Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
How do you defend against our offense?
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 16
| visibility 1

How do you defend against our offense?

Oct 21, 2018, 7:12 AM

State had a game plan and stuck to it, rather inexplicably...stop the run at all costs and "make the freshman beat you". The freshman did that, and then some. By the third quarter, I figured Doeren would adjust....back off of our receivers some, pull the safeties back into coverage more, etc. They never did, and the hits kept coming...

But what could State have done?

With a QB who can throw a 30 yard pass on a rope for an 8 yard completion, a RB who doesn't go down easily, and a stable of WRs that has no comparison this year, it's a tough one to figure out...

And, no, this is not Willie Taggart...

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: How do you defend against our offense?***

Oct 21, 2018, 9:52 AM

knock the QB out

Oct 21, 2018, 9:54 AM

- Dave D

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

get him on his back, make him uncomfortable...

Oct 21, 2018, 12:47 PM

We'll be ready for Death Valley...

Stat if second half: that's not us...

lulz.

#neveragain

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_nascar_champ.gif flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

...and the Best Is Yet To Come!

Oct 21, 2018, 9:55 AM

nm

Re: How do you defend against our offense?

Oct 21, 2018, 10:18 AM

If it comes to it Bama will grab, mug and pull down our wideouts (with no calls because Saban) and leave 7 guys to play the run and take cheap shots at Trevor, Travis and anybody else holding a ball.

This was what I wanted to post too.

Oct 21, 2018, 10:26 AM

I think the way we have played. It's hard to defense.

For a balance offense, like its name suggest--balance, meaning such team will likely have equal passing and rushing plays. Also, it could mean that such team may need both type of plays to be successful. If, say, the team couldn't rush, it may affect the ability of the offense to pass and vice versa.

Now, for us, it's been shown that we can be successful either way. And I think it's much harder to defend.

Oct 21, 2018, 11:25 AM

FLAME throwers and riot batons ????????

null

Oct 21, 2018, 12:02 PM

State had the best gameplan on defense and the score was more lopsided because they could not move the ball on offense at all. The defense got a lot of stops despite being put in bad situations from the very start. Clemson offense struggled at times and the narrative would have been different if NC State offense was scoring.

No defense can overcome the offense just not moving the ball.

Before the half, it was 21-0 and state had the snap fumble, then got the stop, then threw and int, then got another stop and held them to a FG. Clemson had so many points off of turnovers but there was resistance and they couldn't run the ball at all. The run was totally shut down. Thats the recipe.

Bama will play the same way on defense, give up a lot of points as well but their corners will be able to cover one on one which will make it much more difficult for TL. States dbs are known for not being great in coverage.

At the end of the day, no one can stop a balanced offense.

Oct 21, 2018, 12:26 PM

I honestly think they didn’t think TL was as good as he is...I mean Ross and Higgins were getting just straight man coverage...give me a break.

I’m sure St anticipated him being good with his arm but not as cerebral as he was...We have got a really good QB folks...This is the piece we need that makes this team Watson-like complete.

military_donation.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"We the people are the rightful masters of both Congress and the courts, not to overthrow the Constitution but to overthrow the men who pervert the Constitution." - Abraham Lincoln

Oct 21, 2018, 12:33 PM

And he gets better with every game. He will be amazing by play-off time.

Oct 21, 2018, 12:36 PM [ in reply to Re: How do you defend against our offense? ]

If NC ST put more players in coverage, then we would have hurt them running. Pick your poison.

Oct 21, 2018, 12:43 PM

An elite front 4 will be confident that they can contain our running game with their base fronts. That's the way we play other teams. We won't see any of those until the playoffs. It will then come down to who wins more one on one match-ups. DW4 vs Bama. Those 2 games,were epic. Expect the same. The rest of the regular season you play zone and try to mix coverages and looks. You don't hope we make mistakes. Good luck!!!

Oct 21, 2018, 12:44 PM

Correction. You hope we make mistakes!

First you need some critical components.

Oct 21, 2018, 12:58 PM

You need players as talented at their jobs as our players are at theirs. You'll need skill development for all those players which equals or exceeds the skill our players have developed at each position.

In order to do that you must find coaches who have the abilities our coaches have. I'm leaning toward believing that it takes not only more potential mental ability and experience which develops the better football minds but also the moral character to find and recruit the top talented players who have the moral obligation to do their best on and off the field.

That includes classwork, outside class studies, year around workout and dedication to being their best for the sake of their teammates and not selfish greed which drives so many players to live and play to suit their personal lust for uncomely pleasure. It is that selflessness which motivates them to develop to be their best and perform as a team rather than playing for themselves or doing things which confound their goals and ours.

You'll also need the support of your fans when times are difficult. You'll need the fans to show up to games and produce the economic benefits which make it possible to build the facilities which are needed to attract top players and talent.

It starts with good faithful fans and ends with what is produce on the field. That isn't to say we aren't blessed of God to have found a man of faith and kids which represent us well on and off the field. We are certainly grateful to our coaches and players and all of those who support them and us in our quest to be the best. I choose thank all.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpgringofhonor-clemsontiger1988-110.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Oct 21, 2018, 12:59 PM

He was forced to stay with the stop the rush defense because he could not afford to let clemson have success rushing and use up the clock. I guess he was hoping for interceptions to get the ball back. Didn’t work!

Oct 21, 2018, 1:00 PM

You run stunts with a linebacker attacking from different points (left, middle, right) and basically commit to blitzing every play. That is the way all teams that have had success against Clemson have done it.
That said I am sure the OC's are getting TL and the rest of the offense prepared to recognize this and use it to their advantage.
Typically you identify where the pressure is coming from and make a quick pass to the second level that was just vacated by the blitzing linebacker.
NCSU tried to blitz several times and after ETN missed his block badly you saw other backs rotated in that did a great job of picking up the extra rushers for plays down the field. The reason you try the quick release is if they bring multiple extra rush you just don't have the numbers kind of like the screen to ETN that went 24 yards.
This is still our offenses weakest link and against teams with better front sevens we have work to do. But, the success we had against NCSU has me very optimistic that we can make this one of our strengths. ETN has the most work to do, both Choice and Feaster had some great blocks. Even Lynn-J threw his body into a hit. He played really tough. ETN has to realize that he just needs to engage first then use his legs. He sees his man then lunges and often misses. Engage then push with all you got.
He'll get there.

Replies: 16
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic