Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I cut the cord today ...
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 53
| visibility 1

I cut the cord today ...

Mar 5, 2018, 9:34 PM

I went with YouTube TV 35 per month . This should be interesting . I am going from direcTVs top tier package to this . 49 dollar internet and This YouTube package . About 120 per month savings .

I am “skeered” ...

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

let us know the results***

Mar 5, 2018, 10:28 PM

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I cut the cord today ...

Mar 5, 2018, 10:31 PM

What do you do for sports programming?

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

YouTube TV 35 bucks

Mar 5, 2018, 10:38 PM

It had ESPN , Espn2 , EspnU , ESPN News , regional Fox Sports, FS1 , FS2, CBS Sports , NBC Sports , SEC , Big10 , ABC , NBC , CBS , and Fox . TBS , and about 25 of the typical Cable package channels . I looked at several different services And chose YouTube based on the slant towards sports

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: YouTube TV 35 bucks

Mar 6, 2018, 12:09 AM

Is it streaming or actual TV. I hate watching games on WatchESPN and having it be a minute or maybe more behind.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: YouTube TV 35 bucks

Mar 6, 2018, 7:31 AM

it is streaming and for me 30 seconds is not worth 1200 dollars a year.

March 4th 2016- "Lee won't be here 4 years from today" - Viztiz

Mar 5, 2018, 10:53 PM [ in reply to Re: I cut the cord today ... ]

Here is a link to the actual list of channels ,

https://hd-report.com/list-of-channels-on-youtube-tv/

Mar 6, 2018, 9:08 PM

Hard for me, who remembers my excitement when fledgling ABC came to town giving us three channels (fuzzy, small pictures with no color), to say this with a straight face but I couldn't live with just the channels you are getting and having to stream from youtube.

So you were paying $200 per month for Direct TV?

Mar 5, 2018, 10:34 PM

I'm paying $74 per month, and have gotten every football and bball game, and watched the baseball this past weekend on WatchESpiN.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: So you were paying $200 per month for Direct TV?

Mar 5, 2018, 10:41 PM

No , I was paying about 95 to direct TV , and 90 for internet . Now 84 total . Dropped the land line that was bundled as well

Re: So you were paying $200 per month for Direct TV?

Mar 5, 2018, 10:42 PM

I also get Watch ESPN still by way of .... well let’s just say I still get it

You should have it anyway with your YouTube TV subscription

Mar 5, 2018, 10:47 PM

it's based on your service provider, and if they carry ESPN or not

Re: You should have it anyway with your YouTube TV subscription

Mar 5, 2018, 10:50 PM

I will have to check and see if YouTube is listed as a provider in the app

good point... they may not have added it yet, considering

Mar 5, 2018, 10:52 PM

YouTube TV is relatively new

Just looked it up and it appears they have added it, however

Mar 7, 2018, 9:22 AM

it's not one of the "main" ones so you have to scroll to the bottom.

http://www.espn.com/watchespn/mobile/auth/adobepass/chooseProvider

Providing a link to show where it is, at the bottom.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 5, 2018, 11:38 PM

I did this over 2 years ago. I have sling and an HD antenna on my roof. I saw where YouTube now has an plan as well. Don't think you will regret it at all

personally I am a firm believer in putting money

Mar 6, 2018, 12:17 AM

Into what brings the most happiness! I find television is worth spending the most money because I get the most joy from sports, movies and shows. Just my two cent

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: personally I am a firm believer in putting money

Mar 6, 2018, 3:10 AM

You can cut the cord and still all the sports, movies and shows, all what keeping a lot more of your dough.

Mar 6, 2018, 6:50 AM

I just recently switched from DirectNow to YoutubeTV. I was paying $55 w/Directv Now and saved $20 by switching. I don’t notice near as much buffering on YouTube TV. I also like getting all local channels. One awesome feature they have as well is unlimited Cloud DVR. Once you record one show (say Big Bang Theory), even though I’ve never watched it, it will record every show automatically. Also, if you start watching something midway through and hit “add to library” it will record it, but only where you started. However, if that show or event gets played again it will replace your recording with the entire event/Show/movie.

I would like to know how to get internet for $49.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2018, 6:50 AM [ in reply to Re: personally I am a firm believer in putting money ]

I just recently switched from DirectNow to YoutubeTV. I was paying $55 w/Directv Now and saved $20 by switching. I don’t notice near as much buffering on YouTube TV. I also like getting all local channels. One awesome feature they have as well is unlimited Cloud DVR. Once you record one show (say Big Bang Theory), even though I’ve never watched it, it will record every show automatically. Also, if you start watching something midway through and hit “add to library” it will record it, but only where you started. However, if that show or event gets played again it will replace your recording with the entire event/Show/movie.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2018, 6:50 AM [ in reply to Re: personally I am a firm believer in putting money ]

Mar 6, 2018, 6:57 AM

“I would like to know how to get internet for $49.“

You and 2 others.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may be getting hit with a redundancy fee***

Mar 7, 2018, 8:17 AM [ in reply to Re: personally I am a firm believer in putting money ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You may be getting hit with a redundancy fee***

Mar 7, 2018, 8:18 AM [ in reply to Re: personally I am a firm believer in putting money ]

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, the point of cutting the cord isn't losing tv

Mar 7, 2018, 10:11 AM [ in reply to Re: personally I am a firm believer in putting money ]

It's paying less for the exact same quality tv you already have. Just takes getting out of your comfort zone of turning on your cable or satellite box to watch it.

Thought masters weekend was the best time to do that?***

Mar 6, 2018, 6:53 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Thought masters weekend was the best time to do that?***

Mar 6, 2018, 8:33 AM

^^^^^ I get the masters on YouTubeTv

https://hd-report.com/list-of-channels-on-youtube-tv/

Mar 6, 2018, 6:54 AM

Just curious EssoClub2 - how are you connecting to the Internet? Cable company? DSL? Verizon?

My experience with streaming live TV has been a mixed bag. No matter the channel provider (i.e. Youtube, Sling, Hulu etc...) - if the Internet connection is "iffy" the service tends to be more frustrating than anything else. If you have a good Internet connection I imagine you will be happy with the service.

Like some others have said - I don't mind spending money on the things I enjoy - TV and Internet being high on that list. I still subscribe to cable (Spectrum) for Internet and TV but use own my own cable modem and built a "video LAN" system using the HDHomeRun Prime boxes to stream TV anywhere I want. By using this system I cut out about $40 a month in BS cable company "box" rentals and DVR service fees.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I have TDS as my internet provider .

Mar 6, 2018, 8:23 AM

I am very fortunate from that perspective . I have fiber all the way to the house. They price matched Spectrums offer of 49 bucks for stand alone internet , ( non bundled) I have 300mbs speed . I can ramp up to 1Gps if I choose. At one point I had thy speed (119 per month) when I was working from home and doing huge downloads . Streaming today does not require super speed as much as it needs consistency . The devices ability to buffer properly is more important than speed . I do not do “gaming” speed is critical in that . My price is good 24 months

Mar 6, 2018, 7:33 AM

I recommend getting an antenna for local channels.

My set up is an antenna in the attic that feeds all the TVs in the house. I also have Hulu and Netflix which I share the cost with someone else.

I get access to sports via other ways.

Mar 6, 2018, 8:34 AM

I get the local channels with YouTube TV

Mar 6, 2018, 1:32 PM

10-4 just will be a better picture with an antenna.

Mar 7, 2018, 9:41 AM [ in reply to Re: I cut the cord today ... ]

I use a 4 tuner tablo and an antenna, harddrive and ethernet lan to record and disribute local channels. For live watch, i just use antenna directly to TV. Picture is the best available that way. TV the old way.

No History Channels..No Go!

Mar 6, 2018, 7:56 AM

Gotta have them, although the regular History channel pretty much sucks except for "Forged in Fire", the others show a lot of history.

^^^Watches Swamp People^^^***

Mar 6, 2018, 8:51 AM

"Dabo crushed my soul." --- Classof09

I'm a Forged In Fire fan myself***

Mar 6, 2018, 9:16 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"When I die, I want to go peacefully like my Grandfather did, in his sleep -- not screaming, like the passengers in his car."

"I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it."

Re: No History Channels..No Go!

Mar 6, 2018, 1:35 PM [ in reply to No History Channels..No Go! ]

Forged in Fire is on Hulu

Welcome to the club!

Mar 6, 2018, 7:59 AM

I moved over to the DirectvNOW version last summer ... before football season too and it all worked just fine. Seems to be getting better. Dropped down to the $35 per month after football season and get every channel I need.

SyFy, AMC, USA, History Channel, ESPN, ESPN2, TNT...FX.... great channel selection

Message was edited by: HuntClub®

badge-donor-10yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

John 3:16; 14:1-6

Mar 6, 2018, 8:50 AM

Yep, keep us posted please.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2018, 9:10 AM

Switched to YouTube tv about halfway through football season last year. Love it. No complaints whatsoever. Still have to have internet through the cable company as they are the only high speed option in my area currently

I did the same thing recently, cut DirecTV, upgraded my

Mar 6, 2018, 9:17 AM

internet (still with AT&T), and went with Sling. Saving about $60 a month and haven't had issues so far.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 6, 2018, 1:41 PM

Also if anyone else is wanting to look into this the main competition right now in the streaming TV business are as follows:

SlingTV - They were really the first ones to market and the only one I have used in the past. https://www.sling.com/

Playstation Vue - I have a few friends who use them and no you dont need a playstation to use their service. They just have a ###### name. - https://www.playstation.com/en-us/network/vue/

Direct TV Now - https://www.directvnow.com/

Youtube TV - https://tv.youtube.com/welcome/

Pet peeve.. you didn't cut anything.

Mar 6, 2018, 2:18 PM

You are just more dependant on that cord delivering your internet.

Geville Tiger on Clemson football , "Dabo's only problem is he has to deal with turd fans questioning every move he makes.”

Re: Pet peeve.. you didn't cut anything.

Mar 6, 2018, 4:00 PM

That “ cord “ is needed for many other things , so it will be there for the foreseeable future. You are correct , I could have used a different choice of words. But my wallet feels better and that makes me happy.

Mar 6, 2018, 2:26 PM

You will be fine. Ive been with Playstation Vue for 2 years now. Way better than DirecTV that goes out every time it rains. You can also download Terrarium TV(better than kodi)

Mar 6, 2018, 2:27 PM

Im using on Nvidia Shield. Its the best TV box you can buy besides that other cheaper Chinese knock off one (cant remember the name)

Mar 6, 2018, 2:42 PM

I've been on PSVue for 2 years now. It seems the best for sports.

Mar 6, 2018, 9:21 PM

Can you update the board in two months about the experiment?

Re: I cut the cord tod^^^^^^i will update

Mar 6, 2018, 10:04 PM

I will update in a couple of months. I am thinking in a worst case , I won’t like it and will have my choice of “new customer” offers to go back to what I had.

I have 4 TVs in the house . All HD. Today I have been streaming different programs on all 4 all day. Working on my taxes online , my wife had been streamed my music in her art room while she paints .

Anyway , today I put it through my “stress test” and was very pleased. We would rarely have a need for streaming the amount that I did today simultaneously.

I hope that it keeps on keeping on .

Re: I cut the cord tod^^^^^^i will update

Mar 6, 2018, 10:04 PM [ in reply to Re: I cut the cord today ... ]

I will update in a couple of months. I am thinking in a worst case , I won’t like it and will have my choice of “new customer” offers to go back to what I had.

I have 4 TVs in the house . All HD. Today I have been streaming different programs on all 4 all day. Working on my taxes online , my wife had been streamed my music in her art room while she paints .

Anyway , today I put it through my “stress test” and was very pleased. We would rarely have a need for streaming the amount that I did today simultaneously.

I hope that it keeps on keeping on .

Mar 7, 2018, 6:38 AM

Having fun?

Mar 7, 2018, 6:38 AM

Having fun?

My recommendation

Mar 7, 2018, 10:08 AM

Is to trade passwords with your friends who also cut the cord. With a handful of streaming services at your disposal, there's nothing on tv you can't watch.

I pay for Netflix and Hulu, but have traded passwords with close friends to have access to HBO GO, WatchESPN, and Amazon Video.

Mar 7, 2018, 11:19 AM

Looks promising. I've tried Hulu but it didnt have everything and i hated the digital streaming delays. May have to try the free trail of youtubetv. As long as they have the golf channel I will be happy. As long as they have HGTV the Mrs. will be happy.

Replies: 53
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic