Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I do NOT want plastic grass at Death Valley
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 31
| visibility 1

I do NOT want plastic grass at Death Valley

Sep 8, 2019, 1:55 PM

Come on ag guys lets get a plan going to save our real grass.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I do NOT want plastic grass at Death Valley

Sep 8, 2019, 1:57 PM

If you ever walk on a turf field it is about like walking on an asphalt driveway.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2019, 1:58 PM

Is this a "real world" topic or a Tigernet staff "I need clicks" topic? Either way I have not heard any buzz about replacing our grass with artificial turf.

Sep 8, 2019, 2:00 PM

People have secretly been saving Easter basket grass for years and weaving it into squares for this. :)

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's a response to how the field looks so far this season.

Sep 8, 2019, 2:07 PM [ in reply to Re: I do NOT want plastic grass at Death Valley ]

Not what we're used to.

Sep 8, 2019, 2:08 PM [ in reply to Re: I do NOT want plastic grass at Death Valley ]

The Prowl and growl tour said there ARE discussions about installing field turf in DV. Don’t shoot the messenger.

As noted elsewhere if this came to fruition.

Sep 8, 2019, 2:16 PM

The irony of an agricultural school having to resort to artificial turf. Let's hope this never gets off the ground.

Re: As noted elsewhere if this came to fruition.

Sep 8, 2019, 2:58 PM

You think it was hot in DV yesterday - if fake grass is installed, plan to see upwards of 135-150 field temps. The field staff is old school, unwilling to try solutions that will help the turf. That's why our field is so compacted and has poor turf quality. This is ENTIRELY FIXABLE.

Ask Auburn why their field is so good. Ask Florida State and NC State. They have solutions that many of the pro stadiums use. Gotta get some air into the soil profile for it to grow grass. Air + water + soil health = great turf. Not complicated.

Sep 8, 2019, 6:05 PM

135-150 degrees?

Lol out loud

Sep 8, 2019, 6:18 PM [ in reply to Re: As noted elsewhere if this came to fruition. ]

I know zero about field temperatures and grass/artificial turf. However, 150 degrees is the most ludicrous thing I’ve heard.

Also, Florida States field looked like garbage.

How do you feel about renewable bamboo flooring?

Sep 8, 2019, 2:06 PM

;)

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do you feel about renewable bamboo flooring? NO!!!!

Sep 8, 2019, 2:11 PM

we'd be over run by pandas. :)

Re: How do you feel about renewable bamboo flooring? NO!!!!

Sep 8, 2019, 10:52 PM

Can we find some pandas to play? I'm tired of birds and sheep and citrus fruit.

Sep 8, 2019, 2:11 PM

I'm having my second surgery after a turf toe injury from over 25 yrs ago from artificial turf...that stuff would hurt our players, but I'm not worried, we will fix the grass!! I should know...Grow the green !!

I don't want artificial turf, but it's some a long ways in

Sep 8, 2019, 3:49 PM

recent years. The stuff that you injured your toe on 25 years ago is in no way comparable to what is available now.

Re: I don't want artificial turf, but it's some a long ways in

Sep 9, 2019, 12:25 AM

I wondered if it(ATurf) was the same surface from 10-20yrs ago, as it had a reputation for being rough on the knees in comparison to natural grass-

Stay out of this Martavis***

Sep 8, 2019, 3:50 PM [ in reply to Re: I do NOT want plastic grass at Death Valley ]

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2019, 2:37 PM

Don't know if you looked lately, but DV has already got plastic grass. Of course the field itself is still natural, but all around the field is the fake stuff.

Sep 8, 2019, 3:25 PM

I’m fine with fake grass outside the playing field. But the playing field needs to be grass

get a hobby, quit worrying about fictional crap***

Sep 8, 2019, 3:17 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“poor kids are just as bright and just as talented as white kids.”

Re: get a hobby, quit worrying about fictional crap***

Sep 8, 2019, 3:27 PM

You have not been paying attention to real discussions going on within our athletic department. Long run it’s cheaper than real grass, less maintenance and looks better than what we currently have.

The fact is...

Sep 9, 2019, 10:24 AM [ in reply to get a hobby, quit worrying about fictional crap*** ]

this has been a veritable and ongoing discussion within the athletic department for about 18 months.

Don't kid yourself, it has some momentum and plenty of support.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Should get some input from Danny Ford

Sep 8, 2019, 3:22 PM

I’ve heard he’s pretty good at growing grass! ;)

2024 orange level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Heads in the administration and in......

Sep 8, 2019, 3:24 PM

the horticulture department need to roll if fake grass is EVER installed in DV.

this is the fakest of fake news I've ever seen

Sep 8, 2019, 3:45 PM

wouldn't you think if the AD wanted to start transitioning over to the artificial stuff that they would have started with the new softball field instead of sodding it last week?

Quit spreading rumor BS.

I think the "bad spots" on the football field around the 30-40 yd line is from GT's wacky coach holding basically a full-tackle scrimmage on the field last Thursday before the game. Had tackling dummy pads and everything out there. Weird pre-game stuff.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: this is the fakest of fake news I've ever seen

Sep 8, 2019, 6:25 PM

Uhm, they didn’t sod the softball field for play, that method is called soil stabilization to deter runoff and is a stormwater requirement by law. Not saying this OP is right or that you are wrong but what happened last week in the stage of construction the new softball field is in you are misinformed at the least.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sep 8, 2019, 4:13 PM

Why would they legislate away the balloons because of turtles and then install plastic grass? Wouldn’t that hurt the worm ecosystem in Death Valley? Conflicting messages from the tree huggers.

true story about DV's old "crown"

Sep 8, 2019, 5:51 PM

i was lucky enough to take surveying back in the day at Clemson under "happy jack" mccormac..one lab day was spent running cross-sections of the field in death valley..youngsters have no idea of the home field advantage frank howard built into that old field..i am 6' tall, as was my lab partner..that field was crowned so high that I literally could not see my partner on the opposite sideline..the center of the field was at least 6'higher than either sideline..a qb at midfield was throwing seriously downhill in every direction except along the field centerline.

don't remember when they removed the crown..it was a while ago.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

GoTiguhs!!

Re: true story about DV's old "crown"

Sep 8, 2019, 6:01 PM

Tommy Bowden removed the crown & im still pissed about it.

Re: true story about DV's old "crown"

Sep 8, 2019, 6:01 PM [ in reply to true story about DV's old "crown" ]

Tommy Bowden removed the crown & im still pissed about it.

I hate that they removed the old crown of the field, I

Sep 8, 2019, 11:21 PM [ in reply to true story about DV's old "crown" ]

think that got removed in 99 or 2000, I remember they had graduation at Death Valley that year because Littlejohn was mid-Reno #1, and at the time they had the field all dug up to remove the crown, so it was nothing but dirt - NOT pretty! lol

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Photobucket

Sep 8, 2019, 6:52 PM

It does get hot, at times very hot. Our son's HS soccer team played one game a season on a 'state of the art' turf field. It would get as hot, or nearly, as the asphalt sidewalks in the stadium.

The players would get 1st degree burns on the bottom of their feet. Also, even artificial turf gets hard overtime.

Replies: 31
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic