Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
I am learning that I really don't know how folks that
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 50
| visibility 1

I am learning that I really don't know how folks that

Mar 28, 2019, 9:02 AM

do home repairs for a living survive. While trying to simply remove the caulk from the tub, I've found grout where I don't think it should be, some caulk that is really dry and hardened and yet some other that is like bubble gum under a table. Gross. No matter the consistency, this junk does not want to come off.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Acetone is your friend

Mar 28, 2019, 9:04 AM

Fresh air makes it less effective. When you're using it make sure all doors and windows are closed.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I like your funny words magic man

Did your dad not teach you anything?

Mar 28, 2019, 9:05 AM

;)

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Not about fixing houses.***

Mar 28, 2019, 9:08 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

People who do it for a living....

Mar 28, 2019, 9:07 AM

know exactly how to remove it easily. They know exactly what tool to use, what solvent or whatever to use, and will make quick work of it. And you will pay them for it. And that is how it should be.

This is where youtube and the internet are the debil for home repair people. I've replaced toilets, run electrical wires, installed ceiling fans, and dish washers without needing a "professional". With the money saved, you can buy a better toilet, light fixtures, dish washers, etc. Take the costr for the labor to install the product and reinvest it in to the product itself. Sweet deal. All a factor of time though. If it takes a lot of TIME, pay for it. If it's quick, save the $$$.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

This dude fixes

Mar 28, 2019, 9:10 AM

if it's a major project, or deals with major issues. Pay somebody to do it.

Replacing the roof. Pay.

Fixing some shingles. DIY

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Toilets are an excellent example.

Mar 28, 2019, 9:15 AM

20 minutes to remove the old one and install a new one. Takes me longer to cook supper.

Pay $220 for a plumber to come out and install a cheap $90 toilet, or pay $220 for a $220 toilet that's awesome and never clogs, with a seat that doesn't bang or break or come loose, ever.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

$220?

Mar 28, 2019, 9:19 AM

I had a plumber come out at 11 pm on a Thursday a few months ago, remove a toilet, find the clog of 'pons and wet wipes, clear it out, put the toilet back in, for $285.

Those dudes are trying to screw you.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You'd be surprised how many home repair people

Mar 28, 2019, 9:27 AM

have hourly rates that rival lawyers. It should not have taken more than maybe 30 minutes or so to fix your toilet. At $285 that's an hourly rate of $500ish, or course subtract travel time. Still north of $300/hr.

How much was it worth to snake out some used 'pons and wet

Mar 28, 2019, 9:47 AM

wipes that were the reason the toilet was removed to begin with?

How tough is it to have a clean out pipe

Mar 28, 2019, 10:03 AM

ran to the outside of the house?

I don't have a 40' fish tape, do you?

Mar 28, 2019, 10:12 AM

That's not necessarily something I want to keep in a shed, either. In 25 years of owning a different houses, that's the only time I've ever needed one. Doesn't seem like wise investment.

I was told years ago

Mar 28, 2019, 10:27 AM

that when you have to make a repair, go ahead and buy the tools. After a few years of periodic projects, you'll have all the tools you will ever need.

This came from a green beret who has every tool you could possibly imagine in his "compound"

Less is more.

Mar 28, 2019, 10:46 AM

As I've gotten older and gotten rid of a bunch of junk I had collcted over the years, I've found i like that feeling of freedom more so than having a 20 year old fishtape sitting in teh back of a shed waiting for me to pull out at 11:30 at night to snake out some clogged up 'pons and wet wipes.

If it happened again tomorrow, I'd spend the $285 again to not have to mess with it.

I had some shingles in a house that didn't look to good.

Mar 28, 2019, 9:17 AM [ in reply to This dude fixes ]

I got up there, pulled a couple shingles back, found a piece of rotted plywood. Since it was around the chimney, i pulled the siding off to see what was going on there--more rotted plywood.

By the time the roofing guy got done with it, they had replace 6 pieces of rotted plywood around and beside the chimney, and all the shingles within 6 feet of it.

Moral? There is no small repair on shingles.

False: Had 2 runs of shingles fall still intact

Mar 28, 2019, 9:26 AM

when we first moved in. Crawled up there. put them back and hammered them back in.

Had wife of spray water on the spot while I was in the attic checking for leaks.

Problem solved

Took 30 minutes

You had 2 "runs" of shingles fall off your house?

Mar 28, 2019, 9:52 AM

Whats a "run"?

I call a run a left to right line of shingles***

Mar 28, 2019, 10:04 AM

And they just "fell off" your house?***

Mar 28, 2019, 10:13 AM

Slid down because they came off from the nails

Mar 28, 2019, 10:14 AM

since the ####### to put the shingles on didn't use the correct nails.

If they didn't use the correct nails there

Mar 28, 2019, 10:16 AM

like I said, you have more problems on the rest of your shingles.

Oh I know.

Mar 28, 2019, 10:21 AM

that's why I check my roof and attic periodically.

The old lady who lived there before she passed had most of the house remodeled. She hired some company that took her for a ride.

I'm finding ways they screwed her over every time I do work on the house.

It'll probably be easier to just move

Honestly, one of the better things I've done for my sanity and happiness was moving out of a POS house.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The house is solid

Mar 28, 2019, 10:29 AM

and I've already corrected most of the major issues.

Keep in mind I only work half a year.

Only thing I'm lacking right now is fixing the duct work insulation.

When they remodeled the master bed and bath, the company left the duct work laying on the ground. I've been under there and rehung all of it. I refuse to go through that again to re wrap it and no HVAC company will do it.

"house"***

Mar 28, 2019, 10:15 AM [ in reply to And they just "fell off" your house?*** ]

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I am pretty sure this is one I'd pay for next time.***

Mar 28, 2019, 9:12 AM [ in reply to People who do it for a living.... ]

Probably right. I always pay for painting.

Mar 28, 2019, 9:15 AM

Takes too long and I refuse to use a sprayer and do a half-ass job. So I let someone do it by hand and take a long time, and does it right.

do sprayers (or their results) suck?

Mar 28, 2019, 9:29 AM

twas thinking about picking juan up

Not really sure. Everything I've ever seen sprayed sucks

Mar 28, 2019, 9:35 AM

but that's usually because builder-painters do it. Maybe it doesn't if you can use a premium paint with one. Not sure. I just prefer the old fashion way because it goes on thicker and looks better.

I refuse to paint.

Mar 28, 2019, 9:30 AM [ in reply to Probably right. I always pay for painting. ]

I will pay somebody whatever they want to paint. But I'm not doing it.

I lack the patience and will fully admit that.***

Mar 28, 2019, 9:37 AM

Muriatic Acid. It will dissolve anything***

Mar 28, 2019, 9:17 AM

What about people?

Does it dissolve people?

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgbadge-ringofhonor-19b.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: What about people?

Mar 28, 2019, 10:26 AM

Lakebum1®

Does it work on hookers in large metal barrels?

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I don't know about dissolving

Mar 28, 2019, 12:24 PM [ in reply to What about people? ]

But some splashed back on me when I was getting the pool in order the other weekend. I knew right away that #### needed to get washed off, cause dem burnin feels.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If your caulk is dry and hard, you should probably put

some lotion on it.

Re: I am learning that I really don't know how folks that

Mar 28, 2019, 9:21 AM

I sweaterguy when I was building my cabin that if one looked enough on the interwebs one could find the exact opposite of the correct method. Even in electrical wiring.

I think this is what FBC does when he gets tired of shitposting.

You seem to have some horse sense. If things don't sound right they probably aren't. That said, internet is a wunnerful source of shitposting.

I never get tired of #### posting

Mar 28, 2019, 9:28 AM

I'm the Dean Karnazes of #### posting

I think it pretty easy to find the wrong way to do stuff.***

Mar 28, 2019, 9:37 AM [ in reply to Re: I am learning that I really don't know how folks that ]

Re: I am learning that I really don't know how folks that

Mar 28, 2019, 9:36 AM

You need a heat gun. Just be careful and don't burn yourself.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I do have a heat gun as of yesterday.

Mar 28, 2019, 9:55 AM

Seems to make the gummy stuff worse and have little to no impact on the other. Maybe i wasn't holding in on there long enough.

I keep finding out that my willingness to actually do

Mar 28, 2019, 10:04 AM

projects is a lot lower than I usually think it is at first. Especially tedious stuff. I'm willing to undertake a project if A) It involves mostly burning stuff B) Involves mostly destroying stuff or C) Most of it can be accomplished with the tractor

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Wnat to bring over your chain saw and help

Mar 28, 2019, 10:20 AM

take down that Bradford pear? I know I can chop it down with an ax but I want to slice it up to use in a fire pit.

I really wouldn't mind, the logistics just become a problem

Mar 28, 2019, 10:23 AM

How would I get home after consuming a 15 pack? I don't work outside and not drink beer.

make a reservation at aeroBnB?

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe I could golf cart home?

Mar 28, 2019, 10:29 AM

Once we get that room right I probably will

Mar 28, 2019, 10:48 AM [ in reply to make a reservation at aeroBnB? ]

attempt Air BnB with it. Being so closer to Furman should create interest.

We'd get you back one way or another.***

Mar 28, 2019, 10:48 AM [ in reply to I really wouldn't mind, the logistics just become a problem ]

Year and a half in

Mar 28, 2019, 11:15 AM

And I am doing more and more projects myself. Replaced rotted trim on a door and repaired rotted pieces of the jamb. Hanging crown molding. I am doing a drywall repair here soon. Have built shelves for my bedroom. Replaced all outlets and light switches in the house.

Its frustrating sometimes, but I always learn something and get the job done.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsonrulez08.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Please forgive me, @IneligibleUser

I'm very proud to see you putting that new saw to good use.

Mar 28, 2019, 11:18 AM

Just trying to patch a few holes has caused me to lose interest in hanging drywall myself.

Try not to ruin that manicure***

Mar 28, 2019, 11:19 AM [ in reply to Year and a half in ]

Replies: 50
| visibility 1
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic