Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How good was our O-line? Me vs Clueless Guy on YouTube
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 14
| visibility 1,877

How good was our O-line? Me vs Clueless Guy on YouTube

Feb 4, 2019, 11:03 AM

Clueless: "Clemson would have the best offense in college history if they got an OL and a decent OL coach.?"

Me: "Um, Alabama had zero sacks in the Natty. Clemson finished 6th out of P5 teams in sacks allowed. 4th in the nation in rushing behind Memphis and two option teams. Tied for 1st with 6.6 YPA. 1st in rushing TDs. Etienne 1st out of P5 backs with 200+ rushes with 8.1 YPA by an ENTIRE YARD (2nd - Jonathan Taylor 7.1). All five O-linemen made the All-ACC team. They have a 4-star OL signed for 2019 and two 4-star OL's committed for 2020.

But yeah, they probably need some work.?"

Man I knew they were really good this year, but I didn't know the numbers were THAT good until I looked into it. Go Tigers!!!

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How good was our O-line? Me vs Clueless Guy on YouTube

Feb 4, 2019, 11:21 AM

some people just happen to know more than they don't.

Hope you are doing good ole friend.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonormyfavorange.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 2:05 PM

love it, and I'm going to use it. LMAO

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Feb 4, 2019, 11:35 AM

If you look back at the season as Trevor became more comfortable in the pocket the sacks became less. I expect the sacks to go way down next year with 4 seniors and an excellent sophomore as the starters on the O-line. couple that with Trevor getting more experience picking up the blitz's and his read option game started to take off. Is it possible to go the entire season with no sacks? I don't know but if anyone could this years team has the best shot.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The sad thing is that next year...

Feb 4, 2019, 11:44 AM

we'll have four very experienced seniors and a first round draft pick in his sophomore year on the Oline.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

sssshhhhhhh....

Feb 4, 2019, 12:16 PM

you are ruining the narrative that we lose everyone on both lines of scrimmage.

I have heard two different national radio shows claim that we lose almost everyone on the OL (and of
of course on the DL too). How can we be this good and yet no one knows anything about us?

Re: The sad thing is that next year...

Feb 4, 2019, 12:16 PM [ in reply to The sad thing is that next year... ]

I understand where you’re coming from 88 but the good news to me is the 3 commits that are coming in and the freshman from last year will get a lot of playing time...

I’m actually more concerned about the Dline and depth/experience.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

My fairly laymans opionion is that our line was very, very

Feb 4, 2019, 11:54 AM

good technically, but not physically dominant. There were occasions when they wore teams down and mauled (Cuse is a good example), but in the running game our OL was more of an "open up a crease for our incredibly talented backs" type of an OL rather than one that just reestablished the LOS several yards up field.

Overall they were really effective though.

LOVE those numbers. thanks for sharing. But....

Feb 4, 2019, 12:10 PM

.... the eye test is what I think confuses people. Yes, we have the stats, but it never felt like we were that physical at the point of attack. The Bama game may be an exception.

But glad to see the REAL numbers.... I'll take these over the eye test anytime!

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

Re: LOVE those numbers. thanks for sharing. But....

Feb 4, 2019, 12:20 PM

How much of the eye test has to do with how much we were rotating guys in/out on both lines. Someone casual that doesn’t follow Clemson just assume we’re like everyone else and play our staters the whole game.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

good point!***

Feb 4, 2019, 12:26 PM

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

..:: ru4god2 ::..

I think that's fairly accurate. Our OL was physical enough

Feb 4, 2019, 12:37 PM [ in reply to LOVE those numbers. thanks for sharing. But.... ]

to hold their grown and not get blown off the ball, but they weren't pushing guys back and reestablishing the LOS often either.

The "finesse" charge against us

Feb 4, 2019, 12:35 PM

was probably because of the way our O-line blocked. On run plays, we are a far more technical O-line than physical. We don't employ the old-time shoulder/drive blocks, but engage more in hand-checks and push blocks with leverage to get a crease and depend on RBs hitting the crease quickly. I certainly have complained about our run-block style for several years, but I can't argue with the results.

I'm starting to like this "finesse" stuff..... :)

"Bull in the China Shop" vs Classically Trained Technicians

Feb 4, 2019, 1:09 PM

Both will work at times . . . I prefer the latter, as they rarely get beaten by over stepping their ability.

Watching hand placements and leverages is a game in itself worth viewing, but can rarely be enjoyed from our vantage points in the stands. (This is why I enjoy the Sky-Cam version of the NC Game!)

Our success is in mastering the details. This is where Robbie's wisdom and ability to teach excels. I hope he never tires and he remains our OL Commander for many more years!!!!!!!

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

The sky-cam is pretty awesome. That view of Wilkins

Feb 4, 2019, 2:04 PM

splitting two defenders and nearly blowing up Jacobs on that 4th and 1 direct snap was incredible.

Replies: 14
| visibility 1,877
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic