Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How far Clemson football has come for me
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 6
| visibility 1

How far Clemson football has come for me

Nov 7, 2018, 2:51 PM

I attended this game. I'm a fan, not an alumni, so I don't have any Tommy West stories to add. But I was a road warrior for the Tigers.

The trip was two-fold. The Clemson/UNCheat game during the day, and AC/DC in concert at night.

Our seats were dead in the middle of the UNC booster section. It got bad pretty quickly. Mack Brown looked like a genius compared to West. The Tigers were totally unprepared for the onslaught.

There was a grandma Tarhole fan seated behind us. She waived that POS baby blue pom-pom in my ear for 3.5 quarters. I had finally had enough and gestured for my wife to leave. The Tarhole fans were unforgiving as we made our way up the steps. There was nothing to say. No response could justifiably counter 45-0.

Long live Dabo. May no future Tiger fans endure what I endured that infamous day in Chapel Hell.

http://articles.latimes.com/1996-09-01/sports/sp-39785_1_north-carolina

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How far Clemson football has come for me

Nov 7, 2018, 3:59 PM

I have a very similar story. As a graduation/Christmas present I was given Gator Bowl tickets to see my Tigers play Syracuse in the 1995 Gator Bowl. Technically it was the 1996 Gator Bowl following the 1995 season. Just so happened to be the last game we played prior to the 1996 UNC game that you had the pleasure of attending.

We were so confident going into that game. I remember Clemson fans everywhere in Jacksonville on New Year's Eve. The next day the entire world knew about Donovan McNabb if they did not already. I remember Brian Dawkins chasing receivers all over the field all day. We could do nothing right. And the weather was rotten as it rained all day.

Worst part was it was a gift from my coot brother and his family and they went to the game with us. Had to listen to that all the way home. Worst gift ever.

Thankfully that memory is in the distant past.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2018, 4:24 PM

This is like a therapy session.

I sat through 2 Boston College games with Matt Ryan. I watched us ###### defeat out of the jaws of victory by blowing an 11 point lead with about 2 minutes to go in the game thanks to a botched punt. Triple overtime loss to Miami in the loudest game I have ever attended. Watched us beat #10 Miami on TV one Saturday and drove up to Durham the following Saturday and watched us lose to Duke on a last 2nd 55 yard field goal.

Watched us lose to Virginia for the first time in Death Valley EVER!

Watched Tommy Bowden take Reggie Merriweather out of the game in the 4th quarter against the coots when they simply could not stop him only to watch Aaron Hunt botch the field goal that would have tied the game.

Sat through 2 losses to the coots during the 5 year streak that just further deepened my disdain for them. They were good but we shot ourselves in the foot continuously. Their fans were just unbelievable.

Then we hire Dabo and discover we can beat the teams we are supposed to beat and many of the teams we are not supposed to beat! Now we ARE one of the teams to beat!

Dabo !! Dilly Dilly!!

Nov 7, 2018, 4:37 PM

Aaron Hunt hit a game winner versus the coots. I believe you’re thinking of Jad Dean on the miss.

Nov 7, 2018, 5:05 PM

Yes you are correct - Sorry Aaron Hunt!

Nov 7, 2018, 4:32 PM

Sat through Boston College game at their house, in the fog, watching Doug Flutie take us to the cleaners.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Nov 7, 2018, 4:42 PM

My worst had to be the fla state punt Russkie. It was cold, raining and we had the game. Our tickets then were two rows from the top. I couldn’t sit so I walked the entire top of the deck praying and thanking God fir us pulling this game out. The unthinkable happened and it seemed like I could have just reached out and tackled him. Obviously two miles high I couldn’t. We got back to the motor home parked in the mud on the old ball field and it got stuck, got out started pulling up the hill to leave and the #### thing shut off. After many escapees in trying to get up the hill we ended up going the wrong one down backwards against 80,000 people leaving. Turned out both gas filters were clogged

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

Replies: 6
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic