowl! Pretty sure it was Super Bowl 3, maybe 1966-67?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mike Tyson vs Buster Douglas was a big upset.*****

Mar 17, 2018, 9:34 AM

^ Example of bigger upset.***

Mar 17, 2018, 12:52 PM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-francismarion.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"I've played multiple sports and would bet any amount that I'm still more athletic than you at this present time...."

South Carolina beating LA Tech***

Mar 17, 2018, 9:38 AM

Mar 17, 2018, 10:07 AM

Leicester City winning the premier league is the greatest upset in sports history.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Smelley, Garcia, and Beecher are going to lead you to 4-8." - york_tiger

Mar 17, 2018, 10:32 AM

Louisiana-Monroe over #1 Alabama in football

that wasn't #1 Alabama. That was rebuilding Alabama***

Mar 17, 2018, 6:46 PM

Another UVa hoops squad is also in the running

Mar 17, 2018, 10:39 AM

1982 vs Chaminade in Honolulu

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/1982_Virginia_vs._Chaminade_men%27s_basketball_game

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 11:11 AM

Actually the biggest upset in sports is the USA hockey win over USSR.
The Americans were a bunch of College kids playing the best hockey team of all time.

I'd say the Cluckers beating us 5 in a row

Mar 17, 2018, 11:21 AM

is the most improbable feat in history. They hadn't won TWO in a row in almost 50 years. 5 in a row defies all rational logic. A #1 will lose to a #16 again, the USA will beat Russia in hockey, but that? No way.

What he said.

Mar 17, 2018, 11:49 AM

:)

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 12:52 PM

I’ve always been partial to the US hockey victory over the Soviets in1980. We were at a low point in our nation ‘s history- 52 hostages being held in Iran, the Soviets had invaded Afghanistan, fuel shortages at home, skyrocketing interest rates, and a president who seemed to have no vision of how to lead the nation out of any of the problems we faced. That victory was important for more reasons than just sports. I’ll never forget Al Michaels’ call: Do you believe in miracles? YES!!

Mar 17, 2018, 1:51 PM

That's not how you use begs the question. It doesn't mean asks the question. Begging the question means the answer you're looking for is in the formulation of the question.

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 2:30 PM

I know that. Aren’t you smart! Don’t you have anything better to do today than lecture me about logic and the fallacies there of? I know what “begging the question “ is. I am edukated two! Get a life. Jerk.

Mar 17, 2018, 4:55 PM

Well the person who posted didn't. I didn't mean it in a condescending manner like your response. I just think that people who don't know won't change how they use it if you don't tell them.

It just bothers when I see it in the wild so I commented on it. Chill out man.

Edit, you were the person who posted it lolololol. "I know that" Well that statement is obviously false lol.

Message was edited by: mattcah®

2024 student level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 17, 2018, 6:43 PM

I knew it wasn’t the true meaning of “begging the question “ I have taken classes in logic. It’s an expression people use. I thought about not phrasing the question that way but I figured nobody on TigerNet was a big enough jerk off to take issue. Obviously I was wrong.

1992 FA Cup. Wrexham 2, Arsenal 1

Mar 17, 2018, 3:15 PM

Wrexham was 5 divisions below Arsenal

Mar 17, 2018, 4:41 PM

It wasn't this;

http://joeposnanski.com/upset-and-man-o-war/

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 42
| visibility 1