Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hunter Johnson
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 5
| visibility 1

Hunter Johnson

May 21, 2018, 4:37 PM

I hate to see him go. He is a great QB. But I understand it. I don’t think he is quite as good as TL but he might be. One thing that bugs me is I do think he is better than KB at the qb position right now. But I don’t see the coaches dropping KB unless the gap was huge. KB did well enough last year to warrant the nod. I think HJ left cause he probably was listed as third and honestly knows he’s better than KB. Maybe not as good of an athlete but a better qb. I guess I’d leave to. If I was better and a lesser qb was getting the nod, I’d go. You have to reward hard work and give the better man the job. If not, people will leave. They are going to have a hard time ignoring TL for KB if he does too well. Otherwise recruits won’t believe you when you say the best will play. Gonna be tough to manage this. Good luck Dabo.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Hunter looked prettier throwing the ball than KB.

May 21, 2018, 4:47 PM

But he also had happy feet and made some questionable decisions throwing the ball in the spring game. He certainly had a good arm and is talented. His couple of throws to Tee were not that impressive for Hunter when you look back at them. They were impressive that Tee came down with them and prevented a pick. Terrell could have had an easy pick on one if he had turned his head.

He's a great kid and I think he was a little nervous/anxious competing against KB and Trevor. He could have settled down, won the job and been a stud QB here. Trevor is just a freak though that never looks rattled. Most calm footwork I've ever seen for a freshman. Ever.

Snowflake Basher........Out

I agree - there's something there that's keeping......

May 21, 2018, 5:10 PM

him from progressing - either he's not cut out for our style of offense or he's just having a problem transitioning to major college ball. Or he lacks confidence - I don't know.

I'm not being critical as I like him. I just agree that there's something that's held him back.

Re: Hunter looked prettier throwing the ball than KB.

May 21, 2018, 5:15 PM [ in reply to Hunter looked prettier throwing the ball than KB. ]

I’ve said many times that the mental part of the game is what separated DW4 from everybody else. He remains calm. He doesn’t get happy feet. HJ has all the physical tools needed to be a great QB but it seems that he needs to get over that mental hurdle. Trevor Lawrence on the other hand appears to be a cool customer like DW4. Very poised in the pocket. Still I’m going to miss HJ and I believe he will reach his potential wherever he goes. Great athlete and a great young man.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Agree completely with your comments and it hurts

May 21, 2018, 5:12 PM

to lose Johnson because I agree that he is second best. If Lawrence were to get hurt, we'd be better off with Johnson than Bryant. That is a mouthful to say because Bryant built up a lot of equity in his first year as a starter. How many quarterbacks do people have that in their first year of starting go 12-2, win a conference title, and finish #4 in the nation. But the fact is, KB is limited on downfield passing and it was evident in the Sugar Bowl. Some might say it was against the eventual national champ and yes it was, but it was also evident in the spring game.

Our situation is not much different than it was in 2014, or Alabama and Georgia this season. The worst thing about Johnson leaving is if Lawrence gets hurt, then the best we have is Bryant and Chase. Can't blame Johnson at all though. He will be a power five starter somewhere.

Again, not putting Bryant down. He has built up a lot of equity, but I do believe Lawrence and Johnson both would be better against opposing defenses.

The good news is that this is not nearly the soap opera for

May 21, 2018, 6:26 PM

them as it is for us. Everyone is okay with Johnson, he's okay with us. Bryant and Lawrence will be the best they can be for 2018 and will support whatever happens. And don't go to sleep on Chase. If it comes down to him he could lead us to a NC. Its not really more complicated than that. We're good to go.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 5
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic