Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Great hire by Ga Tech!
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 10
| visibility 1

Great hire by Ga Tech!

Dec 7, 2018, 12:11 PM

Signed, Clemson and UGA.

What is it going to take for the rest of the ACC to take football seriously?! Tomb Raiders at UNC hire the relic Mack Brown, GT hires... who?, and FSU with its vaunted Gulf Coast Offense(lol) has been set back at least 5 years with their crappy hire. Either these clowns start taking it seriously or we should have to share our CFP/bowl revenue with them.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

*Shouldn't***

Dec 7, 2018, 12:13 PM

does the guy have any connections to the state of Georgia

Dec 7, 2018, 12:20 PM

at all? I can't imagine he does. So they start from scratch now... Temple was basically Matt Rhule's creation..can't imagine this guy did anything but carry the torch and not ruin the momentum. I would have looked to UGA's staff, Clemson's Staff, or someone else who's locally involved in the high school recruiting scene instead of a guy out of left field.

Re: does the guy have any connections to the state of Georgia

Dec 7, 2018, 12:22 PM

Yes--born in GA and had twice been on GA Tech's staff:

"Born in Georgia with college playing experience at Western Carolina, Collins has been on Georgia Tech's staff twice already in his career as both a graduate assistant and recruiting coordinator."

Source: https://www.cbssports.com/college-football/news/georgia-tech-hires-temple-coach-geoff-collins-to-lead-yellow-jackets-football-program/

Re: does the guy have any connections to the state of Georgia

Dec 7, 2018, 12:48 PM

The "recruiting coordinator" part would scare me a little bit, if I were a GT fan!

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Even though we pretty much own Paul Johnson now, I’m

Dec 7, 2018, 12:25 PM

... really happy that we don’t have to prepare for that lousy option offense EVERY year.

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great hire by Ga Tech!

Dec 7, 2018, 12:46 PM

Yeah, hard to make much of his head coaching or D coordinator success or lack thereof based on rudimentary stats:

As HC: 8-4 and 7-6 at Temple the past two years (small sample size all around re: record, offense, & defense rankings)

As DC (scoring defense: points per PLAY [i.e. adjusted somewhat for offense's impact on defense]):
vs own conference & division is probably most relevant, as it takes out high/low flying conferences...

2016 (Florida): #4 in SEC (#1 in SEC East, #7 in FBS)
2015 (Florida): #3 in SEC (#2 in SEC East, #9 in FBS)...improved from #7 in SEC, #3 in SEC East, and #21 in FBS before he arrived
2014 (Miss St): #4 in SEC (#3 in SEC West, #13 in FBS) - recovered
2013 (Miss St): #7 in SEC (#5 in SEC West [of 7], #58 in FBS)
2012 (Miss St): #8 in SEC (#5 in SEC West, #40 in FBS) - BIG drop off from year 1
2011 (Miss St): #3 in SEC (#3 in SEC West, #6 in FBS)...similar to #3 in SEC, #2 in SEC West, and #18 in FBS before he arrived (non-SEC had better defense in 2010 than it did in 2011)

Source: teamrankings [dot] com

Coincidentally, Paul Johnson and the new coach Collins are

Dec 7, 2018, 7:47 PM

both alumni of Western Carolina University.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Great hire by Ga Tech!

Dec 7, 2018, 8:03 PM

He actually did pretty well at Temple this year. Started rough, but sprung several upsets on teams higher up on the food chain, including Maryland, Cincinnati, and USF. He also played BC and UCF pretty durn tough.

Not a known name, but he looks like a pretty good coach just off what he did at Temple. Might end up being a good fit there at GT.

Still gonna be a rough few years re-tooling from that option attack. GT just doesn't have any players on the offensive side of the ball, and they really aren't that competitive on D either.

I don’t see why it’s such a bad hire.

Dec 7, 2018, 8:20 PM

He is from Georgia and has previously been on the GT coaching staff. He has done well as a DC, and I am impressed by how his Temple teams have played.

Who would you have considered a good hire for them?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Many people including a lot on

Dec 7, 2018, 8:23 PM

This board, said the same thing when we hired Dabo. Point is you never know. I remember how upset USC fans were when they hired Pete Carroll, who was about their fifth choice.

Replies: 10
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic