Tiger Board Logo

Donor's Den General Leaderboards TNET coins™ POTD Hall of Fame Map FAQ
GIVE AN AWARD
Use your TNET coins™ to grant this post a special award!

W
Big Brain
Love it!
Cheers
Helpful
Made Me Smile
Great Idea!
Mind Blown
Caring
Flammable
Hear ye, hear ye
Bravo
Nom Nom Nom
Take My Coins
Ooo, Shiny!
Treasured Post!

YOUR BALANCE
Before you post that you want us to get Wofford's coach.
storage This topic has been archived - replies are not allowed.
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic
Replies: 82
| visibility 1

Before you post that you want us to get Wofford's coach.

Mar 23, 2019, 3:23 PM

I would like to remind you that he has been at Wofford for 17 years, and did not win 20 games in a season until year 8. He has six 20-win seasons in his 17 years there.

He has won 55% of his games there. Seven of his 17 seasons there have been losing seasons.

They are great this year, and he's a solid coach, but let's not get carried away.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"All those 'Fire Brownell' guys can kiss it." -Joseph Girard III

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

expectations for Clemson basketball at the D1 level

Mar 23, 2019, 3:29 PM

should be higher than those at Wofford. Period. Wofford can be extremely successful, and not reach the NCAAT. No issue with that.

I don't understand the logic behind giving an ACC coach a pass in year 9, after only 2 NCAAT appearances, and 4 years with ZERO postseason... ESPECIALLY when he's at a place where two previous coaches built a winning program and consistent NCAAT team.

Why does he get a pass for not doing what they did... and they had to deal with the same issues you want to throw out for BB.

badge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Why are you bringing up Brownell?

Mar 23, 2019, 3:35 PM

That is not the point of my post. My point is that many of our fans get infatuated by the latest trendy coach or player. I've seen posts talking about how great Wofford's coach is. There is no denying that they have had a great season, but his performance at Wofford wouldn't fly at Clemson, especially among fans here who seem to think Brownell is awful.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

"Everybody needs to know that Coach Brownell is arguably the best coach to come through Clemson." -PJ Hall

I haven't seen that many saying it would, or that they want

Mar 23, 2019, 3:40 PM

him...

but for you to say your post isn't about BB is crazy

I didn't mention Brownell in my post.

Mar 23, 2019, 4:02 PM

If you want to talk about Brownell some more, please feel free to start a new topic.

why does BB get a pass?***

Mar 23, 2019, 4:03 PM

We've been over this in other threads.

Mar 23, 2019, 4:09 PM

Ad nauseam.

But again, if you want to discuss it more, feel free to start another thread.

so you have no answer?***

Mar 23, 2019, 4:09 PM

Re: so you have no answer?***

Mar 23, 2019, 6:02 PM

badge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: so you have no answer?***

Mar 23, 2019, 6:57 PM [ in reply to so you have no answer?*** ]

If you haven't been able to read them in the other threads, why should we assume you are willing and literate now.

flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: I haven't seen that many saying it would, or that they want

Mar 23, 2019, 11:39 PM [ in reply to I haven't seen that many saying it would, or that they want ]

No, his post is about critical fans.

Guess who showed up?

I stiil would like to know why BB gets a pass

Mar 23, 2019, 3:41 PM [ in reply to Why are you bringing up Brownell? ]

when other coaches succeeded with the same issues-- or even worse issues

Re: Why are you bringing up Brownell?

Mar 23, 2019, 5:53 PM [ in reply to Why are you bringing up Brownell? ]

The point is You believe Brad is the greatest thing since slice bread and Clemson can not do any better than Brownell.....it is always the fans, administration, players, etc fault but never Brownell’s when we lose a game......the most important piece of a successful basketball program ‘s puzzle is the head coach......that is why some of these smaller schools make it to the Big Dance consistently and do very well when they get there......I have nothing against Brad but when it comes to coaching he is average at best......and yes I think Clemson CAN get a better coach whenever that time comes......next year is his 10th I think and I don’t see this program making it back to the dance any time soon based on what we loss this season and have coming back and in the pipeline......do you..... Go Tigers!!!!!

That's not close to being what I think.

Mar 23, 2019, 9:54 PM

I do think Brad is a very good coach, and solid recruiter, and he has overachieved at Clemson relative to our program's history and current level of support. I don't see how any realistic Clemson fan can be disappointed by his tenure given the fact that we fund basketball so poorly and have such inconsistent fan support.

As I've stated many times, I believe our goal as a program should be to make the NCAAs every year. I also believe that Brad is capable of getting us there. However, for that to happen, we must support basketball at Clemson better. So for you to say that I think what we have now is the best we can get, that is absolutely wrong. I just don't think changing coaches is likely to improve what is currently a middle of the pack ACC program, and it could make it a lot worse.

Re: expectations for Clemson basketball at the D1 level

Mar 23, 2019, 3:41 PM [ in reply to expectations for Clemson basketball at the D1 level ]

Answer: Failure is accepted in the BB program at Clemson. Don't see this changing. Must admit, I'm not a BB fan, so I could care less. Don't follow it.

Mar 23, 2019, 4:01 PM

dgcannon39 said:

Answer: Failure is accepted in the BB program at Clemson. Don't see this changing. Must admit, I'm not a BB fan, so I could care less. Don't follow it.

It would be if you hired the right AD.

TDP specifically wanted to improved the basketball program when he was hired. That's why he hired Oliver Purnell.

DRad's only goal is to improve facilities and ride the success
of Dabo and the football program, bring up the lagging terrible programs. He is afraid to make a splash hire in bkball and his legacy if things got worse.

Then why do you seem to always post in basketball threads?***

Mar 23, 2019, 4:03 PM [ in reply to Re: expectations for Clemson basketball at the D1 level ]

Mar 23, 2019, 4:24 PM [ in reply to expectations for Clemson basketball at the D1 level ]

Snowtown® said:

should be higher than those at Wofford. Period. Wofford can be extremely successful, and not reach the NCAAT. No issue with that.

I don't understand the logic behind giving an ACC coach a pass in year 9, after only 2 NCAAT appearances, and 4 years with ZERO postseason... ESPECIALLY when he's at a place where two previous coaches built a winning program and consistent NCAAT team.

Why does he get a pass for not doing what they did... and they had to deal with the same issues you want to throw out for BB.

Why would CBB need a pass in year 9 when he won 20 games and made the postseason. Not sure how familiar you are with Clemson basketball history but this is a heck of a successful season.

Mar 23, 2019, 4:35 PM

Snowtown® said:

Why would CBB need a pass in year 9 when he won 20 games and made the postseason. Not sure how familiar you are with Clemson basketball history but this is a heck of a successful season.

I would point out he accomplished 20 wins without the luxury of recruiting JUCO players, marginal academic guys or buying players from the AAU handlers. All three are stables of the hot coaches many of you covet

20 wins is hardly an indication of a great season

Mar 23, 2019, 5:34 PM

anymore. Larry Shyatt won 20 games once

Re: 20 wins is hardly an indication of a great season

Mar 23, 2019, 5:39 PM

Two years in a row with a sweet 16 appearance and an NIT???

Being in the NIT is hardly an accomplishment

Mar 23, 2019, 5:43 PM

for Clemson, seeing as we've been there more than any other ACC school. Especially with a team coming off a Sweet 16 with 4 returning starters and in the preseason top 25

Making the NIT is a lot harder than it used to be.

Mar 23, 2019, 7:35 PM

Simply finishing .500 is no longer the requirement to get into the NIT. If it were, we would’ve been in postseason play 8 of Brad’s 9 seasons at Clemson.

Butler, Texas, Nebraska, Arkansas

Mar 23, 2019, 8:15 PM

Providence and Alabama were in the field this year at .500 or just 2 games above. You're just flat wrong

I’m not wrong. Please look back at the NIT field the last 10 years.

Mar 23, 2019, 8:24 PM

There are very few .500 teams.

Mid-major regular season conference champs who don’t get into the NCAAs are now automatic bids for the NIT. It’s much harder that it used to be for major conference teams to get in. That’s why there are other tournaments now, like the CBI, because there are some solid teams who qualify for postseason play.

I guess that's why we've never paid to be in

Mar 23, 2019, 8:40 PM

the CBI? You're grasping if you think a deserving ACC team is getting left out of the NIT. What year when we were around .500 did we get screwed? 6 teams within 2 games of .500 in this years field

Re: I guess that's why we've never paid to be in

Mar 24, 2019, 7:45 AM

We were above .500 in 2012, 2015, and 2016 yet didn’t make the NIT. It does actually seem marginally more difficult to get into the NIT now than it did in past decades. I do remember in the past thinking if we can get to 15 wins at least we will be in the NIT. Of course, this is not really a great argument for keeping a coach if our goal is the NCAAs though!

Being in the NIT is hardly an accomplishment

Mar 23, 2019, 5:43 PM [ in reply to Re: 20 wins is hardly an indication of a great season ]

for Clemson, seeing as we've been there more than any other ACC school. Especially with a team coming off a Sweet 16 with 4 returning starters and in the preseason top 25

Mar 23, 2019, 6:01 PM [ in reply to Re: expectations for Clemson basketball at the D1 level ]

Really.....thought we had 4 starting seniors coming back and were a pre-season Top 25 team in most polls......am I missing something....cause I don’t think we were invited to the Big Dance.....Go Tigers !!!!!!

He'd be a terrible hire. Give me a young black guy similar to

Mar 23, 2019, 3:29 PM

a Tony Elliott. Someone with a great story who can relate well to recruits. Young, energetic and hungry up and coming assistant coach from a great program.

That's what I think Clemson bball needs. No idea who that guy is.

We need a guy who can spot talent and coach it

Mar 23, 2019, 4:04 PM

Race or age doesn't matter

Need a young guy. Age matters imo.

Mar 23, 2019, 5:53 PM

Race to lesser degree but id prefer minority

Re: Need a young guy. Age matters imo.

Mar 23, 2019, 7:51 PM

Race should never matter

Go Tigers! Once A Tiger Always A Tiger

I think it's important on a relational level.

Mar 23, 2019, 8:32 PM

A lot of basketball players are black guys and have had experiences in life that is difficult to understand unless you have lived those situations.

That's just real life stuff. I think all coaching staffs have minority coaches on their staff for those reasons. It's important to have those types of mentors in these athlete's lives.

Of course it doesn't have to be a head coach. But Clemson basketball has so many inherent disadvantages, if you could find that Tony Elliott type of guy... A young assistant who can relate on such a real level and looking to prove himself...that's my ideal candidate.

Re: Need a young guy. Age matters imo.

Mar 24, 2019, 4:17 AM [ in reply to Re: Need a young guy. Age matters imo. ]

You are absolutely correct, in that race shouldn't matter but, unfortunately, it does and in a big way. With a majority of players being black, it is important to have coaches with whom they can relate and have shared life experiences.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-05yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Yeah, but he needs the University...

Mar 23, 2019, 3:30 PM

Athletic dept and adminstration to help him in more and better staff and funds for recruiting.

They lag behind most schools in the NCAA in this regard.

Would you not agree??

Re: Before you post that you want us to get Wofford's coach.

Mar 23, 2019, 3:42 PM

I agree Judge . I am looking at Wes Miller from UNC Greensboro. He's only 36 and he's been SoCon coach of the year twice and having a great year this year .
He's young and seems to be hungry . But , yes, his mentor was Ole Roy .

Hiring coaches based on potential is always going to be.

Mar 23, 2019, 3:50 PM

... a crap shoot.

Case in point:

A young coach from Army comes to Duke and creates a dynasty.

How do you know that guy when you see him?

What was the “tell” on young Mike Krzyzewski that gave any indication of what was to come.

Why do so many other solid up and comers end up failures at the next level?

badge-donor-15yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Re: Hiring coaches based on potential is always going to be.

Mar 23, 2019, 7:54 PM

Absolutely true

You’re still at it, huh?***

Mar 23, 2019, 3:54 PM

Re: You’re still at it, huh?***

Mar 23, 2019, 4:02 PM

I respect anyone that has that many posts and points like the Judge.

However, his schtick of defending Brownell has become old, predictable and quit frankly nauseating. We get it, you like Brownell(at an unhealthy rate) but there comes a point where one has to stop. He’s went beyond that point and I don’t think the judge understands it.

I'm not defending Brownell as much as I am our program.

Mar 23, 2019, 4:08 PM

I think it's ridiculous to see so much criticism of our coaches and players on here, when most "fans" doing the whining and complaining have no idea how poorly we support basketball at Clemson. I regularly see comments acting like we pay Brownell an astronomical salary, and acting like we deserve a medal for upgrading Littlejohn, and when the top recruits and huge wins don't come rolling in, it must be because our coach stinks.

I do think Brad is a great coach who has done a lot given the really hard job Clemson is. As I've said before, I am open to us going in a different direction, but only if it means a much improved environment for basketball at Clemson (i.e., better support from administration and fans).

Finally, if you think my defense of the program is nauseating, I hope you also find the ridiculous criticism of our program nauseating as well. Most of my posts are in response to those criticisms.

you are changing course now... you have vehemently defended

Mar 23, 2019, 4:11 PM

BB... now you make a subtle change...

Why do you loom past the fact that other coaches succeeded here, with worse issues... and still give BB a pass using that excuse.

Why?

Your internet stalking of me is concerning.

Mar 23, 2019, 4:13 PM

I haven't changed course at all.

I guess this thread was switching to a

Mar 23, 2019, 4:25 PM [ in reply to I'm not defending Brownell as much as I am our program. ]

He was also transitioning them from D II to D I

Mar 23, 2019, 3:58 PM

In those first 8 years, a program with less historical tradition than us. Funny how you completely leave that out. Look at his last 10 years since that transition was completed. They are now very formidable as a low major. From nothing

You're right, he's amazing and we would be lucky to have him

Mar 23, 2019, 4:10 PM

and he would set the world on fire at Clemson.

Better?

funny how you called out someone earlier for these type of

Mar 23, 2019, 4:12 PM

"sardonic" posts

he gave you facts, and as usual, you deflect or ignore

Okay.***

Mar 23, 2019, 4:14 PM

You cited how long it took him to start winning

Mar 23, 2019, 4:27 PM [ in reply to You're right, he's amazing and we would be lucky to have him ]

I gave you the primary reason, which you conveniently ignored to fit your narrative. If I remember correctly Young interviewed when BB was hired. So if there is an opening at some point, I'd expect him to get a strong look based on what he's done since that last interview.

Re: You cited how long it took him to start winning

Mar 23, 2019, 7:34 PM

How about Young's

13 win season in 12/13
15 win season in 15/16
16 win season in 16/17

and those were after his first run.

You want to fault a coach of not following up a NCAA bid, Young has done it several times.

Next, you state that they are only D1 as of the 90s and that is true but that isn't uncommon. Wofford had a few decent NAIA and decent basketball history before.

5 conference championships in 10 years***

Mar 23, 2019, 8:18 PM

I’m not ignoring anything.

Mar 23, 2019, 7:43 PM [ in reply to You cited how long it took him to start winning ]

The facts are that he has coached his team over the past 17 years to an overall record barely above .500. Yes he had some losing seasons early on, but also as recently as two years ago. I don’t understand the fascination with him being this amazing coach, especially one who would be likely to succeed at a program like Clemson. Maybe it’s because he is a local coach. I can’t imagine this much love for him if he coached a small school in Missouri.

Would you take a rebuilding year along the way

Mar 23, 2019, 8:26 PM

for 5 conference championships over a 10 year period? A couple of those when Davidson was ruling the SoCon. The guy knows how to build a team. He knows how to spot under the radar talent. He gets his players to play his offensive system at an extremely high level. You take his first 7 years out of the equation when they were moving up and adjusting, and he's well over .500.

Why wouldn't you look at a local guy like that with local recruiting relationships and a stellar reputation? We sure did when we hired Brad and his resume is only better since then

Re: He was also transitioning them from D II to D I

Mar 23, 2019, 4:11 PM [ in reply to He was also transitioning them from D II to D I ]

I have applied for the job as head BB coach. Linchpins of my program: Free beer, and bring in a bunch of attractive hoes. We go undefeated and win the national championship.

Mar 23, 2019, 4:05 PM

So you’re saying it took him 8 years to get to 20 wins and now he’s winning 20 games almost every season. Hmmmmmm you’re argument sucks judge

LOL, he had a losing season two years ago.

Mar 23, 2019, 4:12 PM

And also the season before that.

Mar 23, 2019, 4:12 PM [ in reply to Re: Before you post that you want us to get Wofford's coach. ]

Judge? Recall, here come the judge, here come the judge.

JUDGE KELLER = PAULA BROWNELL ??????

Mar 23, 2019, 4:29 PM

Gotta be a hidden agenda here...either BB's wife or a serious man crush...

Re: JUDGE KELLER = PAULA BROWNELL ??????

Mar 23, 2019, 5:28 PM

coachmac said:

Gotta be a hidden agenda here...either BB's wife or a serious man crush...

If it was Paula Brownell she would just tell you to F off. I take that back, Paula is much to nice and far to classy to tell you that but someone should tell you that.

All Judge has done is point out facts to people. Over and over and over. Some people are just too thick to get it. Here ya go, back to back 20 win seasons, 5th postseason in 9 years. 2 NCAA appearances with advancement. Not to mention graduating guys and no off court problems. Not buying players or hiring their dads either. My god our fan base sucks and it’s embarrassing. Drop mic.

I'll weigh in...

Mar 23, 2019, 5:36 PM

Judge started this thread with something like 'before y'all start drooling over the Wofford coach' just as the Wofford team (btw - the best team in the state this year) finished up within 6 points of Kentucky. Now if you didn't want opinions on Young, Clemson and or Brownell then don't start the thread. Judge and you can present all the facts your internet searches can produce, but some folks want to be in the Big Dance more often. My take....Judge started it. ;)

The only fact that matters is Brad has a lower

Mar 23, 2019, 7:09 PM

percentage of post season appearances than any coach since Cliff Ellis except for Larry Shyatt

That’s a very misleading stat and you know it.

Mar 23, 2019, 8:58 PM

Cliff Ellis made 5 NITs at Clemson. Here are our records in those NIT seasons (prior to the NIT): 16-12, 17-13, 14-14, 16-12, and 16-15.

Rick Barnes made 1 NIT at Clemson. Our record that year prior to the NIT was 15-12.

Larry Shyatt made 1 NIT at Clemson. We were 16-14 when selected.

Oliver Purnell made 3 NITs at Clemson. Our record when selected for those NITs was 16-15, 18-14, and 21-10.

In contrast, Brad Brownell has missed the NIT at Clemson in seasons we have gone 16-15, 16-15, and 17-14. As you can see, these records were sufficient in years past for the NIT, but not anymore.

It is rare these days for a team with less than 17 wins to get into the NIT. For example:

In the 2018 NIT, the lowest win total was 17 (2 teams). Three teams had 18 wins, five teams had 19 wins, and twenty two teams had at least 20 wins.

In the 2017 NIT, the lowest win total was 17 wins (2 teams). Three teams had 18 wins. Five teams had 19 wins. Twenty one teams had at least 20 wins.

The only year we may have a gripe is Brad's

Mar 23, 2019, 9:10 PM

second year when we were 8-8 in the league. Those other years we as usual struggled to beat good teams. If their is one thing that's obvious, whether it's the dance or NIT, those doing the selecting care a lot about who you best.

Also remember the ACC was much smaller when Cliff, Barnes and OP were coaching. The NIT wants ACC teams. How many ACC teams were in the NIT those years we weren't selected under Brad? Probably just more deserving league teams than us would be my guess

You're still downplaying how much harder the NIT is

Mar 23, 2019, 10:36 PM

to get into these days.

Starting in 2006, the NIT began awarding automatic bids to mid-major teams who won their conference's regular season but not their conference tournament. This left much fewer available spots than in years prior.

Starting in 2007, the NIT was reduced from a 40 team field to a 32 team field. That reduced the available spots further.

These three Brad Brownell teams did not get an NIT invite:

2011-2012: 16-15 overall, 8-8 in ACC (7th in ACC); there were 11 automatic qualifiers that year.
2014-2015: 16-15 overall, 8-10 in ACC (9th in ACC); there were 12 automatic qualifiers that year.
2015-2016: 17-14 overall, 10-8 in ACC (7th in ACC); there were 15 automatic qualifiers that year.

As you can see, the NIT is much more difficult to get into now.

Given all of that, there is no way these previous Clemson NIT teams would've made it into the current NIT:

1987-1988 (Cliff Ellis): 14-14 overall, 4-10 in ACC
1993-1994 (Cliff Ellis): 16-15 overall, 6-10 in ACC
1994-1995 (Rick Barnes): 15-12 overall, 5-11 in ACC
1998-1999 (Larry Shyatt): 16-14 overall, 5-11 in ACC
2004-2005 (Oliver Purnell): 16-15 overall, 5-11 in ACC

Re: The only fact that matters... (Loooong)

Mar 23, 2019, 9:47 PM [ in reply to The only fact that matters is Brad has a lower ]

Isn't Judge's loyalty.
Nor is it your (plural) obnoxious disloyalty.

It's DRad's loyalty.

My opinion doesn't matter much, because i don't pay BB's or DR's salary. But it means just as much as some of you lynchmobbers' (that's not a racial reference, since lynchmobs have an inglorious history that precedes the KKK) opinions who also don't contribute a dime.

If you're going to be disloyal to our current coach, do us all the favor of removing your TigerPaw lapel pin when you dine with your Duke cronies tomorrow.

No, i don't get to establish an artificial litmus test for who is a true Tiger. Neither do you.

For the last 10 days you've become increasingly obnoxious about wanting the second-winningest coach in Clemson history fired. Debate, argue, research and recite stunted statistics all you want.

But now you've moved the goalposts: now you're berating Brownell's defenders?

What are you going to do if DRad doesn't fire BB the instant he steps off the plane after he returns to Clemson following the end of our season? Berate DRad? Crap your diaper? Burn your Iptay card? I know one thing you won't do: you'll never burn your "wannabe a Dookie" undershirt.

Do me a favor: don't introduce yourself at the next game. I have no desire to know you in your real life.

Are you talking to me?

Mar 23, 2019, 10:02 PM

Where have I called for Brad to be fired? I'm on the record all over this board that he's back next year unless he leaves on his own. Now after next year, I think it's a foregone conclusion he's let go unless they basically come out of no where. Next year looks bad, and coaches in year 10 normally dont survive those type years. That said, I'll be pulling for them tomorrow, and every game next year, no matter who the coach is. My hope would be we shock the world, but I dont see that honestly.

But after 9 years I do firmly believe Brad's tenure has run its course. It happens. He's been here longer than anyone since Cliff in like forever. If he's here next year, and it's as bad as it looks on paper, it will be a bad situation for him and the school. I really don't want to see that. I like the guy

Re: Are you talking to me?

Mar 23, 2019, 11:33 PM

Sorry I didn't see this thread when the very negative posters were polluting it, but since you are the most critical one I can reply to who has posted recently, then yes, I'm talking to you.

If Judge wants to be loyal to BB, he has earned that right. And so has Brownell.

You gonna wear your TigerPaw to church tomorrow? Or are you embarrassed that we're only in the NIT?

We are now the last SC school playing men's basketball this season. And yes, it matters to the Chickens, Chants, Paladins and Terriers, if not to us.

How have I denigrated Judge?

Mar 23, 2019, 11:45 PM

We disagree on the future of the program. I think barring a miracle after next year the decision on Brad is automatic. I said I'd be pulling for them tomorrow, and next year. I don't pull for any coach to fail so that they are fired, I want them all to succeed. I supported Brad for years.

But things run there course sometimes. Whether that's this year with Brad leaving on his own, or next year after what looks like it will be an extremely tough year, eventually it's happening. Next year is going to be a step back, and in year 10, that's not a good situation for the coach or program.

And I dont believe church is for team colors, our focus should be on far greater things

I'll add that while they have a good team

Mar 23, 2019, 5:46 PM

They jack a bunch of 3s and that ain't gonna fly in big time basketball. Just look at McGees stats against top teams for proof of that.

Kinda like Clemson??

Mar 23, 2019, 6:05 PM

Live & Die by the 3 and until we recruit guys who can shoot WELL, things will never change here and the program will continue to fail until a change is made at the top. BB doesn't know offense and everyday is Groundhog Day in Clemson basketball land.

Re: Kinda like Clemson??

Mar 23, 2019, 6:28 PM

FYI the program is not failing.

You looked at next year?***

Mar 23, 2019, 8:29 PM

Re: You looked at next year?***

Mar 23, 2019, 8:44 PM

Next year hasn’t happened yet and you nor anyone else knows what is going to happen next year. Smh

Unless we shock the world

Mar 23, 2019, 8:47 PM

next year is going to be a very long year. Very likely to be picked dead last in the league based on what we have returning. Maybe BC will bail us out on that

Re: Unless we shock the world

Mar 23, 2019, 10:41 PM

https://theacc.com/news/2017/10/26/mens-basketball-duke-voted-acc-basketball-preseason-favorite.aspx

Picked to finish 13th in the preseason media rankings for 2017-2018. BC and Pitt bailed us out on that one. Still had a pretty good season despite the preseason rankings.

Who cares about preseason rankings. Let's let next season play out.

2024 white level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

When we've been picked low we've normally

Mar 23, 2019, 11:04 PM

over performed, but most of those times we've had veterans leading the way. Next year we'll have one senior in White, 3 juniors in Simms, Baehre and Trapp, 4 sophomores in Newman, Tyson, Jemison and William, and the 3 incoming freshmen. That leaves 2 open scholarships. We could really use two impact grad transfers, and by impact I mean starters. That happens we could surprise. But the roster as it stands now looks like one that will really struggle

I would like to see us get Rayjon Tucker from Arkansas-Little Rock.

Mar 23, 2019, 11:32 PM

He averaged 20 points per game for them as a guard/forward. He is originally from Charlotte and we actually recruited him in high school. He is a redshirt junior, and as a grad transfer he would have one year to play. He will be a hot commodity this offseason.

I think we have a shot seeing as how we

Mar 23, 2019, 11:52 PM

recruited him out of high school and he's from Charlotte. He's a PG and that's a huge need next year. But he'll be one of the hottest transfers out there with some big dogs coming after him. Landing him would be a coup and a big leg up on next year not being as poor as it looks right now. We land him and another shooter who can play immediately and we could surprise next year. We need offensive production badly next year

Mar 23, 2019, 7:16 PM

I will have to say in Mike Young’s defense he is a great HC. We he took over Wofford’s BB program the facilities were sub par and they were moving up to the D-1 level. Mike stays at Wofford because it’s a great place to work. It is not about the money. I believe Coach Young probably making less than $300,000 per year. One of the things I love about Wofford’s AD Richard Johnson is he is very patient. He gives his coaches like Mike Young time to build a team that can be consistently competitive every for year, which they have been the last 6 or 7 years. Mike has coached Wofford to some big wins to. He is 5 for 5 when playing for the SoCon Tournament Championship. They beat the coots by 20 points this year, in 2017 that beat NC in Chapel Hill. Something we have never done. The Terriers have made the NCAA tournament 5 times since 2010. Since 2009-2010 Young has had a winning conference record every year but 1 in 2012-2013.

I agree with you Judge. I don’t think Mike Young would be a good fit at Clemson because of his age. Clemson needs to either get behind Coach Brownell or hire a energetic , young , aggressive HC whose is an up and coming coach with great potential. IMO we must take a chance on a young guy. Get behind him and show fan support and spend more money on basketball and give him time to change CLEMSON BB Culture. But the administration has to be on board. If they are not going to show the money and give the fans something to get excited about so fans will get behind the team and give 110% support, then I would say get use to more of the same with the men’s Basketball program no matter who is HC.

2024 orange level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Mar 23, 2019, 7:36 PM

How about Young's

13-19 win season in 12/13
15-17 win season in 15/16
16-17 win season in 16/17

Mar 23, 2019, 7:39 PM

I've met Wofford's coach, and I considered him somewhat rude. I personally do NOT like the guy. Please DO NOT HIRE THAT GUY.

Mar 24, 2019, 5:55 AM

Brownell has one more year. There is more talent at Clemson than most people realize. Good talent coming in also. The problem is PLAYER development . This is his biggest weakness. He has one year to turn the program. If Clemson can win the NIT, this would be a life -saver for BB. Let's see what is going to happen. I'm not optimistic but anything is possible.

2024 purple level memberbadge-donor-10yr.jpg flag link military_tech thumb_downthumb_up

Replies: 82
| visibility 1
Archives - Tiger Boards Archive
add New Topic