Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Hoops team looking good in Italy. What should we
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 11
| visibility 1,987

Hoops team looking good in Italy. What should we

Jul 5, 2019, 3:22 PM

... what should we read into this so far?

Hemenway appears to be a solid pure shooter from the short clip I saw.

Are The Finland and Ukraine teams good?

Does doing well over there this summer provide any particular insights into the actual potential for this team during the regular season?

What do y’all think?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hoops team looking good in Italy. What should we

Jul 5, 2019, 3:47 PM

I think winning is better than losing. As for the comp, are we playing just an average university team from the other countries or is it an all star team or what? I am not sure of that. It certainly can only help us playing competitive ball but idk what level of comp it is. Is this more like playing CoC or is it like playing power 5 teams?

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Jul 5, 2019, 4:26 PM

Perhaps we should avoid reading anything into it. We should also avoid expectations for our basketball program. We have a decent program which is equal to the support provided by the university and fans. Simply go along for the ride and enjoy the competition.

These trips are normally very good for

Jul 5, 2019, 5:53 PM

team chemistry. How that translates is anyone's guess. I look at our roster with the injuries and guys like Honor and Moore who as of now are not eligible to play this year and I have a hard time seeing how we compete in a now 20 game ACC. We have no size, and without Honor and Trapp, just one PG.

With a small team you'd like to play fast, but we dont really have the depth to do that. These international games are normally very fast paced, but here we are winning in the fifties. A slower tempo with no size and just 1 PG is not a recipe you see many teams winning with

Re: These trips are normally very good for

Jul 5, 2019, 6:19 PM

Good points Strpperfan!

One more thing to point out is that Brad’s best 2 teams besides his first year left over OP team — KJ led team that went to the Final Four of NIT to NY, and the team that went to the sweet sixteen team 2 years ago both played a summer tour of basketball so this year’s team can get the chemistry that those two teams played you mentioned.

I think Hemingway played the PG some yesterday and can play that position.

I think this year’s team can develop the depth at wing with so many 6-3 to 6-7 players. If we hit a lot of 3s we can be similar to Va Tech under Buzz the last few years. 4 guards/wings, and one type of post player. Do we have the talent to do that though, is still the question...

VT played fast though

Jul 5, 2019, 6:51 PM

so far in these 2 games we haven't exactly pushed the tempo. Hemenway didnt play today according to the box, which was odd.

Re: These trips are normally very good for

Jul 5, 2019, 6:51 PM [ in reply to These trips are normally very good for ]

have to respectfully disagree about depth/being able to play fast. we have a lot of G/wing types who are pretty interchangeable. all of the guys who will get minutes can put it on the floor, with the exception of jemison. will we will small? yes. will we be very good.. who knows at this point. getting one or both of moore and honor eligible would be huge. Moore may have the higher upside but honor may be more important because of the position he plays. from what i can gather, odds are better with moore, but we're dealing with the NCAA here. they do strange things. nothing is certain.

badge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

If both Moore and Honor are ineligible

Jul 5, 2019, 9:43 PM

we'll have 9 healthy scholarship players to begin the year. That's not deep. I think Moore is eventually eligible, but we still lack the size to really play the way we normally play, controlling the tempo. But with just 1 PG I dont see how we run more, especially with him being a true freshman.

I have no idea how we'll play come the fall, but not much appears different these first two games. Against the athletic bigs we'll see in a 20 game ACC, I'm just not sure how we match up against that. Double down on D and you leave shooters wide open. Have Simms guard 1 on 1 and he's 3-4 inches shorter than the guys he's playing against

I Think That The Clemson Team

Jul 5, 2019, 6:13 PM

that starts the NCAA season will be significantly different than the World University Games team. The transfers that will have to sit out a season per NCAA rules are eligible for this tournament.

Jul 5, 2019, 6:15 PM

Very hopeful. Excited to see what this team looks like as they continue to gel.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

I'm hesitant to call close wins over Finland and Ukraine

Jul 5, 2019, 7:16 PM

"looking good". Maybe if they are national all star teams but still those aren't exactly powerhouse basketball nations.

Jul 5, 2019, 7:35 PM

I'm guessing what we should read into it...its still Brownlee ... unfortunately.

Replies: 11
| visibility 1,987
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic