Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
2018 Clemson - firmly the 3rd best CFB team of all time
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 24
| visibility 1

2018 Clemson - firmly the 3rd best CFB team of all time

Jan 13, 2019, 7:16 PM

I don't think that can be argued . Also, (lets be fair) there's a bit of a drop off after the Top 2

#1 - 1995 Nebraska
#2 - 2001 Miami
#3 - 2018 Clemson

Clemson had a great team this year, but here is the benchmark for moving up to #2:

Ken Dorsey
Willis McGahee
Clinton Portis 
Frank Gore
Jeremy Shockey
Kellen Winslow II
Andre Johnson
Najeh Davenport 
Ed Reed
Johnathan Vilma 
Vince Wilfork
DJ Williams
Antrel Rolle 
Sean Taylor

17 1st Round draft picks

RB depth chart:

1. Clinton Portis
2. Najeh Davenport
3. Willis McGahee
4. Frank Gore

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Is The Standard

Re: 2018 Clemson - firmly the 3rd best CFB team of all time

Jan 13, 2019, 7:18 PM

holy moley! More than half of the first round was from Miami!

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 7:38 PM

Actually those 1st round draft picks were selected over the course of 4 years, but having that many out of 128 is still insane.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 7:20 PM

15-0

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 7:22 PM

Who's to say that over the next four NFL drafts we won't have a similar number of high draftees? Seems a little premature to make a claim based on draft picks when we haven't had time for this roster to go through the draft process.

Jan 13, 2019, 7:32 PM

I was thinking the same thing. I've got a feeling that ten years from now, we will stand in awe thinking about the two deep from this group. I'd be surprised if ultimately there aren't similar numbers of first round draft picks.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 8:11 PM [ in reply to Re: 2018 Clemson - firmly the 3rd best CFB team of all time ]

Exactly. If 15-0 isn’t good enough and you want to use the next 4 yrs of the NFL draft to decide then let’s wait 4 yrs. I’m good with that. In the meantime I’ll go with our 2018-19 Tigers at 15-0, something never achieved til now

So, the NFL draft determines the quality of a college

Jan 13, 2019, 7:23 PM

Football team? Wow! Who knew. Guess we could just wait on the draft, see which team puts in the most and declare them national champs. Would save lot of time, money, and angst.

Tiger/Terrier

You mean 17 drafted in 2002; they had 5 1st round picks

Jan 13, 2019, 7:40 PM

And they had 38 players on that team drafted in
the following years. Great team, but we should
be close.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/2001_Miami_Hurricanes_football_team

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Best Ever

Jan 13, 2019, 7:41 PM

period

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best Ever

Jan 13, 2019, 7:52 PM

I agree, all great teams but it's not all apples to apples. The recruiting competition Miami and Nebraska faced in their geographic regions was much less then than it is today. Since then, new brands have come to be and recruiting dynamics have changed with more teams involved in the mix across the country.

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Best Ever

Jan 13, 2019, 10:50 PM

I’m sure Nebraska and the surrounding area wasn’t a hot bed of prospects. And UF and FSU were both pretty when Miami has their great team.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jan 13, 2019, 7:41 PM

There is a big difference between "Best Roster" and "Best Team."

The fact is, Clemson DOMINATED two undefeated teams in the Playoffs on it's way to hoisting the 2018 Championship Trophy. That alone will probably NEVER happen again. 15-0. Outscored our final 3 opponents by a combined score of 116-29, all 3 wins by 27+ points. Not only is that the most dominant finish to a season, it's going to be very very hard to top, ever. #BestEver

'01 Miami is ranked high because

Jan 13, 2019, 7:47 PM

of what the guys on their roster did in the NFL. They didn't even make it to the BCS championship game that year, so screw 'em.

The '95 Nebraska team has an argument. They were dominant and the closest game they played was a 14 point win against Washington St. They had 2 games where they scored 70+ points, 2 more in the 60's, 2 games in the 50's and 4- 40 point games.

The most points they gave up in a game was 28 and the lowest points they scored in a game was 35. That's a stat I don't think I've ever seen. Where the lowest score you had in a game was good enough to win every game you played.

Re: '01 Miami is ranked high because

Jan 13, 2019, 8:12 PM

The 2001 Miami team did make it to the BCS Championship Game. They beat BCS #2 Nebraska to become champs. It was the 2000 Miami team that got bypassed in the BCS by an FSU team with the same record even though Miami had beat them earlier in the year.

The lowest amount we scored in a game this year

Jan 13, 2019, 8:22 PM [ in reply to '01 Miami is ranked high because ]

Would have won all but Scar game. I think that was a smokescreen game.

Jan 13, 2019, 7:50 PM

No offense but Nebraska was pretty much one dimensional. Lawrence Phillips was a cancer. I can think of other teams I’d put ahead of them. The U and southern cal to name a few.

I don't get why the NFL has anything to do with

Jan 13, 2019, 7:51 PM

which is the best college team. Performances on the field during a college season determine that in my mind.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Re: I don't get why the NFL has anything to do with

Jan 13, 2019, 7:55 PM

You cant judge a team by what players did in the NFL

Exactly

Jan 13, 2019, 7:56 PM

Or how many were drafted

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"It is not part of a true culture to tame tigers any more than it is to make sheep ferocious."
--Henry David Thoreau

Jan 13, 2019, 7:57 PM

Those two teams are generally mentioned as the top 2 teams of all-time with 2005 Texas and 2013 FSU being the other two that are mentioned most often.

There's no doubt that we are in that top 5.

As impressive as the 2001 Miami team was in terms of future NFL draft picks, I don't think that is the best way to determine which college team is the best. It's similar to the argument that people make against Heisman winners by invoking their future NFL success (or lack thereof). Future NFL success alone does not automatically mean a college team is good even though it is one decent indicator. However, that doesn't meant that I'm discounting how great that team was by any means.

If you were to compare undefeated national champions by average margin of victory, our 2018 averaged 31.4 ppg more than our opponents. FSU in 2013 averaged a whopping 41.8 ppg more than their opponents. Texas in 2005 averaged 33.8 more ppg than their opponents. Nebraska in 1995 averaged 38.7 more ppg than their opponents. The 2001 Miami team had an average margin of victory of 32.9 ppg.

If you compare FPI (only available since 2005), 2005 Texas had a rating of 33.6, 2013 FSU was 33.2 and 2018 Clemson is 32.7. Just for comparison sake, Saban's highest rated Bama team was actually the 2016 team that we beat at 31.2. Their best championship team was 2012 at 30.6, but they weren't undefeated.

The bottom line is that there's no clear cut way to pick the best team of all-time. Different people will pick different teams based on their own biases and varying criteria. I think it's safe to say that these are the best 5 teams in modern college football history though. Whether we are ranked first or fifth by someone doesn't really make any difference to me. I'm just happy that we are being included in the conversation.

Excellent research ... but to your point

Jan 13, 2019, 8:06 PM

The Miami players were phenomenal, yet were drafted over 4 years. A bigger counter point in my mind is Trevor Lawrence vs. Ken Dorsey. QB play is disproportional and should be overweighted, in any game and any season, compared to play by the rest of the team.

Give me Trevor Lawrence over Ken Dorsey every time. And in three years, I would be interested in you posting how benchwarmers Xavier Thomas, KJ Henry, Justin Foster, Justin Mascoll and others stack up to the real #1 2001 Miami with consideration to this year's D-Line

Great post +1 -- agree those MIA teams were sick and deserve #1 (less Dorsey). Give me this Clemson team 9 out of 10 times versus the so-called #1 1995 Nebraska squad.

Sorry, that dog don't hunt. This years Bama team will have

Jan 13, 2019, 8:11 PM

more NFL draft choices than us. But, that has NO bearing on the college game. If so, Bama would win it EVERY year.

Who says NFL draft picks is the criteria for best team?

Jan 13, 2019, 8:54 PM

By definition team means a group playing together. I would argue the best team is the o e that achieved the most and best the best. And did so without cheating.

Jan 13, 2019, 11:32 PM

Disagree. As other have stated " best team", most nfl drafted 1st round is a different argument. Also, does anyone doubt we could have scored more points over the course of the season. We are too classy to pile on a team already beaten.

Replies: 24
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic