Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Brownell says no changes to the basketball program.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 69
| visibility 1

Brownell says no changes to the basketball program.

Apr 12, 2019, 9:21 AM

So, those who want more resources for the basketball program? Fuggetaboutit.

The slow death continues.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program.

Apr 12, 2019, 9:25 AM

SO SNOWFLAKE WHAT OTHER RESOURCES DO WE NEED. WE CERTAINLY NEED TO LAND AN OCCASIONAL STUD RECRUIT BUT WHAT DOES THAT HAVE TO DO WITH RESOURCES. MAYBE YOU BRAD HATERS CAN GET TOGETHER AND COME UP WITH A SECRET FUND TO BUY A FEW OF THESE KIDS LIKE OTHERS ARE DOING.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We don't need a separate fund, we just need a new check box

Apr 12, 2019, 9:29 AM

on the NewSpring giving envelopes.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Aspiring member of the TigerNet Sewer Dwellers

I like them the weigh they are.

Apr 12, 2019, 11:57 AM

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpgringofhonor-classof1994.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why do dogs always race to the door when the doorbell rings? It's almost never for them.

LOL! Whats Perry up to nowadays anyway?

Apr 12, 2019, 12:35 PM [ in reply to We don't need a separate fund, we just need a new check box ]

Maybe he can become an assistant basketball coach and help Coach B win more games. You know..money and resources etc.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

That's a question for Judge Keller et al.

Apr 12, 2019, 9:29 AM [ in reply to Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program. ]

dimwit.

The definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and HOPING for a different outcome. That is Clemson basketball.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

But we aren't doing the same thing over and over.

Apr 12, 2019, 11:35 AM

You and others like to refer to these long, hard, awful 9 years with Brownell as our coach, but seem to minimize the fact that we have only had the new facility for 3 years and the staff additions for 2 years. In the two years since he has had what he spent the first 5+ years of his tenure asking for and working for, we have won 20 games both years. One of those years was a Sweet 16 season and this year, while disappointing, was still a 20 win season.

I think it's clear that the last two years have been encouraging. I know people are concerned about next year, but let's see how things go in terms of possible roster additions, incoming freshmen, and player development before we start declaring next season a failure.

Don't you think that's reasonable?

If nothing at all had changed over the past 9 years, I would agree with you that we are doing the same thing over and over.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Re: But we aren't doing the same thing over and over.

Apr 12, 2019, 12:12 PM

Also, as we saw in the NCAA tournament, that it's all about guard play. It used to be about big men back in the day. We have 3 really good guards coming in, so Brad may be turning the corner. I think in 2 years we will know for sure whether Brad needs to stay or go.

Hello Ms. Judge.

Apr 12, 2019, 12:27 PM [ in reply to But we aren't doing the same thing over and over. ]

How many wins do you feel are expected next year, and if we dont make the tournament, then do you agree its time to part ways?

Re: Hello Ms. Judge.

Apr 12, 2019, 12:35 PM

I don't think we need to go to the tournament next year, because we are not expected to make it. I think we will need see some young players looking like the future is bright though. Also, we need to see what recruits he gets next year.

Great goal! Sigh.***

Apr 12, 2019, 12:36 PM

Re: Great goal! Sigh.***

Apr 12, 2019, 12:41 PM

We will be really young and we lose a lot of players. This past season the tournament was expected. Next year it would be a touch of a surprise.

Huge surprise

Apr 12, 2019, 1:32 PM

fify

Tournament is the goal and should be expected in year 10***

Apr 12, 2019, 2:55 PM

Re: Tournament is the goal and should be expected in year 10***

Apr 12, 2019, 4:42 PM

Why? Every season is a new season. We should have gone this year, but we're losing a lot and will have a really young team next year. Going to the tournament is a good goal, but I don't see why we should expect in next year.

For some reason I'm reminded...

Apr 12, 2019, 9:48 AM [ in reply to Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program. ]

of BaseballFan (a/k/a practiceguy) and his insipid defense of Larry Shyatt.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Sometimes good things fall apart so better things can fall together.

Re: For some reason I'm reminded...

Apr 12, 2019, 10:30 AM

IF YOU GOOBERS THINK I WAS SATISFIED WITH THIS YEAR THEN YOU REALLY ARE EVEN MORE STUPID THAN EVEN I THINK. BUT HEY, GUESS WHAT, BRAD IS OUR COACH AND UNTIL DRAD SAYS DIFFERENTLY HE WILL GET MY SUPPORT. WHEN I HAVE CONCERNS I EITHER EMAIL DRAD OR EVEN THE COACH HIMSELF. I AM CERTAINLY NOT GOING TO DOG THEY GUY IN PUBLIC FOR EVERY KID WE MAY BE TRYING TO GET TO COME HERE TO SEE. I WAS ALSO A BIG LEGGETT GUY BUT HIS STUBBORNESS GOT HIM CANNED. IT WAS TIME. DRAD GOT THAT ONE RIGHT. WHY NOT LET HIM DO HIS JOB IN THIS CASE.

Re: For some reason I'm reminded...

Apr 12, 2019, 12:29 PM

LOL I’m sure most kids come to TNet first before they make their decision. Is this the reason CBB can’t get the right players to Clemson ? If they did you would be the first one that stuck out as dang Clemson fans are idiots.

Apr 12, 2019, 9:55 AM [ in reply to Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program. ]

Did someone forget to take their Geritol this morning??

His Geritol pill got stuck under his caps lock key.***

Apr 12, 2019, 11:02 AM

null

Message was edited by: RC Tiger®

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2019, 11:02 AM [ in reply to Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program. ]

MIGHT BE OLD BUT I BET MY LEFT ONE I COULD PUT YOU TO BED, PASS OUT OR THROW UP. YOU ARE AS OLD AS YOU FEEL.

Im with you. I always found it weird how people hear loud noises when

Apr 12, 2019, 12:25 PM

they read capital letters.

Sure is easier to type that way. Maybe they should try reading differently?

And not a darn thing wrong with Geritol either. Eveyone gets old, if fortunate enough.

Apr 12, 2019, 2:23 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program. ]

deroberts said:

MIGHT BE OLD BUT I BET MY LEFT ONE I COULD PUT YOU TO BED, PASS OUT OR THROW UP. YOU ARE AS OLD AS YOU FEEL.

You bet your left nut you could pass out or throw up? What??!

Apr 12, 2019, 9:57 AM [ in reply to Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program. ]

Caps lock key is on left ...

So you’re saying we need to land a stud recruit but it has nothing to do with resources.

I think that’s the point many are saying. Why is there always the default excuse of resource constraint for the BB failings.

When we landed CJ as a notable, marquee FB stud there weren’t nearly the resources of today. It takes vision and enthusiastically selling that vision.

I don't think that is a fair comparison.

Apr 12, 2019, 11:52 AM

The West End Zone was completed for Spiller's freshman season, so I'm sure that construction was something he saw on recruiting visits. Plus, we still had a good football history, not to mention our traditions and reputation for great fan support.

This isn't to diminish the great recruiting job that the coaches then did to get Spiller, but signing a top football recruit when you have a roster of over 85 guys, and sign many more recruits each year, is a lot easier than it is in basketball when you sign only a handful of guys each year for a much smaller roster. Plus, as we've all discussed, recruiting to Clemson for football is much easier than it is for basketball, and that was true in 2006.

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

Disagree totally

Apr 12, 2019, 4:21 PM

You can build a basketball program very easily with one or two top recruits

Brownell has never gotten one much less two top recruits

but he is also playing against some teams that have TEN All Americans

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-20yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Come on derob, the word resources is synonymous with the word

Apr 12, 2019, 12:32 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program. ]

win. Geez, he just needs 5 more years to allow improved resources to kick in.

Apr 12, 2019, 4:34 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program. ]

Lighten up Francis......Go Tigers!!!!

Apr 12, 2019, 4:38 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program. ]

Francis you definitely need a Personality adjustment........and an Anger Management course would not be a bad idea while you are at it.....Go Tigers!!!!!

Apr 12, 2019, 10:05 AM

There was a great article posted yesterday on tnet that compared the opposite progression of Clemson b-ball and NC State b-ball.

Excellent breakdown of why the two teams are in the state they’re in now and what direction they’re headed. Spoiler alert, Tigers aren’t headed in a good direction... opposite of state.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg2016_pickem_champ.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2019, 10:27 AM

I was just confused when he said that we needed to play a slower pace than he would have liked last year and that he hoped to play 9 or 10 guys with a faster pace next year. Do we even have 10 young men on the roster?

I didn't know he said that. That doesn't make any sense.

Apr 12, 2019, 10:34 AM

He only played 6 players any significant minutes. He has a history of not trusting or playing his bench and not wanting to play fast.

That will be interesting to see him suddenly change his playing style and willingness to play his younger players in year 10. Given how few players played last year that we will be counting on this year, I guess he has no choice.

Right now he has no choice but to play

Apr 12, 2019, 1:35 PM

younger players, only two upper class men on the roster and no seniors

Apr 12, 2019, 5:27 PM [ in reply to Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program. ]

I’d be shocked to see him play that many players. Especially since he’s never done it, and seems pretty set in his ways. 7-8 man rotation is what he’s comfortable with.

Apr 12, 2019, 10:34 AM

Shouldn't take long then until it's time for me to take down my bobble-head doll.

There is one key change

Apr 12, 2019, 10:41 AM

That he needs to make. Injuries to key players have really hurt recently so he needs to cut down on that Important stat!

That's where the lack of recruiting and the inefficient use

Apr 12, 2019, 10:47 AM

of scholarships going unfilled or filled with players who are sitting out or players who transfer out is hurting us.

These excuses would sound better in years 2,3,4 or 5, but in year 9, they're getting a little stale.

Apr 12, 2019, 10:59 AM

That's not what he said. He said there would be no "drastic" changes.

Attendance dropped below 7,000 per game this year?

Apr 12, 2019, 11:03 AM

I would imagine it will be a good bit worse next year.

i think we could be bad next year - sub .500 is very

Apr 12, 2019, 11:04 AM

possible

DRad knows that too.

Apr 12, 2019, 11:07 AM

And it doesn't seem to concern him.

Please tell us how you know this doesn't seem to concern

Apr 12, 2019, 11:54 AM

DRad. Have you asked him about it directly? Are you involved in closed door meetings he has had with Brad and his staff?

Do you know what the word "seem" means?***

Apr 12, 2019, 12:12 PM

I know exactly what it means.

Apr 12, 2019, 12:27 PM

And I think it's ridiculous that you are drawing conclusions based on what "seems" to be the case based on very very limited data.

Limited data?? sigh..***

Apr 12, 2019, 12:31 PM

Okay, please tell us why the basketball program doesn’t seem to concern DRad.***

Apr 12, 2019, 12:38 PM

Not sure where I said that. He is concerned, and he expects

Apr 12, 2019, 2:57 PM

to win. Now. Regardless.

It's year 10, Judge. Coach B has had 10 years to build it. And please, please, please don't start with the facilities stuff. He's had ample facilities to win.

Let me say it one more time. We know that next year

Apr 12, 2019, 12:39 PM [ in reply to I know exactly what it means. ]

will be a struggle. DRad knows that too. From a management perspective, it makes zero sense to delay a management decision that you know is inevitable a year from now. He has no intentions of firing Brownell next year no matter what happens. That means, he knows we will struggle next year and he is fine with that.

Coach Brownell and D. Radakovich had very high hopes for this year given the sacrifices of previous years while a team of fifth year transfers was assembled. This year was a great disappointment for Clemson basketball.

I agre with what you're saying.

Apr 12, 2019, 3:01 PM

But it appears Brad is here for another year, regardless of the data. All we can do now is hope beyond what the data has already shown.

I do however think Brad has been tasked with getting to the tournament or else. He has a one year loan on the youth factor. Coach them up and get in. Period. DRad hasn't given him license to lose.

seems like drastic is the only change that matters***

Apr 12, 2019, 11:03 AM [ in reply to Re: Brownell says no changes to the basketball program. ]

Re: seems like drastic is the only change that matters***

Apr 12, 2019, 12:20 PM

I don't think drastic changes are necessary for a program coming of back-to-back 20 win seasons.

I know, you would think that we are just awful

Apr 12, 2019, 1:14 PM

based on many of the posts here lately. If you read the posts and criticisms of our coaches and players, you would think that we finished at the bottom of the ACC.

Re: I know, you would think that we are just awful

Apr 12, 2019, 1:39 PM

20 win seasons aren't awful, but they arent that big of a deal. Virginia won 35. Anyway, it's about going to the tournament. Every season where we don't go to the tournament isn't a success.

Even one looking at a complete rebuild

Apr 12, 2019, 1:40 PM [ in reply to Re: seems like drastic is the only change that matters*** ]

with realistic chances of another NCAA big 3-4 years away. Next year, we'll struggle mightily. 2020-21, likely over .500 but not an NCAA team.

I always hope to be shocked, but the next two years do not look good

Re: Even one looking at a complete rebuild

Apr 12, 2019, 1:44 PM

I think we will go to the tournament the year after next if we can add quality big man.

Not unless we find guys who can score

Apr 12, 2019, 2:02 PM

is anyone on the roster now a go to scorer? And there is no way to project any of our incoming freshmen in to that role? Top 100-200 recruits are normally developmental.

I'm always hopeful of being surprised, but there is a total lack of offensive skill returning, and freshmen at Clemson are freshmen, not Zion

Re: Not unless we find guys who can score

Apr 12, 2019, 2:10 PM

We will have 3 or 4 of them. Chase Hunter, Hemenway, Baehre, and I also think Hunter Tyson will develop.

Baehre averaged 7ppg at Asheville

Apr 12, 2019, 2:31 PM

kind of iffy to count on him being a go to guy. Tyson either, unless he takes a huge leap. Hunter and Heminway are unproven freshmen.

Counting on them is all about hopes and dreams, not reality

Re: Baehre averaged 7ppg at Asheville

Apr 12, 2019, 2:41 PM

I know Hunter and Hemenway will be really good and they will both be scorers. I am not worried about either. I think Tyson will take that huge leap by the year after next, but time will tell. Baehre scored 28 points and grabbed 14 boards in the NIT. He is just coming into his own. I expect him to be a stud.

We can only hope

Apr 12, 2019, 2:47 PM

as none of them has proven anything, especially in the ACC

I'm not seeing what you're seeing in the kid

Apr 12, 2019, 2:54 PM [ in reply to Re: Baehre averaged 7ppg at Asheville ]

Hemenway from Indiana.

Re: I'm not seeing what you're seeing in the kid

Apr 12, 2019, 5:53 PM

He busts 3's. Something that we needed. He has shot over 500 3's in his career and hit 43% of them. He obviously needs to mature and get stronger and a touch quicker, but I like his upside watching his film. He has a nice shot. I think he will be really good in a few years.

Apr 12, 2019, 5:35 PM [ in reply to Baehre averaged 7ppg at Asheville ]

I really don’t get the unrealistic expectations we have for Baehre. He averaged less than double figures against considerably worse talent than he’ll be facing in the ACC. Plus it’s unfair to heap that kind of pressure on him. Recipe for disaster.

Apr 12, 2019, 6:00 PM

Probably because he can shoot 3's and the game he had against So Cal where he scored 28 in the NIT, blocked 5 shots, and hit a few 3's.. He came into his own later in the season. He needed to mature and get stronger. I guess people are thinking that extra year of hitting the weights will also make a huge difference. I am expecting big things. There is no pressure on him. Most students and fans don't even know who he is. I doubt he reads Tnet.

Apr 12, 2019, 2:10 PM [ in reply to Not unless we find guys who can score ]

The same idiots saying that we return nothing next year and we are going to suck are the same ones saying that Purnell left Brownell a great program.

In Brownell's third year we had Milton Jennings and Devin Booker as the only upperclassmen on the team. The hypocrisy is outstanding.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Apr 12, 2019, 2:14 PM

Brownell's 3rd year it was up to him to recruit talent.

The NCAA Tournament team OP left him should have

Apr 12, 2019, 2:24 PM [ in reply to Re: Not unless we find guys who can score ]

jump started his recruiting. We're still waiting. 9 Years into the Brownell era and Oliver Purnell is responsible for half of Brad's NCAA Tournament appearances.

Even a blind squirrel could recruit decent basketball players to Clemson right now.

Apr 12, 2019, 2:15 PM

Also, people are way over-reacting to our personnel the next couple years. Last class and this upcoming class are the two best consecutive classes Brownell has had. We also add Baehre who is apparently a stud.

Also Brownell said at the most recent Prowl and Growl that Jemison is really starting to come on. He apparently wasn't able to practice until December which really hampered his progression. This all makes a lot of sense as he looked raw in his limited minutes.

We may struggle next year, but I look to the year after to have a really solid team.

2024 purple level member flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

We got a chance to see what last year's recruits can do.

Apr 12, 2019, 2:29 PM

It's gonna be a tough year next year.

Last years recruits will progress

Apr 12, 2019, 5:12 PM

But Brad has yet to have one take a monumental leap, which is what we need to happen

Replies: 69
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic