Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
True Clemson Alumni fans --- I have a question here.......
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 23
| visibility 544

True Clemson Alumni fans --- I have a question here.......

Aug 23, 2019, 9:04 AM

Swinney: "He (Terry Don Phillips) was honored yesterday. I had kind of a unique privilege to be in on preparations of honoring him as an honorary alum. We presented him with his big plaque yesterday. He has all rights and privileges of a Clemson alum. It was a special moment with myself and President Clements was there and Dan Radakovich and former President Jim Barker. It was a really neat moment."

This is great and all, TDP is a great and humble man deserving of high accolades, but......

What rights and privileges does a Clemson alum have, and why am I not aware of them?

I don't remember getting any myself. I am not invited to special parties or able to go to private resorts, or even campus buildings that non-alums are, to my knowledge. I don't get special ticket deals. I don't have access to some secret inside contact list.

So I guess that means he's now on the solicitation list to get numerous invasive calls to give money to the Clemson Alumni Fund? THAT'S the only thing I am aware of that being an alumni gets me. Plus of course, being able to look down our noses at you unwashed non-alumni hangers-on ;)

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Well, he won't work for the University again

Aug 23, 2019, 9:10 AM

so there is that.

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Since you aren’t in the club I can’t tell you all the perks.

Aug 23, 2019, 9:15 AM

There must be a reason no one invited you.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I always knew that you people had rights and privileges ...

Aug 23, 2019, 9:16 AM

that us hangers on weren't afforded. ;)

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg2011_nascar_champ.gifringofhonor-celti_tiger-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Did you forget why you went to college?

Aug 23, 2019, 9:21 AM

That diploma and ring pay more dividends than the education, at least in my experience. Aside from having the right to say you had the best 4 years of your life there. Met your future wife there. Found and lost true love there. Had a blast there.

Then you have the diploma. The diploma means you get a leg up entering the job world. You are immediately "qualified" to do jobs far beyond burger flipping. It can open opportunities for you to network in your job, meet new people who share a common experience. Being a student at Clemson and being a fan are two different things. Each special in its own way, but different.

As time passes, some of those old memories fade. Life happens. You lose your appreciation for the journeys of the past when consumed by the present.

If, looking back, you can't identify the "rights and privileges" of your degree and attendance as a student, then perhaps you did not use them to their fullest. When I was watching my two oldest sons eating their Cinnamon Toast Crunch this morning at the kitchen table, I was enjoying at least in part, a right and privilege of having attended Clemson. I myself am a product of the rights and privilege of an older man who's in poor health now, who many decades ago had the opportunity to meet the woman he would spend the next 54 years with at Clemson.

You're looking in the wrong place.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

4 years, LOLUTZ.

Aug 23, 2019, 9:24 AM

You did it wrong.

BEST SEVEN YEARS OF MY LIFE.

ringofhonor-rhtig.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I went 5, but always say 4 because that's most people

Aug 23, 2019, 9:26 AM

Wife did it in 3.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-tiggity-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

2 years as a full time student, then 5 years as a part time

Aug 23, 2019, 10:14 AM

while working full time (sometimes a 2 different places), and a change of major. Left with a degree and zero debt.

Re: 2 years as a full time student, then 5 years as a part time***

Aug 23, 2019, 10:20 AM

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

High school friend did it in 4 years, working 70 hours a

Aug 23, 2019, 11:30 AM [ in reply to 2 years as a full time student, then 5 years as a part time ]

week full time, while a full time student. Sold his share in Explorers for north of 6 digits when he graduated. I'm just going to assume with less than zero student debt.

Oh yeah?

Aug 23, 2019, 2:19 PM

Well, my cousin knows a guy whose barber's son played baseball with a guy that graduated in 6 weeks with a 4.0 and made eleventeen trillion dollars in the stock market the first week of school by cornering the haggis market, and then won Star Search the day after graduation.

i made it in 9 years

Aug 23, 2019, 2:33 PM

sometimes i went to school sometimes i didn't even if i was enrolled
sometimes i was a dropout

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

but they didn't give TDP any of that

Aug 23, 2019, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Did you forget why you went to college? ]

what you mention.

That's basically why I found the quote (and I suppose the ceremony itself) so odd and quite frankly humorous.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

It's just a ceremony. Who cares anyway?

Aug 23, 2019, 10:01 AM

There are rights and privileges, but they don't come from a ceremony.

You get the privilege of being continually badgered for more

Aug 23, 2019, 9:25 AM

money, and the right to put a Clemson Alumni sticker on your vehicle.

My wife and I got married at Clemson and got the feeling they didn't really differentiate between two alums and incoming freshmen living in the dorms. Pay up and GTFO.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-lakebum1-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You weren't ever invited?

Aug 23, 2019, 9:28 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg2006_ncaa_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Maybe he doesn’t like goat blood.

Aug 23, 2019, 9:33 AM

It’s an acquired taste.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

You don't get the free handjobs at Nick's***

Aug 23, 2019, 9:32 AM

2024 purple level memberringofhonor-greenr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

how am I just learning about this?***

Aug 23, 2019, 9:35 AM

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why have you never dropped your pants in Nicks?***

Aug 23, 2019, 10:23 AM

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-aero.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'll hook u up w/ the deets

Aug 23, 2019, 1:03 PM [ in reply to how am I just learning about this?*** ]

...as long as you're cool with not getting paid, obviously

i'm use to not getting paid,rental property and all***

Aug 23, 2019, 1:07 PM

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

meng you gotta get yourself some better tenants

Aug 23, 2019, 1:23 PM

I haven't had probs with rent being paid since 2008

I get invited to many alumni events

Aug 23, 2019, 9:22 PM

they want $$$$.

Maybe he gets to buy a ring.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpgringofhonor-fatherg-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 23
| visibility 544
Archives - General Boards Archive
add New Topic