Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
The only reason I am not concerned about
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 28
| visibility 3,826

The only reason I am not concerned about

Jun 10, 2019, 2:51 PM

adding the most unsuccessful Bowden to our staff ... my absolute faith in Dabo's judgement,

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

How was he less successful than Jeff or Tommy?***

Jun 10, 2019, 2:53 PM

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How was he less successful than Jeff or Tommy?***

Jun 10, 2019, 2:55 PM

He was certainly less successful than Tommy. Shame on me I suppose, but I never heard of Jeff.

Terry won his divisionTWICE in 6 years in the SEC

Jun 10, 2019, 3:10 PM

How many times did Tommy win his didvision in 10 years in the ACC ?

Terry IS the best Bowden offspring HC. He did himself in the way he handled things at Auburn. He would have been better off walking away, instead of telling about all the crooks in the Booster club.

didn't he go undefeated at Tulane or was that Tommy

Jun 11, 2019, 12:35 PM

I know both were on the staff

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Terry won his divisionTWICE in 6 years in the SEC

Jun 11, 2019, 3:17 PM [ in reply to Terry won his divisionTWICE in 6 years in the SEC ]

Very true and most CF fans are misinformed or unaware of what happened at Auburn; following that, you could conclude that TB was blackballed by ALL of college football, even the sports media, for a time-IMO unjustly

You only repeated your original statement, you have yet to

Jun 10, 2019, 3:19 PM [ in reply to Re: How was he less successful than Jeff or Tommy?*** ]

offer an explanation, although not knowing who Jeff is is an indicator of your lack of knowledge on the subject at hand...I will assume you were just talking out of your ### and leave it at that

2024 white level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

He went undefeated. ***

Jun 10, 2019, 3:00 PM

By paying players.

Jun 10, 2019, 3:05 PM

to his credit wanted to stop it. but he won with the professional players.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Anybody that says Coach Brownell is the best coach to come through Clemson is going to start an argument." -JP Hall

He did that with Pat Dye's players. He may have been

Jun 10, 2019, 3:07 PM

cheating along the way, too, but Dye was old school Barry Switzer/Howard Schnellenberger dirty.

Re: He went undefeated. ***

Jun 11, 2019, 1:50 PM [ in reply to He went undefeated. *** ]

He had to call his daddy at halftime of games to get advice

His record is 175-114-2, and that includes the 35-52

Jun 10, 2019, 3:05 PM

stint at Akron. He's a waaay better football coach than Tommy.

Re: His record is 175-114-2, and that includes the 35-52

Jun 10, 2019, 3:15 PM

Jeff was OC at FSU for years. Terry is definitely the most successful Bowden child. He's an unpaid intern. He will probably watch film. This is definitely a good addition given he will have little to do with anything. Look at it how Saban hires tons of ex coaches for extra eyes on tape and such. That's what it is.

Re: His record is 175-114-2, and that includes the 35-52

Jun 11, 2019, 3:27 PM [ in reply to His record is 175-114-2, and that includes the 35-52 ]

Tommy Bowden left Clemson in way better shape than when he arrived replacing Tommy West

LOL. There are a BUNCH of coaches who would've

Jun 12, 2019, 10:40 AM

improved things after the last season West had. It's not like that was a monumental achievement. I've been around a long time and I've seen a hell of a lot of coaches come and go and I'm telling you without one ounce of hesitation or doubt that Terry Bowden is a much better FOOTBALL COACH than Tommy. Improving facilities does not constitute being a great coach, and that's primarily what Tommy did.

Re: LOL. There are a BUNCH of coaches who would've

Jun 12, 2019, 11:11 AM

Really? Perhaps you need to dust off your memory. Tommy brought the forward pass to Clemson which didn't exist in West and Hatfield years. He certainly had a short comings, but Tommy got this program moving back to respectability. His lack of consistency and plateauing is what did him in.

What did him in was his inability to hire effective

Jun 12, 2019, 12:39 PM

assistant coaches, and his propensity to make excuses and rest on the laurels of his name, and his inability to galvanize people, and his inability to motivate, and his contempt for the majority of fans, and losing games to teams we've should've beaten and in several cases we got curb stomped by teams we should've beaten or at least held our own with.

He hasn't been offered a coaching job since he left Clemson. Do you think that's because he's such a good coach? And don't tell me again 'wail, he harred Dabo'. Yes, he did, but it was the proverbial blind squirrel finding a nut. If he was such a clairvoyant, why did he also hire the coordinators and some assistants he hired that were such disasters?

Furthermore, it's mind boggling how people can take me saying Terry is a better coach than Tommy and turn that into me bashing Tommy. Nope, I didn't like Tommy Bowden as a coach. He was all about Tommy. He did some good things but he had shortcomings that some people just aren't willing, or able, to recognize or articulate.

Terry may be the more tarnished of the two, but it doesn't detract from his ability to actually coach and motivate better. Terry didn't ride the coattails of his daddy and a prominent coordinator into a prestigious job.

Re: The only reason I am not concerned about

Jun 10, 2019, 5:19 PM

Didn't he take Auburn to an undefeated season and get passed over for the n.c.? Maybe my history is scrambled.

Jun 10, 2019, 5:25 PM

In MHO, his wanting to come to Clemson for another degree is a compliment to Clemson's academic program. He could have gone to any school in the country. I also believe football programs at many other schools would have welcomed him as an intern. Appears to me this is a win/win for both parties.

badge-ringofhonor-joe21.jpgmilitary_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

True Joe, plus we "know" this is Dabo coming full circle,

Jun 10, 2019, 5:28 PM

helping out the brother of the man that got him back into coaching, and TO Clemson,showing as only Dabo can, Bowden is still part of the Family

^^^Plus One to both of you above... Joe21 and MRTTMT^^^******

Jun 10, 2019, 6:16 PM

Jun 10, 2019, 7:47 PM [ in reply to Re: The only reason I am not concerned about ]

Yeah I just wonder why this degree and why now. Just something to do or what? I'd be interested in his thinking

badge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-74tiger.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Probably looking toward an AD job later on....***

Jun 10, 2019, 9:58 PM

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I look at this as the coaching equivalent of laundering

Jun 11, 2019, 10:33 AM

money. We take a coach of questionable ethics, recycle him, clean him up, and spit him out the other side as a possible better functioning member of the coaching fraternity again.

That is what we all hope will happen. I personally do not know why Dabo thinks the positives outweigh the negatives in this situation, but I will trust his judgement until proven otherwise.

It IS entirely possible that Dabo is doing this as some sort of "Thank You" payback to the Bowden family in general for being given a second chance at being a football coach here.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I look at this as the coaching equivalent of laundering

Jun 11, 2019, 1:48 PM

The Scott and Bowden family are very close. If it was a favor it was to Brad & Jeff but I know Dabo would not have agreed unless Bowden would be an asset.

BTW since Dabo did not need our permission and has a great track record could we limit the posts with uniformed opinions?

Jun 11, 2019, 1:48 PM [ in reply to I look at this as the coaching equivalent of laundering ]

The Scott and Bowden family are very close. If it was a favor it was to Brad & Jeff but I know Dabo would not have agreed unless Bowden would be an asset.

BTW since Dabo did not need our permission and has a great track record could we limit the posts with uniformed opinions?

Jun 11, 2019, 1:48 PM [ in reply to I look at this as the coaching equivalent of laundering ]

Yesterday was 'Beat on Bowden,' day.

Jun 11, 2019, 1:43 PM

He's part of our family now. He's adopted into the family but we don't have to like him, we have to love him.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jun 12, 2019, 10:54 AM

adding the most unsuccessful Bowden to our staff ... my absolute faith in Dabo's judgement,

The reason you should not be concerned is you do not possess enough knowledge of the situation to make a reasoned assessment of the situation AND Dabo’s track record for making good personnel decisions.

Replies: 28
| visibility 3,826
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic