Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I wonder if tom Winkopp has his hands in this? ......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 35
| visibility 1

I wonder if tom Winkopp has his hands in this? ......

Oct 22, 2019, 8:57 AM

https://www.msn.com/en-us/finance/realestate/spend-forever-on-clemsons-campus-new-plans-to-build-cemetery-on-campus/ar-AAIXNqU

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Am I the only one who's getting really, really turned off by

Oct 22, 2019, 9:04 AM

the massive cash grab that CU has become?

20 years ago I would have sworn that I'd make sure at least one of my kids went there. Now, I truly don't care. It's not the same place I went.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hard for me to judge really.

Oct 22, 2019, 9:14 AM

But I'd wager it has changed too much. It all depends really on the people (students/faculty/etc.)

But since they are more selective, and everything is bright, new, shiny, and expensive, I'd wager the people have changed too. I KNOW the football fans have changed.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

No, we had our wedding there and they really pissed me off

Oct 22, 2019, 9:38 AM [ in reply to Am I the only one who's getting really, really turned off by ]

Two Clemson grads and they treated us like we were first semester freshmen. I still complain about that when they email me soliciting donations. Don't even get me started on how they handled basketball season tickets after the Littlejohn reno was done. CU truly does not GAF about anything but the bottom line, IMO.

I haven't gone to the past two home games due to baby reasons, it's honestly been kind of nice. Sure, I wouldn't get to look all boujee with my IPTAY sticker on my truck, but I think I could make do.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You're probably not too far from moving from Nashville then.

Oct 22, 2019, 10:00 AM [ in reply to Am I the only one who's getting really, really turned off by ]

I mean, cash grab and drastic change, and all...right?

WELCOME TO AMERICA, COMRADE.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

true post is true.***

Oct 22, 2019, 10:01 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpgringofhonor-obed.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MY Rock Hill and MY Clemson are both long gone.

Oct 22, 2019, 10:07 AM

And YOUR Greenville as well. I didn't think a thing abut it when my dad carped on HIS Rock Hill and his Clemson, but every generation ages to THAT point I guess.

Time to move to the last remaining frontier!

Amazingly Aynor, Kingstree, Johnsonville, Cades, Scranton

Oct 22, 2019, 10:09 AM

and Lake City haven't changed any since 1955.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We spent a large part of the summer taking long weekend

Oct 22, 2019, 2:29 PM

treks with the aim of not going via interstate to get where we were going. As we cruised through some of the small towns that haven't yet been discovered and transitioned by money, I kept thinking that someone with some influence could turn one of these depressed burgs into the next Austin for music, or Vegas for partying. There are a ton of little towns in the Carolinas that have nothing left in them but trailers and churches, so I would think it wouldn't be too much of a challenge to take one over and turn it into a lucrative destination. As much as we passed through the NC mountains over the summer heading to concerts, I was amazed at the fact that every little downtown of almost ANY size has embraced the tourist business and transformed from a dying town to a thriving destination.

Used to be possible, but not anymore.

Oct 22, 2019, 2:31 PM

Brad Wesley's thugs took out Wade, and then cancer took Dalton.

Who you gonna call now in 2019 to turn your club into a thriving upscale music venue?

Christ, I'm just like you.

Oct 22, 2019, 2:39 PM

I came up the hard way, from the streets of Chicago. You know, when I came to this town after Korea there was nothing. I brought the mall here. I got the 7-Eleven. I got the Fotomat here. Christ, JC Penney is coming here because of me. You ask anybody, they'll tell you.

oh, and a real reply:

Oct 22, 2019, 2:33 PM [ in reply to We spent a large part of the summer taking long weekend ]

I agree with you in theory, but in practice, I always though downtown York was way, way underperforming how cool it could be, and the Sylvia floundered needlessly on the music scene despite a lot of people's best efforts.

It could be different now I suppose, but 6-ish years ago I always just thought it was a diamond in the rough.

Just read an article about The Sylvia this past weekend.

Oct 22, 2019, 2:53 PM

The city of York is facilitating the sale of the theater in hopes of landing it with someone that will keep it a venue. That said, I'm not sure if totally agree about it being despite someone's 'best efforts'. Booking at The Sylvia was always weird. The owners never wanted to work in the traditional booking agent formula, and only took shows that were outside the control of agents. That only gained them top shelf talent when the talent was between contacts or acted as their own agent, which is rare for getting names that draw. Which totally explains why it was America's greatest tribute band venue over the last two decades. Even the up-and-comers that could have played there were given a weird formula of the band paying what amounted to a license fee of a few hundred dollars, and then were responsible for ticketing and promotion...which is nearly impossible for a band that on the road to pull off. If the band was from nearby and wanted to do a one-off show there, then yeah, maybe. It was never run as a music venue in the traditional sense. On top of that, they showed movies during the week to pay the bills. And not art and cult films that would have made it a destination theater, but first run movies that were competing with larger corporate theaters with more amenities and comfier seats. The final piece of their puzzle was to add in local talent, benefit shows, and small town things of that ilk. They couldn't seem to figure out how to compete alongside venues that have the formula down like The Evening Muse, The Neighborhood Theater, or The Visulite Theater in Charlotte. The Sylvia could still work, but they're going to need ownership that has a clue on managing a venue, a more clever booking schedule, and a solid knack for promotion.

ahhhh, good details...didn't know that. Back in 2009-2010

Oct 22, 2019, 3:05 PM

I was offered to buy a 15%-ish stake in the place, and I liked the sound of what they were trying, but realized I didn't know enough about the biz to make the investment and it was probably more a sentimental thing than financial that even attracted me to it. In other words, a fantastic way to lose money I couldn't afford to lose.

I tried to send some bands their way, but they just didn't

Oct 22, 2019, 3:31 PM

seem to want to do anything but unlock the door and sell the beer. And not local cover bands either, but acts that would draw. That said, NOW is the time to brush up on the business and put in an offer.

YOU CAN DO IT, OBED!

I think you REALLY have to like going out to eat to get the

Oct 22, 2019, 10:14 AM [ in reply to MY Rock Hill and MY Clemson are both long gone. ]

appeal of Greenville now. I spent a few weeks in Aurora, IL a few years ago, what I consider to be straight suburbia helll. Greenville feels like it's becoming that, and rapidly. Unless you just like being around thousands of other people at all times.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Ran home for the weekend a couple weekends ago.

Oct 22, 2019, 10:16 AM

I think the only thing that keeps my dad going these days is trying to find new and creative backroad shortcuts from East parkins mill to Woodruff rd.

The new roundabout on Verdae hasn't wrecked his world?

Oct 22, 2019, 10:20 AM

Seems like it has many in the area.

That would have done some good 25 years ago.

Oct 22, 2019, 1:48 PM

Remember the crash there in 1995? Killed 4 Mann students...it was right in that area...I knew three of em and the driver was doing about 120 in a 95 Maxima SE. Hadn't thought about that in probably 20 years.

Don't remember it, but that explains the police presence

Oct 22, 2019, 2:11 PM

on Verdae. My first 3 speeding tickets came from doing 60mph down Verdae.

My second fastest speed in a car was on Verdae.

Oct 22, 2019, 2:28 PM

Buddy's dad had a 1991 BMW M5....hit 150 on Verdae in high school.

That was stoooooooooooopid.

Re: Ran home for the weekend a couple weekends ago.

Oct 22, 2019, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Ran home for the weekend a couple weekends ago. ]

They recently added a connector around the back of Target where you can access the Costco and Cabela's lights and Target/Home Depot without ever having to get on Woodruff Rd. There are extra round abouts on the road though. I find them very efficient, others don't seem to like them as much.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

ROH

LOL...you talking about the one that dumps you right into

Oct 22, 2019, 1:41 PM

an apartment complex before dumping you into iCar?

yep, he took me on it.

Re: LOL...you talking about the one that dumps you right into

New Road.JPG(56.9 K)

Nope, not that one at all. It's a spur off Verdae before you get to the QT across from MD360.

ROH

ahhhh, ok, no, I have not tried that yet.***

It's great, but the real test of it's usefulness will be

Oct 22, 2019, 1:50 PM

the Christmas season when I need to get to Costco and back.

Also, my in-laws are on East Parkins. SMALL WORLD.

ROH

Another 4wheeling trail lost to progress

Oct 22, 2019, 1:52 PM [ in reply to Re: LOL...you talking about the one that dumps you right into ]

I drank many a beer and had relations with a few sloots back behind that Microtel Inn.

I LOVE Clemson and spending time there and all

Oct 22, 2019, 9:06 AM

but

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

MauldinT, where are you???

lol eligible alumni = how much $***

Oct 22, 2019, 9:11 AM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You should be grandfathered in so to speak. ******

Oct 22, 2019, 9:18 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Setting up his grandkids***

Oct 22, 2019, 9:12 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I wonder if tom Winkopp has his hands in this? ......

Oct 22, 2019, 9:25 AM

I don’t know but would not be surprised.

I still love going to Clemson and hope I always will. Would love to retire there. I know it has changed a lot but it sure beats the heck out of living in Gangland.

Yes, there’s something in these hills!

Go Tigers!!!

Hopefully he could be the 1st "resident"***

Oct 22, 2019, 9:26 AM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

https://as1.ftcdn.net/v2/jpg/00/81/16/28/1000_F_81162810_8TlZDomtVuVGlyqWL2I4HA7Wlqw7cr5a.jpg

I asked some folks that know about this w-t-eff

Oct 22, 2019, 9:39 AM

they said it's not a "cemetery", it's a columbarium where ashes are stored. Article reads like it will be a graveyard, and it was presented on WYFF like that also, where I saw it.

It will be a park with a couple structures something like this:

Even with that, not sure that makes it OK.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How much extra do you have to pay

Oct 22, 2019, 9:40 AM

To guarantee they will move you to Tuscaloosa when Dabo goes to Alabama?

Asking for all the bandwagon fans

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-cu85tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

“Anti-intellectualism has been a constant thread winding its way through our political and cultural life, nurtured by the false notion that democracy means that my ignorance is just as good as your knowledge.”
Isaac Asimov

This seem better.

Oct 22, 2019, 1:44 PM

https://www.digitalmusicnews.com/2016/03/21/your-cremated-remains-can-be-burned-into-a-vinyl-record/

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 35
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic