Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
My criticism of men's basketball..
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 3
| visibility 1

My criticism of men's basketball..

Jan 13, 2019, 12:53 AM

is not of the team, but the layout / seat assignments and fan engagement.
Admittedly, I haven't made a basketball game in probably a decade. Not really the kind of thing to fly in from CA for, but with the parade today we were stoked to buy tix and go.

With this being the first game for my daughter, I knew the better the seats the better chance she'd have of getting hooked. I bought seats in 111, row k (11 rows up feom the halfcourt line on the home side). GREAT SEATS!

Now it was rough early, but its not like our D wasn't also getting it done. Regardless, at NO point did the people around us cheer. Ever. No C L E M S O N, no clapping, no OOOOOHHHH. Nothing. These are lower prime seats and these season ticket holding folks would have been more useful if they weren't even there. Seriously.

And there was effort and reason to cheer. We were down 2 after the half! Lead was cut, momentum Clemson, and the home crowd was listless. The students tried, the band tried, but the lower bowl hasn't changed a bit from when I was a student 20 yrs ago.

I say move the students to the sidelines and first 10-20 rows, or take LJ down to 1000 seats and make people wait in line to get in. I bet the atmosphere would be 100 times better. And seriously, don't try to blame it on the play: Clemson was making a push! The early morning and cold? Sorry we had to cheer on our NC winning football team. Somehow the kiddo and I still managed to cheer and even tried to encourage those around us.

Whatevs.. we have had an amazing weekend and are so fortunate to have the opportunity. It was disheartening to see the same apathy today that I loathed as a student 20 years ago.

Rant over. Smile on, so proud to be a Tiger!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

null

I bought season tickets from the Cliff Ellis

Jan 13, 2019, 3:39 AM

Era through the end of OP time at Clemson, and 90% of the games it was like the entire crowd was on valium. You never see the crowd try and energize the team when they’re flat like you do in Deatt Valley. I truly believe Clemson has the basketball program it deserves based on the passion of the fans. I bet there are less than a 100 Clemson fans that follow basketball recruiting the way over 10,000 follow football recruiting, there just isn’t any interest in the program. Some people will say the fans supported Rick Barns, but that just is
not true. They showed up for UNC, Duke, and Wake when they were ranked #2, but we’d have 6 or 7 games with less than 5k and 1 or 2 with less than 1K. The truth is if it wasn’t for ACC basketball TV money and ACC NCAA tournament money men’s basketball would lose money ever year. I wish more fans cared about basketball because I love it, but that’s just not reality, and people can make all the excuses for the programs failure, but it comes down to the fact not enough people care.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When LJ opened in December 1968, during my

Jan 13, 2019, 5:53 AM

senior year, we were proud of the new facility and concerned that the "spirit" of Fike would be lost.

Fike was always packed, hot, intense and loud, as students, fans, faculty and staff sat mixed to create an uproarous atmosphere. The cavernous reaches of LJ along with seating assignments were a problem then and appear to be the same now.

I know the administration is trying to look after donors, but I have long held that the students need to be courtside for maximum effect. Secondly, there has to be a coordinated effort among the student leadership to generate student attendance, especially via student organizations and among the GDI'S.

The AD has to evaluate our program, making critical decisions. Do we have the right staff in place? Our program is a business...like football. Clemson has spent millions upgrading our facilities, and now, it's time for the University to sh*t and get off the pot with the staff. Either we have the right crew in place or we don't. Either we have a crew that can coach and recruit mightily or we don't.

Regardless, there is an old adage I like: build it, and they will come! Start winning ball games, and the crowds will appear and cheer. I believe so, but it's going to take a heavily concentrated effort among the admin, staff and students, beginning with our BOT...the latter of whom must tell our President and AD: GET IT DONE!

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ALL of what is said

Jan 13, 2019, 10:04 AM

Is very true. Littlejohn needs to be more like the old Fike fieldhouse that I attended for EVERY game in the early 60’s.

It was a zoo. Much like the situation at Duke now .... except we had no wimmens! Under the present arrangement we take the real, vocal, passionate fans out of the game.

I remember a particular game when I was a student when the mighty Blue Devils with Art Heyman came to Clemson to play the hapless Clemson Tigers. No possible way the Tigers could win that game. As I recall, they didn’t, but Heyman and his team of all Americans got all they could handle from the team .... and students! We need more of that right now. Clemson IS NOT a tough place for visitors to play. In fact, they look forward to a road win like yesterday. That needs to change but I can’t do it. But the administration and students can change it. Let’s do it ... now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 3
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic